Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

ROFLBOT posted:

(Too bad Adorable didn't even get a single mention in the entire doco though)

Glad to see you mention them. Adorable's Against Perfection is one of the most perfect examples of britpop/shoegaze that I know of. I put it right up there with things like Longwave's The Strangest Things and so on. Just a fantastic album by a critically overlooked band. All of you should check 'em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

robin_ac30 posted:

Great live too, caught them a few times on that tour they did supporting Curve.

Oh my god, what a lineup.

I'm a huge Curve fan - how were they live?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Bumping this thread with a bit more Curve love. No reason, just revisiting on Youtube. Here are some highlights:

Chinese Burn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0qbqZeoIk
Ten Little Girls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ProMC3LB4PM
Horror Head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7_ufLazwM
Fait Accompli (extended): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW94HUWC8WY

Stunning production by Alan Moulder.
Toni Halliday will haunt your inadequate goonish dreams....

Fist-bumping you with genuine appreciation and in total agreement, forums poster username Josef K. Sourdust. Man, Curve was such an underrated band back when they were active, and they still don't get enough love and recognition currently, as well. I'm a huge fan, and through my last 8 or so years as an enthusiastic and actively-practicing record collector, I've gathered the following Curve albums, each one in their glorious format of beautiful, precious vinyl:

Clockwise from upper-left:

Curve Radio Sessions (complete with a neat poster folded in the sleeve, too!)
Cuckoo
Horror Head 12" Remixes
Doppelganger

Clockwise from upper-left:

Chinese Burn 12" single - which has the badass Dean Garcia remix made under his "Headcase" moniker - love the vocoder work on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzmuz2NbBWk
Missing Link 12"single - includes the Trent Reznor remix
Fait Accompli 12" single
Pink Girl With The Blues 7" single
Clipped/Galaxy 7" single

Additionally, I also have the following records below, which aren't in those two prior photos posted above because they're currently at my old place:

Blindfold 7" EP:

Coast Is Clear 7" single:

Coming Up Roses 12" single (which includes the rad remix by loving Kevin Shields, which is a musical pairing that makes total sense, IMO):

I wish that CDs hadn't been so popular around the time that Come Clean was released, which was in 1998, as Curve basically ceased putting out their future releases on vinyl after that. Granted, they weren't exactly lighting up the Billboard charts and also had some record label troubles, which resulted in a gradual shift from Curve releasing albums in multiple formats (including vinyl) to only releasing albums on CD, with some of their final released work being available only digitally via downloads, MP3s, etc.

I can't remember how I found out about Curve, but I got into shoegaze very significantly from industrial bands, actually - I think Curve opened for Acumen Nation on one of their tours. My introduction to Curve was via Come Clean, which I think had been cited within industrial circles that I was in as a good album that married guitar-heavy, distortion-emphasis style with electronics/industrial-ish sounds, with all of it working well together and anchored by a rad frontwoman. Once I first heard Come Clean, I was in love right away and then worked my way backwards in their discography (with their earlier albums like Cuckoo, Doppleganger, and Pubic Fruit still being some of my overall favorite Curve records).

What I love about Curve's sound, among many other reasons, is how it straddles multiple genres fairly effortlessly - they can be aggressive enough to fit the industrial niche, they can have terrific hooks that could be considered more of a hard rock genre, their earlier albums lean quite a bit on shoegaze, or some of their lighter tracks could be classified as straight-up pop songs (with absolutely zero implication of that being a bad thing whatsoever). Plus, Toni was/is married to Alan Moulder, and that's not a loving downside at all as far as who's behind the boards for producing an album (or in his case, albums).

Sure, they get labelled as a precursor of Garbage's later eventual output (and it's not a totally unfair comparison, IMO), but Curve really explored far more ground than Garbage ever did. I think that also resulted in collaborating with a lot of different types of musicians, too - Curve was a band who could get Falling Free remixed by Aphex Twin and get another track from the same album, at the same time, remixed by some big beat group like Lunatic Calm, or by a shoegaze pioneer like Kevin Shields, or by Trent Reznor, and so on. That's a really admirable trait in my opinion and I really wish that there were comparable bands around today.

Actually, that's a question for this thread: ARE there any similar groups currently that share Curve's sound?

edit: if anyone is a fan of Curve's more shoegaze-y songs, you should definitely check out Dean Garcia's solo band SPC ECO, which features his daughter on vocals, I believe. Here's one of the first singles they put out called "For All Time": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPtyDjQEyCc, which is a really good song, IMO. Even for folks who aren't Curve enthusiasts but are still fans of general shoegaze overall should totally give that song a chance. I haven't heard a ton of SPC ECO's other output, but from the stuff I've heard so far, it's all pretty consistently solid.

edit: woah, YES, Swervedriver tour! Yessss.

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2014

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there anywhere to rent Beautiful Noise? I went to rent it last night but saw you can only buy it for $15 on Vimeo, and I don't really feel like paying that much to watch it once.

Seconded by me, as well.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Has anyone seen the shoegaze documentary Beautiful Noise? I've really wanted to see it since I saw initial blurbs about it when it was still in development stages a while back, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd love to know if any shoegaze fans in this thread have seen it and what anyone's thoughts are about it.

Doc site: http://www.beautifulnoisedocumentary.com/