Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Allen Wren posted:

Bebel Gilberto goes exotica on No Return

"Goes"? This sounds exactly like everything else she has ever done, that is, gluttonously cheesy synth-bossa? I haven't heard the original though, so maybe it's cool in juxtaposition or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Yeah if you like shoegaze you should probably listen to twee.

This is true, but not just because you'll probably like it, but also because twee as a genre/scene contains all the talent the lack of which shoegaze musicians hide behind their awful meandering song structures and pointless "noise" ("sound" would perhaps be more accurate). To me, almost all acclaimed shoegaze sounds like a combination of the worst aspects of Jesus & Mary Chain's (anaemia) and Sarah Records' (lyrical and artistic banality) musics, though there's a couple of modern bands I like (I can only think of Asobi Seksu but I do think there's others).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

hatelull posted:

Because I dig the Reid brothers (and admittedly know gently caress all about Sarah Records), what do you mean by "anaemia" in association with the Jesus & Mary Chain? Is this a reference to how utterly bored, laissez faire, just-don't-give-a-gently caress they sound or is there something else I'm missing? I'm not looking to start some nasty fight. I just wanna know what it is about their sound or production that leads you that specific descriptor.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I'm thinking of stuff off Darklands (or Stoned & Dethroned, but that's a different matter...) specifically, there's this irritating complete lack of energy in a few songs, kinda reminds me of Velvet Underground a lot (an obvious comparison, but I'm not thinking in terms of music, mood rather), in a bad way. Maybe it's the heroin. JAMC are one of my favourite rock bands though, so that's not so much a complaint as an observation.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tre Past Cool! posted:

I'm not sure what Sarah Records' has to do with it, are you saying you dislike twee as much as shoegaze? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

No, I just meant that the much more song-focused craft of indie pop is generally appealing to me, unlike the swiish and swoosh of shoegaze, but '80s Sarah Records style twee and most popular shoegaze are pretty similar in terms of lyrics, performance and even song structures. And, on that note, I would say Pains fall quite firmly into the twee/indie camp.

That said, even though there's a few Sarah records I love to bits, I think twee (much like shoegaze) got significantly better in the mid-'90s when most bands dropped all the horrible '80s production aesthetics and toned down the Smiths aping.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

drainpipe posted:

Going to see The Pains of Being Pure at Heart on Friday. I heard somewhere that they're not particularly good live. I hope this is not the case. :ohdear:

They're pretty good, I liked their live show a lot better than their recordings (particularly that abysmal new album, thankfully I saw them before it came out).