Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

diddy kongs feet posted:

Does anybody know of any artists similar to Tokyo Shoegazer, MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS and NUMBER GIRL? I'm straight up hooked on this sound right now, particularly MotFD and to an extent Number Girl, though I know NG is a little more on the noise side of things. I just can't find anyone that nails it like these artists do. More into the heavier/noisier shoegaze and less so the pop stuff, but willing to give anything a go.

That Tokyo Shoegazer song is awesome, checking out the others. I've always figured Japan had some great shoegaze bands but never really checked out anything other than Luminous Orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Liking The Crocodiles a lot.

http://open.spotify.com/track/1qX3bo9rJLeNTqR5muipTv

edit: why isn't anyone "the" anymore.

glompix fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 6, 2013

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Ashmole posted:

Nice. They're on Spotify if you want to hear "Take Heart".

I love this album. It has that spacey, noisy feel most of us are looking for in this thread, but still sounds new and updated. I get vibes that remind me of Broadcast and My Morning Jacket, and I love it. The Broadcast vibes really come out on Oh Crust, but the whole album has a little of it here and there.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I like black metal but I don't think that bright, full sound really makes sense with lo-fi + BM vocals. I'd probably love it if the recording weren't so flat and muddy and they didn't scream. I'd say "more Enslaved, less Darkthrone" if that makes sense. Also I can't listen to the opening riff of that first song without thinking I'm listening to Agaetis Byrjun.

It's sooooo close to being awesome.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Did That on Television posted:

I don't find a lot of shoegaze especially memorable although I enjoy much of it when I'm listening to it if I'm in the right mood (high?). Is this an unpopular opinion, should I just stick to dream pop? :shobon: Also, The Radio Dept needs to release some new material already...

I agree with this somewhat. MBV's stuff and maybe a handful of tracks from random bands like Airiel and No Joy are the only tracks I find myself humming. It's hard to develop hooks in shoegaze, I think. That isn't to say that shoegaze hasn't influenced and made better psych rock, dream pop, and all that other wonderfully hummable stuff. There's just a lot of material out there that sounds a lot alike and I think it's perfectly rational to put it on random and zone out a bit.

Just find some curated playlists to follow on Spotify and put it on random. That's generally what I do. v:shobon:v