Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would like to drop Curve into the mix. Toni Halliday and company actually toured with the Jesus and Mary Chain and Spiritualized (where Spiritualized actually opened for everyone) on the stateside Rollercoaster tour.

Curve - Horror Head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xMR7mYPWU

This is off their first LP, Doppleganger. If you like it, definitely check out that album and the subsequent compilation of EP's Pubic Fruit. Between those two albums, there is a sublime collection of what Curve was doing which, for me, was a sweet romance between shoegaze and the electronic sounds that were starting to creep up in the early 90's (see JAMC's Honey's Dead from the same era). Their next LP, Cuckoo, is slightly more edgy but still definitely worth hearing. After that, things taper off into more predictable sound possibly influenced by what was going on with electronic music in the late 90's. By the time Come Clean (their 3rd LP) dropped in 1998, Garbage already had a serious collection of singles and a successful record and though they two had similar sounds at that point Curve got lost in the noise.

To carry on the female vocalist motif, Lush often played gigs with Ride and had a possibly too perfect mix of shoe gaze and what the OP refers to as Dream Pop.

Lush - For Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4aHdMxM0k

Finally, if we're going to talk about bands like Spiritualized, Spacemen3, and Slowdive then we can probably mention Galaxie 500.

Galaxie 500 - Tugboat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wlixo0IRlc

Submarine were a blink-and-you-missed-them shoegaze band that did a superb cover of "Tugboat" on their Kiss Me Until Your Ears Bleed ep, that you should absolutely find if you like the stuff in this thread.

Submarine - Jodie Foster (live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvGBC-pDq4

Finally, I think Mercury Rev deserves a mention here if only for Yr Self is Steam.

Mercury Rev - Chasing a Bee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztKNzjgshfY

They probably drift more toward the psychedelic pop territory where the Lips reside, but a track like "Frittering" just begs for some walls of distortion.

Mercury Rev - Frittering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dms5WyiNZJU

re: Silversun Pickups v. Shoegazey
On the record, they're a fairly straightforward band writing songs that Corgan probably wishes he had written in an attempt to recapture the magic of Siamese Dream. Live, they do get loud and noisy in the most acceptable way possible. Very enjoyable.

This ended up being a fairly lengthy wall of text, so I apologize for any TL;DR sentiments. I do love this particular flavor of music.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

That's his daughter on the vocals right? It's pretty solid stuff, and I feel ashamed for not mentioning it. ;)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My only problem is that I have no idea what bearing the anime shot had on shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine, or Loveless. I guess it shares a title with maybe the band or the album, but that's as far as my knowledge extends.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was completely expecting that link link to be "Black Metallic", so thanks for the surprise.

Since we already mentioned Spacemen3 and J. Spaceman's (Jason Pierce) departure to form Spiritualized, it's only fair to mention Sonic Boom's (Peter Kember) post-Spacemen3 project Spectrum.

Spectrum - Don't Pass Me By
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGzQj9pHuw&feature=related

drone, drone, and drone. Yeah, not terribly surprising given what Spacemen3 sounded like. However, Kember also did Experimental Audio Research (EAR), which is exactly as the project name suggests.

Experimental Audio Research - Transistor Music for Ring Modulators and Tremolo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-k_jJVwpA&feature=related

Experimental Audio Research - Data Rape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy8DNVMZuBY

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TheIndividual posted:

[They] put on the best, and loudest, live shows I've ever had the pleasure of seeing

Admittedly, I'm responding to this because your username is tits. However, this cannot be said enough. These guys will absolutely destroy live. I am rarely, if ever, a fan of live albums but their double disc Live at Royal Albert Hall is one of my favorite things ever. An absolutely brilliant band who totally deserve their own thread. New album next year!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

origami posted:

I couldn't get into Songs in A&E - sounded like a completely different band to me. Pierce may have lost it or something.

Keep in mind that prior to recording that album the dude had a fierce case of pneumonia and from what I've read, technically died twice while in the hospital. It's different to be sure, and overall probably not my favorite. However, I think there are some stellar tracks ("Death Take Your Fiddle", any of the 'Fire' tracks, and everything after "Harmony 5"). The material translated way better live.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They're not new and certainly not around, but Drugstore did an interesting mix of Mazzy Star and Jesus and Mary Chain. Their first album (released in 1995) was a permanent fixture in my CD player. The other ones were not so great.

Drugstore - Baby Astrolab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdk5irzWNrE&feature=related

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ras Het posted:

To me, almost all acclaimed shoegaze sounds like a combination of the worst aspects of Jesus & Mary Chain's (anaemia)

Because I dig the Reid brothers (and admittedly know gently caress all about Sarah Records), what do you mean by "anaemia" in association with the Jesus & Mary Chain? Is this a reference to how utterly bored, laissez faire, just-don't-give-a-gently caress they sound or is there something else I'm missing? I'm not looking to start some nasty fight. I just wanna know what it is about their sound or production that leads you that specific descriptor.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Calvin Camus posted:

I'm a big dream pop fan but somehow I missed Spiritualized. Thanks to this thread, I can't stop listening to "Ladies and Gentlemen..."

You should absolutely work backwards and check out Pure Phase and Lazer Guided Melodies, especially if you're a fan of the dream poppiness found in LAGWAFIS.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! THE POWER OF J. SPACEMAN COMPELS YOU!

Sweet Heart Sweet Light is going to drop in April and the man is taking his brand of religious noise on the road. Anyone remotely close to these dates should definitely experience this, as it is gorgeosity made flesh my brothers.

Pitchfork posted:

Spiritualized:

03-16 Nottingham, England - Rescue Rooms
03-17 Portsmouth, England - Wedgewood Rooms
03-19 London, England - Hackney Empire
03-20 Oxford, England - O2 Academy
03-21 Bristol, England - O2 Academy
03-22 Glasgow, Scotland - ABC
03-23 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Mandela Hall
03-24 Dublin, Ireland - Vicar Street
03-25 Manchester, England - Academy
05-02 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
05-03 Chicago, IL - Metro
05-04 Detroit, MI - The Majestic Theatre
05-05 Toronto, Ontario - The Phoenix
05-07 New York, NY - Terminal 5
05-09 Boston, MA - Paradise
05-10 Washington, DC - The 9:30 Club
05-11 Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
05-12 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
05-13 Atlanta, GA - The Variety Playhouse
05-15 Dallas, TX - The Granada Theatre
05-16 Austin, TX - Emo's East
05-18 Tucson AZ - The Rialto Theatre
05-19 Phoenix AZ - The Crescent Ballroom
05-20 San Diego CA - Belly Up Tavern
05-22 Los Angeles CA - The Wiltern
05-23 San Francisco CA - The Fillmore
05-25 Portland, OR - The Wonder Ballroom
05-26 Vancouver, British Columbia - The Rickshaw Theatre

No Houston date for me, so I'll most definitely be journeying to the Austin date.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I am totally going to be at the Austin date. I only just started listening to Spiritualized and my mind is already blown. I totally need to be there for this.

Oh sweet Jesus do you ever ...

Depending on what your entry point was, they will either melt your face or splatter your brain on the ceiling, depending on prior experience. Even when they release "bad" albums, the live show is always such a wonderfully phenomenal piece of sound. The last time I saw them, they opened with "Amazing Grace" that he played faithful and then like a soft projectile to the skull the bottom drops out and it's pure bliss. To hear them go from absolute chaos into something like "Electric Mainline" is an awesome thing.

e: punctuation, but my mistakes are saved forever.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 30, 2012

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

Songs in A&E. I'm aware that it mostly goes up from there.

Amazing Grace is a weird one-off album that I don't think got heavily toured and has a slab of gritty garage rock sounding stuff, especially considering it was a follow up to the crazy orchestral Let It Come Down. However, all of his albums have some quality gems. Still, Lazer Guided Melodies, Pure Phase, and Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space are absolute classics and definitely albums that you should hear post-haste.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

To be fair, the dude did almost die prior to recording the album. Also, their sound has changed/evolved (take your pick) from album to album. That's why Lazer Guided Melodies does not sound like Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space which does not sound like Songs in A&E. I hear notes of their style in all the albums, but sure they change or take a different aesthetic per release. The new record is supposedly more "poppy" and he was apparently heavily influenced from the live LAGWAFIS shows he did.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mother of God ...

On the off chance that Houston goons are reading the shoegaze thread in the SA Forums, you guys should seriously consider seeing the The Jesus and loving Mary Chain at the house of blues next month.

It will get loud.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I got the new Spiritualized album and it's not very good. I had been hoping that A & E was a fluke and he'd be back to recording cool stuff but I guess it's that time when he'll just make increasingly bad albums until he quits.

At least I'll always have Lazer Guided Melodies, the best Spiritualized album, to listen to.

What specifically did you not like about it? I mean, the dude has never been one to go back and retread on a sound or style he already covered on a previous album. Were you really expecting to throw that disc in your player and get Guided Melodies with More Lazers?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TheIndividual posted:

It's not their best, but there are some really fantastic songs (I Am What I Am, Too Late, So Long) on there that I think are up with their best stuff. And yes, I realize that I'm saying this as someone with a Spiritualized influenced handle on here, so perhaps I'm extremely biased to enjoy it from the get go.

I, for one, cannot wait to see them in a couple weeks and hear these songs as I imagine they're meant to be heard - loud, and with lots of flashing lights.

I think "Hey Jane" is a killer single, and while my nick on here doesn't reference the band I am probably biased toward most everything Pierce does. Having said that, I really enjoy "So Long You Pretty Thing." "Little Girl", "I Am What I Am", and "Too Late" are pretty solid for me as well. I try not to hold everything up to the pedestal of my favorite album, and so this record fits somewhere between Let It Come Down and Ladies and Gentlemen ... for me. It's obviously not as face melting epic as LAGWAFIS, but it has a bit more bite than the very poppy and orchestrated Let It Come Down.

I'm seeing them in a few weeks too, in Austin. It makes up for me missing the Psych Fest this weekend, and has the potential to be my favorite show of the year. Say what you want about his studio releases, but the man rarely if ever disappoints at a live show.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ashmole posted:

Yeah it's the Psychfest in Austin this weekend - a lot of good shoegaze stuff.

Make sure you see Black Mountain. They're not exactly shoegaze (more Pink Floyd mixed with a healthy dose of Sabbath), but they will still melt faces. They played a show up last night in Houston and it was a hell of a thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

When I saw them on the American leg of the rollercoaster tour, (with Jesus and Mary Chain and Spiritualized which pretty much was a mind melting experience for me) it was a symphony of buzzsaw guitar and those dancey early 90's beats similar to what JAMC was playing with on Honey's Dead. There was strobe and a lot of smoke. They did "Cherry" she stayed ghostly in the fog until the song exploded and she was right in our face and I found myself in love with the world. "Fait Accompli" just oozed sex and she was almost menacing with the "I've come to crush your bones" line.

I saw them again with the Dandy Warhols in support of Come Clean and they were somewhat more of a straight up rock band bearing more resemblance to Garbage than they're 90's roots.

I missed the Cuckoo tour and I still lose sleep over it.

Now I want to go home and find my Curve LP's.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Jesus and Mary Chain are apparently doing the nostalgia thing with Psychocandy.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-jesus-and-mary-chain/77286

I wonder if they get Bobby to drum for them.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Ride playing Toronto tonight!! So unbelievably excited.

That said, listened to Tarantula for the first time ever today ... wow that was almost completely terrible. The solo acoustic track was okay.

There's some severe "being in a band sucks" burn out with that record it seems. I think Gardener and Bell couldn't even stand to be in the same room by that point.

Having said that, I'm probably going to be getting a FunFunFun Fest pass for Austin this year. Ride AND Charalatans UK on the bill? Yes, please.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Smithereens posted:

hi fam,

i'm looking for recommendations for bands that sound similar to galaxie 500, spacemen 3, or spiritualized. i've already listened to all of the bands and albums mentioned in the first post and am currently looking for some albums that aren't considered classics.

i'm working my way though the thread so i hope this isn't a repost somewhere.

Have you ever heard Space Needle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnrMz5NeUKY

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rite Of Massage posted:

new spiritualized album next year and he's playing a 20 yr anniversary show of ladies and gentleman we are floating in space. sadly only in london though :(
http://pitchfork.com/news/68667-spiritualized-releasing-new-album-next-year-announce-ladies-and-gentlemen-shows

Hopefully some pro-shot footage surfaces from this because hot drat that record still holds up. They can be a religious experience (no pun intended?) live. Soo good.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sort of context, and I imagine most everyone that bothers with this thread has already seen it. Pitchfork dropped a 50 Best Shoegaze Albums of all time article. I'm a sucker for these listicles, and at least pitchfork might make the attempt to put in work and mine some of the less seen records of the genre. The top ten is super predictable, and you absolutely know what the number one record is without even bothering to look. I was happy with a solid amount of the selection. The inclusion of both early Curve LPs makes 90's me a happy lad, I really enjoy their Bardo Pond record, and the Mercury Rev selection is easily my favorite from them.

However, in the opening rules they state their inclusions are set after the release of Psychocandy and then don't bother to include any JAMC. Honey's Dead could have made the cut. Also, they got Pete Kember to do the preface and then skip out on any Spiritualized, Spacemen 3, or EAR records.

Still, it's an easy scroll. I dug into some Pale Saints yesterday and remembered how much I like their sound, and Ulrich Schnauss is always nice.

e: repetition sounds repetitious

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 25, 2016

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ha. I just realized I had the first two M83 records swapped in my head and that the one with "*" did not make the list. Power of Negative Thinking is such a great collection. It's a great stroll through their entire career, and I don't find myself getting bored with the later material (unlike say the similar in purpose Cure box set). I wish it had the extended "Sidewalking" from Sound of Speed though.

e: I guess they were avoiding ep's, because man I would have included the "You Made Me Realise" ep (or either of the Loveless eps) over the last MBV record. Color me a non-purist, but while I appreciate that record for existing it's not something I pull out on a regular basis or want to hear as much as an album like Isn't Anything.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 25, 2016

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Superimposition posted:

On an unrelated note, any people here that know of any electronic shoegaze bands/artists I should check out? I know of Ulrich Schnauss but nothing else of the sort tbh.

The first two M83 records might scratch that itch for you. Also check out Seefeel.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I love that Nothing record. They were super good live, and I hope they do more music because hot drat that was an amazing show.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rumor has it, the spaceman has ONE more LP left in him. Regardless of continued output, the Spiritualized camp has been waking up over the past few weeks on social media. This dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vNrHoLS1zc

I can dig it.

update: New album apparently confirmed as imminent.

https://pitchfork.com/news/spiritualized-announce-new-album-and-nothing-hurt-share-2-songs-listen/

hatelull fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 12, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I like both of them. He's always had a sweet tooth for that Phil Spector huge production pop confection sound, and this is definitely sugary sweet. I'm not expecting him to regress into the sound of those first three huge LPs but I bet some of those new tracks turn up the volume and let loose a bit. Still, I don't think he's writing "cop shoot cop" for 2018.

I'm excited because new album hopefully means tour. Say what you want about the records, but that dude can put on a stellar live show.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 12, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Saw Nothing and Swirlies last night on their current tour.

Swirlies were appropriately noisy and chaotic, with vocal choices more akin to the MBV style of "just another layer in our sound." They were fun. Nothing were blistering. The new material is really great live, and I dig their dual vocal sound. I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy getting my face melted. There are not many dates left, but totally worth a go if they're hitting your area.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

For your Jesus and Mary Chain fix, Honey's Dead would be an excellent entry point. They're breaking away from the "drugged out Scottish kids with busted amps" sound of Psychocandy and digging into a more polished leaner sound. You should definitely check out the earlier material though. Darklands is one of my favorite records ever, and it's a very stripped down sound for those guys compared to their first LP.

Also, check out Pubic Fruit from Curve. More wall of sound shoegazey goodness with Toni Halliday's dreamy vocals. Curve toured with JAMC and Spiritualized in the early 90's, so those three bands are definitely covering some of the heavy hitters of that scene.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 25, 2019

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Just saw on the social medias that Failure and Swervedriver are soon to announce dates for a forthcoming to, so I definitely say HELL YEAH to that action.

I will start burning 90's Alt-Rock CD's at the stroke of midnight in an effort to steer the tour to my city.

Unrelated: I love you J. Spaceman and I buy all your records but playing Dallas and Austin while ignoring Houston is super not cool.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cuckoo is a strong contender, and the Recoil track is tight but THIS is the best Curve track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJukLbmHqxY

I could lose myself forever in this song.

Also, you lot ever dig on Submarine?

I discovered them on this very same Volume comp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eWSP0CwuY
Possibly more in line with Mercury Rev or Flaming Lips but it was definitely scratching a shoegazey it for early 90's me.

Sadly, I think their stuff is long out of print but they have some solid albums.

"Jodie Foster"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpe2T0GXe8

They do a solid cover of Galaxie 500's "Tugboat" as well, but not easily found on youtube.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

incontinence 100 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDmmQz2Y5M

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet but Swervedriver have a new album out. It's ok. Definitely no Mezcal Head.

I caught the back half of their set when they opened for Failure and they were really great. I had listened to the new one a few times prior to the show and that is totally accurate.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Now I am infinitely regretful I did not see him on this recent tour (ATX and Dallas, no Houston).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoM3Ym1neJY

I still dig that album, as stripped down and straightforward as it is and this is a pretty solid live cut for what is probably the closest thing to a current single he's got.

Anyone know how long he's been performing seated?

edit: Vague post was Vague. That link is Spiritualized doing "Baby, I'm Your Man" live on Colbert.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 5, 2019

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

trem_two posted:

Been that way every time I've seen Spiritualized going back to 2003.

I remember earlier shows in the 90's and early aughts he was standing. I wonder if it's a health thing (dude DID almost die), or just an aesthetic. He had lyrics in that Colbert clip.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

kaworu posted:

I have been trying to find people who will appreciate just how incredible this recording is, and I think this may be the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-M3rs6Vm5c&t=12s

I've been a big fan of New Order for too long and this is really the best recording of one of their shows I've found in terms of both sound/video quality and the quality of the performance. Just doesn't get much better than this IMO, this was right after they had just written Hurt and Temptation (early version of which close out the show) and just... yeah, this is my fave era of New Order by far. Stephen Morris is so tremendous, especially in the first song.

Less than a year after Ian died and Joy Division ended and they were pulling that off.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

...paging precision ...

Spiritualized announcing a reissue of Lazer Guided Melodies.

https://store-us.spiritualized.com/

Curated by the Spaceman. He will get my money.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

Really (like REALLY) hoping it's a new album, but it's probably just their existing stuff going up on streaming services outside the US.

It'd be nice if the "You Made Me Realise" EP and their other material absent from US streaming joined the scene. I haven't heard m b v in forever and can't remember if I liked it or not.

e: I probably did not.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Soo ... based on social media posts it was more material added to the streaming services and a some physical re-releases. In the states so far the only thing new is m b v. I'll be revisiting that one today at work.

I still miss my You Made Me Realise CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

While I fully understand the need to have it as an individual physical object, it is available on the EP's 1988-1991 compilation album, but you probably already knew that :)

I did not actually. Was it a release that happened in the huge gap between Loveless and m b v? That compilation is also absent from US Spotify, but it's apparently going to see a physical re-release.

Also, I found my CD single for "You Made Me Realise" and the one for "Feed Me With Your Kiss" (which I don't even remember buying back in the day). I dumped all my CD's back in a great purge due to a combination of not wanting to haul them around when I moved, and the constant vehicle rotation. The latter became even more of a moot point when streaming took off and it was just easier to play music from a phone or from a service hooked up to a home stereo, and since MBV were readily available on Spotify (and my Zune/Groove back in the day) I dumped a huge amount of stuff. Most of it with no regrets, although I do miss the two Submarine CDs and the Curve that I purged. I had the foresight to rip them though, so they hopefully they live in my iTunes for all time.

Curve needs to follow Kevin's lead and put their stuff on streaming services.