Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Methodis posted:

It's crazy to think that they wrote that album when they where like 16-17 though. Boys are so impressive.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Boognish never dies.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Gene probably associates being in Ween with being hosed up and if he's making an honest and serious effort to get clean then all bets are off on rational, decent behavior regarding Ween.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Gener's been through a lot lately and all but it seems like breaking up the band was a really rash and sudden decision on his part. This is embarrassing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

He also sang a tune that I don't think was ever recorded for a record called Leave Deaner Alone. It was only played live (I think) and it is exactly what the title sounds like: Deaner telling his annoying fans to leave him the gently caress alone.

If you really gotta know what the gently caress I think
Well I think that you suck, now let me finish my drink
Well I listened to your demo - I read through your kit
And I don't mind tellin' you ya sound like poo poo!

Leave Deaner alone! (Deaner! Deaner!)
I'm gonna go home...
Leave Deaner alone!

You got twenty fuckin' seconds to get outta my face
'Cause you suck the fuckin' energy right out of the place
You're a cheap made gently caress and a pain in my rear end
And you never stop talkin' 'cause you got no class!

I'm gonna go home...
Leave Deaner alone!

You're like a little fuckin' puppy dog for me to abuse
Askin' me what strings do I like to use!
I use nickel-wound doodie when I wanna rock
And I buy 'em from your mother when she's suckin' my cock!

I'm gonna go home...

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Hey Fat Boy (rear end in a top hat) owns.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

According to a recent interview on Marc Maron's podcast (WTF with Marc Maron) he interviewed Gene. I imagine that'll be up sometime soon.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Oh, well, poo poo.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I just checked the last couple of pages and didn't see this posted yet.

Deaner posted:

me and carlos sort of collaborate-------I think enough time has passed where I can finally tell my favorite Ween story of all-time.
The businesses and the people involved have long since closed their doors and moved on for good and hopefully the people involved (and Carlos himself, if it comes to that) will have a good sense of humor about this story.

In 2003 Ween released our album “quebec” on Sanctuary Records. We worked on the album for 2 years in our beach house in Holgate,NJ, a rented house in the Pocono Mountains of PA, the garage behind Aaron’s house in Pt. Pleasant, PA, my upstairs guest room, and finally Andrew Weiss’s living room in NJ. We also worked at Water Music in Hoboken, NJ and Graphic Sound Studios in Ringoes, NJ. It was not a great period in our personal lives, Aaron was going thru a divorce and I was partying way too hard myself—it was some dark poo poo. The record is one of my favorites, but it is a depressing album lyrically. It was not an easy record to make either, as evidenced by the amount of places we worked, trying to find the right environment. There are demos available online that I posted where you can hear the process at work, we racked up our normal batch of like 6 dozen songs or more before whittling it down to what was finally released, 15 tunes.

I am a huge fan of Carlos Santana. He is one of my favorite guitarists of all-time. He is playing better these days than ever before in my opinion. His music is more radio friendly, for sure, but as a guitarist he has aged like a fine wine. Only Neil Young, Prince, and a small handful of others can make that claim as they become members of the AARP.

We were working in Andrew’s living room on the song “Transdermal Celebration”, our drummer Claude Coleman had just gotten into a horrific car crash and left us w/o a drummer for the recording and ensuing tour. Eventually it worked itself out where the record took so long to complete that Claude made enough of a recovery to do the world tour with us supporting “quebec.” In the meantime though, even though Claude had played on some of the demos, drumming on the album was left up to me, Josh Freese, and Sim Cain. “Transdermal Celebration” had been recorded 3 times by this point, with a drum machine, with Claude playing drums, and the final take on the album which features Josh Freese. It was the eventual single from the album. So, we’re in the middle of this session and I get a phone call from my roadie (nameless) who also worked for a backline company (nameless) that supplied amps, drums, lights, etc. to bands touring in the Northeast. My roadie told me that Carlos Santana’s equipment (including his guitars) had arrived via a trucking company that night at their depot. Carlos was recording an appearance on “Good Morning America” the next morning and his equipment was to be delivered to the set in NYC in a few hours.

What needed to be done was immediately clear to me, I had an opportunity to play the solo on “Transdermal Celebration” through Carlos Santana’s amplifier and guitar. I had one shot at it, it meant taking a hard disk recorder to a storage space where all of Carlos’ stuff was sitting in transit. I arrived at 2am. We (very carefully) unpacked his equipment and set up his stage gear and in one take I recorded the guitar solo for “Transdermal Celebration” (the one that appears on the album, playing thru Carlos Santana’s guitar, pedalboard, and amplifier. The whole thing took 10 minutes and we were terrified we were going to get caught. A lot of people would have lost their jobs. We got the gently caress outta there really fast after that. So the solo on “Transdermal Celebration” was played thru all of Santana’s poo poo in what resembled an early morning bank heist or something……….

Of course a story like this requires visual proof, so here it is. Don’t tell anyone about these please.

-Dean Ween 6/14

an afterthought: regarding the Carlos post, i'd like to add that we handled his equipment as if it were the Mona Lisa. We photographed the way his roadie had his cables wrapped and positioned and put everything back exactly as it was found. The whole process was over as quickly as it happened. Also, the respect that I have for Carlos and the depth, spirituality and stamina of his playing is held by me in the highest regard. I am not just a fan of Carlos, I am a believer and follower of everything he has done, and yes that includes the pop singles. I felt it was important to have this be known, there is no one I hold in a higher regard. Also, I have a lifetime of experience of handling equipment, as did the other person involved, it wasn't two drunk buffoons manhandling a legend's gear, the furthest thing from it. I think it's important to clarify that. -DW

The cabinet is BROWN

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm glad he's sober and making music and alive and all that but God drat it I miss Ween.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

zh1 posted:

Holy poo poo! The Pod is loving awesome! Why did it take me so long to get around to listening to this??

I used to hallucinate to that record.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WEEN
1st Bank Center, Broomfield, CO.
2-12-16

What Deaner Was Talkin' About
Buckingham Green
Beacon Light
Bananas and Blow
Japanese Cowboy
Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)
Now I'm Freaking Out
Roses Are Free
A Tear for Eddie
Your Party
How High Can You Fly
Nan
Puerto Rican Power
Tick
Wayne's Pet Youngin'
The Goin' Gets Tough
Mister Richard Smoker
Wavin' My Dick in the Wind
Gabrielle
Ooh Va La
Awesome Sound
The Stallion, Part 3
Big Jilm
Licking the Palm for Guava
Mushroom Festival in Hell
Even If You Don't
Sorry Charlie
With My Own Bare Hands
Don't Laugh (I Love You)
Boys Club
Homo Rainbow

ENCORES:
Fiesta
Buenas Tardes Amigo

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

God Of Paradise posted:

That poo poo happened to me once, where my date screwed the guy onstage. It sucks.

Which band?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Dean claims that in the list of all-time onstage Ween meltdowns, that show might crack the top 20, but it became infamous because it happened just as Youtube was taking off.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Okay what is this Mike Gordon stuff?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

They're not hippies. They've never been hippies. They've never purposefully catered to hippies. It's weird that hippies think they have ownership of Ween fandom.

Ween have never been all sentimental about their audience anyway. I mean, Dean wrote a song telling his fans to leave him the gently caress alone when they see him in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: