Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been exploring new music on Spotify lately, and I've absolutely fallen in love with Devics. They're definitely more on the dream-pop side of things, but some of the tracks on their newer albums get into "wall of sound" territory, even including a post-rock tone occasionally. Everything they record is beautiful, but the music is challenging enough to keep from being boring. I shared a Spotify playlist (which is sadly missing the newest album) here.

Also, Lush. Goddamn it kills me that they only released four albums (well, three plus an EP compilation). Unlike most bands, their sound actually seemed to improve as their songs got a bit poppier. Split is probably my favorite album of all time, and I would have liked to see their continuing evolution after Lovelife.

Are there any currently-active bands with the same sort of sound? I prefer female-fronted dream-pop to stuff like My Bloody Valentine, but most of what I see billed as dream-pop is pretty boring and uninspired. I'm looking for more Halou and less Mazzy Star, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MinibarMatchman posted:

e: Also, echoing the love for Lush; if you like MBV, definitely pick up their album Gala, which was the the band at their most raw, free-formed stage and in my opinion, they were at their best when they were this experimental with the vox and feedback.
I think Split is my favorite album because it struck just the right balance between shoegaze and dream-pop. It has its hauntingly beautiful moments (Desire Lines and When I Die) and its rock-out moments too (Hypocrite and Black Out).

Lovelife was good too, but it was obvious that they were (intentionally or not) gradually moving to a more accessible, radio-friendly indie-pop sound.

Also, referring back to the OP, I have no idea what the hell "twee" is, but I really like The Pains of Being Pure at Heart -- and especially their newest album -- so I guess I'm into that too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

origami posted:

This is more trip-hop than shoegaze but at least it's not from 1993 - Phantogram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2tfSnPPXg&feature=related

I dig this tune but I'd say the majority of their material is stronger when the dude is not the lead singer.
I discovered Phantogram on Spotify last week. I'd say they're more experimental trip-hop than anything else, but I like their sound.

I just saw that they're playing in my town in a couple of months, so I'm definitely going to check them out live. For electronic-based bands like this, it's always interesting to see how much they can actually play live as opposed to recorded loops and such.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Astreal is a female-fronted shoegaze/dream-pop band from Singapore with a neat electronic sound. I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread yet, and I really like what I've heard so far.

"Fragments of the Same Dead Star" album on Spotify

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_dSeWIZkkI (probably their most "dreamy" sounding song, not all of it is this mellow)

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 10, 2011

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
After finding them on Spotify, I loving love C'est la Mort.

I'd call them "gothy dream-pop" with a shoegaze influence. A lot of their songs sound like a darker version of Lush. The female vocals are great; the tracks with the male singer not so much.

Spotify album:
http://open.spotify.com/album/6tvbr6qXdP0ybreBb2cToM

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zfKJb6DU04&hd=1

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Probably Magic posted:

Chiming in here on the Lush love, by far my favorite band. Concurring on Lovelife being not wholly representative of the sound for most of their career, which makes it ironic that it's the most popular of their albums. A great band, though, and Gala is a guaranteed listen for shoegazer fans everywhere.
Lush is hands-down my favorite band -- not just shoegaze/dreampop, but from any genre, ever.

I'm probably alone in thinking that Split is their best album. I love everything they've put out, but I feel like Split strikes a perfect balance between their earlier noisy sound and the later pop-sounding stuff. The album has such a great flow, too -- whoever ordered the tracks is a genius, because "Light from a Dead Star" is an excellent set-up for the noisier middle tracks, and "When I Die" is the perfect ending.

"Desire Lines" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded (the instrumental build-up starting around 3:20 is incredible):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9tcEuUWuhc

I've never found a band that sounds quite the same. A few of the tracks from Film School's "Fission" album, and short-lived 90's band Dreamscape (not to be confused with the kind of terrible new-age band of the same name) come the closest.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
While it's certainly not Lush, Miki Berenyi recently sang on a few tracks from the Seinking Ships album "Museum Quality Capture". (Spotify link)

Judging by the interviews I've read with the surviving members of Lush, they're not exactly opposed to a reunion (at least to play a few shows, if not an album), -- they haven't gotten the right offer yet. Coachella has approached them a few times but wasn't willing to pay what it would cost them to drop everything, meet up, rehearse, and play a show.

Maybe someday. I was sure I'd never get to see the Pixies play live, but then one day there I was in the front row with Joey Santiago's guitar almost literally in my face while he improvised the "Vamos" solo. Seeing Lush back together for a few shows seems a lot less far-fetched.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mr. Stanfield posted:

Can people recommend me similar stuff?

My only forays into shoegaze/dreampop are pretty much MBV and Tashaki Miyaki which I both love but more so Tashaki Miyaki's slower, lo-fi, depressive pop sound.
Check out Lush's album "Spooky". I really enjoy their later stuff too (more, in fact), but it definitely got poppier as time went on.

I'm also a big fan of Astreal's "Fragments of the Same Dead Star" album, which is a bit more electronic/ambient, but very good, spacey dream-pop.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cowbeef posted:

Mew is releasing a new album after 6 years. Bassist Johan left before the production of 2009's No More Stories but he has returned for the lastest album and tour.

Check out the video for "Satellites". The full 6 minute version is on Spotify.

They're going to SXSW this year, but I hope they make shows in other US cities. Been a huge fan for about ten years now. Any Mew fans on SA?
Oh, hell yes.

I don't know if I've ever really thought of them as shoegaze, but they're still awesome and have one of the most amazing live acts ever.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mapparu posted:

Is there any shoegaze bands from China or Russia?
Speaking of Asian shoegaze, shoegaze/dreampop band Astreal is from Singapore. They're really good (and, sadly, I'm pretty sure they're defunct).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtSD_Zavj1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMhI6Y2ONqY

Edit: Or maybe not -- their Facebook page shows them recording new music as of late last year.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 4, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Lush is playing at Coachella tomorrow night, but apparently not on one of the stages they're broadcasting a live stream from. That sucks.

Edit: Looks like they're not playing until next weekend. http://pitchfork.com/news/64844-lush-forced-to-cancel-coachella-show-due-to-visa-issues/

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 16, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fenrir posted:

I feel like everything I look for in shoegaze has already been done and nothing else seems to recapture it for me.

The Split album by Lush, Loveless by MBV, a couple of the better Alcest records and Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life. Is there anything else out there that will give me that feeling? Or did I just kinda explode the genre by listening to only the best of it? I listened to Lush and MBV in college, 20 years ago, then got into Alcest and HANL like maybe 5 years ago... so I've got a 15+ year gap in here.

The only thing I can think of otherwise is that shinywhateverstuff from russia that I was listening to a week or so ago and it did get my interest - enough to make this post and ask for more.
Lush's Split is maybe my all-time favorite album, so at least for me it's hard to get to that high-water mark, but I've found other shoegaze stuff that appeals to me.

Are you looking for stuff that's similar to what you liked, or other good shoegaze-y stuff that doesn't sound the same? I haven't found much that scratches the MBV itch, but for Lush...

More similar to Lush:

Deep Cut - Real good Brit-based, girl-fronted shoegaze, obviously influenced by Lush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTDffxWk750

Film School - Generically shoegaze-y, this particular album has some Lush-like songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1d7RHnZxVc

Good, doesn't sound like Lush at all:

Astreal - Singaporian shoegaze with a post-rock feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMhI6Y2ONqY

No Joy - Ranges from dream pop to riot grrl, insanely good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbGpYUbozg

And some stuff I'll probably get poo poo for lumping in with shoegaze, but it's loving great:

Devics - Mellow dream pop, but their album Buxom gets noisy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0J1Tufhsc4

Mr. Gnome - Experimental dreamy noisy what the gently caress pop, my favorite band along with Lush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHShd5p-h9I

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 4, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Singaporian dream-pop/shoegaze band Astreal hasn't released a new album since 2006's excellent "Fragments of the Same Dead Star".

Until yesterday, that is. Out of nowhere, a new 7-song album called "Light" showed up on Spotify. I'm not sure if I like it quite as much as their previous album, but it's still pretty good!

Spotify link

Haven't found anything to link to on Youtube yet.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I think my favorite song of last year is "All That Heaven Allows" by Mercury Girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFf0h-Q0zQ

(The Youtube audio is a little bit muddier than the version on Spotify, so check it out there if you can.)

It's sort of neo-riot-grrl meets shoegaze, maybe? There's some similarity to No Joy or The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but more... jangly, I guess.

It looks like they only have a single out, but their first LP is coming out later this year.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 23, 2017

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fenrir posted:

Awesome. Wish I'd have caught the tour. Hell, the last time I saw them live was when I was in high school. Miki was like, my big crush when I was 15 or so.

And yeah, Phil just up and left so there had to be something wrong. Maybe he wasn't really into the whole idea at all. I don't know.
:same:

Lush are one of my favorite bands, and I was really crushed when they re-dis-banded before I had a chance to see them live.

Judging by various interviews the members had given over the years, none of them ever seemed to be really excited about the idea of reforming. Obviously, the band broke up in a tragic way, and between that and nearly 20 years of them having lives and families mostly outside the music industry, it's not that surprising that things didn't work out when they tried to get back together.

At least we got a pretty good EP out of the attempt. I never thought I'd get to hear a new Lush song again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Red Ryder posted:

http://kexp.org/shows/the-morning-show/

In case you missed it, today on the KEXP morning show they played all shoegaze~
I love KEXP so much.

And I discovered a couple of bands I didn't know about from this morning's show -- including Soft Science, which seems to be the second coming of Lush (which were themselves the second coming of Lush until they imploded a few months into their reunion).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm gonna be the unpopular guy here and say I love most things shoegaze, but I've just never liked My Bloody Valentine.

Lush, though, one of my top three all-time favorite bands. I'm bummed they couldn't make the reunion work; they're one of those bands I never saw live when they were together, and then for a fleeting moment I thought I might have a chance.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ofecks posted:

Epiphany? Awakening? Profound Moment? I've had a few of those related to music. They are the small things that can make life worth it.
I've had that a few times, mostly when I was around high school age.

The first one I remember was hearing Depeche Mode's "Violator". I'd been listening to whatever boring radio butt-rock was happening around 1989/1990, and hearing that album made me realize there was amazing music out there that wasn't being played on mainstream stations. Imagine going from Poison and Skid Row to the stuff they were playing on 120 Minutes.

The next was seeing Lush's "For Love" video on my friend's Sega CD demo disc, and going that afternoon to buy the "Spooky" album. And I haven't stopped listening to shoegaze since.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Please, Tobi Vail, tell me which genres of music are acceptable to play and enjoy in 2021.

Vaporwave? New Romantic? Norwegian death metal? Third-wave ska?

Actually, gently caress it, I'm gonna go listen to some ska.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ofecks posted:

CDBaby is still around?!? I remember being introduced to it in 2002 when Ken Andrews released his 2nd solo album that way (On - Make Believe). I want to say they let you listen to stuff before buying. Don't remember if it was in full like Bandcamp or not.

I have several friends in local bands who made pretty decent side money through CDbaby back in the early 2000's.

They originally focused on selling physical CD's from indie bands, and the owners and staff listened to each album before agreeing to sell it on the site. The bands could select from a few preview options, but I believe the default (at least at one point in time) was a 30-second clip of each track, and one or two full-length tracks that you could listen to before buying.

CDbaby is still around, but like everyone else they've made the shift to digital distribution. Now I think they mostly work with indie/small-label bands to get their music on Spotify and Apple Music and presumably take a cut from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ofecks posted:

Sometimes I would wonder if Emma still played music, as the last I heard she was a full-time working single mom, raising a kid. I guess the answer is a resounding "yes"!

I was excited about the short-lived Lush reunion and consumed every live recording I could find. Unfortunately, Emma's voice has changed enough that she didn't sound very good on the old Lush songs (plus perhaps she was 20+ years out of practice). It was especially jarring because Miki can still nail those vocals.

I'll check this out for sure; hopefully she's come up with some songs that fit her current singing voice better.