Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Parasoul actually has the best animation I've seen in Skullgirls thus far. Here's hoping they continue getting better and better.

That said, I'd like to see them bump the game speed up a bit..

btw, there are IRC links in the OP under Resources now. Check 'em out and come hang out with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.
"Later on?" I think you mean, "Ships with GGPO."

Dizz posted:

God I seriously hope this comes out for PC.

You're in luck! It's been severely hinted at, and the dev version is on PC. It just won't launch on the PC.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I just realized the other distracting thing for me is the sound effects. It's like all the hit sounds were put through a high pass filter.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The hit sounds are actually not final, but I really hope they keep the KO sound because it's badass.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tae posted:

So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.

3D models have no effect on how ggpo works. Street fighter 4 could have had it if capcom had wanted it to. 3D models however are vastly more cost and time efficient to work with.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mega Comrade posted:

3D models however are vastly more cost and time efficient to work with.

For reference, Skullgirls has been in production since before Street Fighter 4 was released.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Gutcruncher posted:

For reference, Skullgirls has been in production since before Street Fighter 4 was released.

That's a completely disingenuous comparison.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Gutcruncher posted:

For reference, I have a basket of apples while you have a basket and a half of oranges.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

For reference, I have a basket of apples while you have a basket and a half of oranges.

Yeah after posting that I realized that the sprites werent the ONLY reason its been taking so long.

Ok how bout this. It took SNK about two months per character to draw the sprites in KOF12.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
SNK is a company with a fighting games division. Also, the KOF12 sprites are lower resolution and have fewer frames than the Skullgirls sprites. Finally, the artwork of KOF12 came first, with the gameplay and balance later or never.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

SNK is a company with a fighting games division. Also, the KOF12 sprites are lower resolution and have fewer frames than the Skullgirls sprites. Finally, the artwork of KOF12 came first, with the gameplay and balance later or never.

Point being 2d sprites take long as hell to make. You actually just proved my point that eventhough they arent as good as skullgirls sprites and they have a whole fighting game division, they still took ages to draw. 2D takes a helluva lot longer to make than 3d.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Broken Loose posted:

SNK is a company with a fighting games division. Also, the KOF12 sprites are lower resolution and have fewer frames than the Skullgirls sprites. Finally, the artwork of KOF12 came first, with the gameplay and balance in KOF13

This

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Gutcruncher posted:

Point being 2d sprites take long as hell to make. You actually just proved my point that eventhough they arent as good as skullgirls sprites and they have a whole fighting game division, they still took ages to draw. 2D takes a helluva lot longer to make than 3d.

2D looks better though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

This is irrefutable fact.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Broken Loose posted:

Good job missing the point. Again.

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

Also this is very true.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
edit: gently caress it.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 29, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I reuploaded the B3 video since whoever had it up before deleted it. Even if you don't have time to watch the whole thing the grand finals are worth watching.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Gamest Mook posted:

I reuploaded the B3 video since whoever had it up before deleted it. Even if you don't have time to watch the whole thing the grand finals are worth watching.

Is this the tourney where Valle used his CC for the first time? I can't remember which B it was.

Nevermind, just read the description. :v:

fix yr hearts fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 29, 2011

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

Personally for some games I'd disagree. I hate the animu 2D look. I also doubt Street fighter 4 would have been the hit it was if it had stayed in 2D.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega Comrade posted:

Personally for some games I'd disagree. I hate the animu 2D look. I also doubt Street fighter 4 would have been the hit it was if it had stayed in 2D.

It could've been because SF4 was the most lenient and easiest execution version to date, especially compared to Third Strike.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Tae posted:

It could've been because SF4 was the most lenient and easiest execution version to date, especially compared to Third Strike.

3S has probably the most lenient and easiest execution after SF4...

edit: not to mention BnB poo poo is way easier

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 29, 2011

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tae posted:

I don't think so. I was working in a game shop when it was released and most people who bought it had no idea about how difficult the inputs were our cared. They just thought it looked cool, something people had never seen before yet strangely familiar at the same time.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Gamest Mook posted:

Watching John Choi experiment with the valle CC mid-match is the coolest loving thing.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

I like 3D graphics a lot more, when they're clean and competent. I like MvC3, SF4, and Tekken graphics more than almost all 2D fighters.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
3D is way harder to parse quickly IMO which is really the most important thing in fighters, especially something like Marvel where the state of the game can change a lot from moment to moment. I guess there's no reason it has to be that why but for everything thus far it has been. Also the animation in SF4 and MvC3 is pretty tragic compared to 2D games. SF4 especially, stuff seems to ignore fundamental rules of animation and thus has very little snap to it. Even SF2, with its very limited frames, looks better just by virtue of having very good keyframes.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 29, 2011

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Gamest Mook posted:

Wow, thanks a ton for this. I've had the lovely WMV of this for a while and I had thought I lost it when I switched to my latest computer. Been waiting on someone to reupload it since then.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Gamest Mook posted:

Thanks for this. I've been looking for this for a long time now.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Ashenai posted:

I like 3D graphics a lot more, when they're clean and competent. I like MvC3, SF4, and Tekken graphics more than almost all 2D fighters.

Congrats on hating good art.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Shiki Dan posted:

Congrats on hating good art.

I don't hate it, I just don't care about good art in my fighting games. After about 20 hours played, the quality of the art stops mattering completely. And I dislike SF3 art, for example, because the extra animation frames actually make it harder for me to know what's going on, exactly. I much prefer relatively long, static keyframes in 2D fighters. SF2 is actually one of my favorite 2D fighters, graphics-wise, despite it being really ugly by modern standards. That game made it easy as hell to see when a move left active frames, for example.

I want my art functional, not good. And I'm actually pol's opposite here: I can usually read 3D movements better than 2D sprites. MvC3's action looks clearer to me than MvC2, for example.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 29, 2011

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It all depends on what you grew up with, I guess.

I can follow pretty much any 2D game instantly (although Skullgirls is mindfucking me because of the lack of borders on characters), but put me in front of any 3D fighter with garish hit sparks all over the place and I get lost.

One of the many reasons I don't enjoy SF4 at all is because I can't even tell just by looking where the hell moves are supposed to be hitting.
Somehow I had less of a problem with MvC3, but even still that game has tons of dumb hitboxes in general.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Ashenai posted:

SF2 is actually one of my favorite 2D fighters, graphics-wise, despite it being really ugly by modern standards.

But... SF2 isn't ugly. Unless your definition of ugly is "how big is the resolution" and not something that actually has to do with aesthetics.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's no third strike, but SF2 looks drat good for its time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
SF4 is pretty ugly but I don't really care all that much.

Honestly, it depends on how well its done, not whether its 2D or 3D. 3rd strike and tekken 6 are both gorgeous. Mvc2 is a beloved game but it looks like rear end, especially if you don't play it on an old crt.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

SF4 is pretty ugly but I don't really care all that much.

Honestly, it depends on how well its done, not whether its 2D or 3D. 3rd strike and tekken 6 are both gorgeous. Mvc2 is a beloved game but it looks like rear end, especially if you don't play it on an old crt.

MvC2 looks good except for the backgrounds. All the sprites are really great though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

MvC2 looks good except for the backgrounds. All the sprites are really great though.
The main problem with MvC2's sprites is how much they contrast. You have the ones pulled from DarkStalkers, the ones pulled from Alpha, the ones made like 5 years ago for an entirely different game, the ones made for MvC2 specifically...

It's amazing it doesn't look more slapdash than it does.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

3rd strike and tekken 6 are both gorgeous.

3rd strike I agree with but Tekken 6? I thought it looked like complete arse, when I bought it I was surprised how dated the graphics looked, it looks like an xbox 360 launch title. Even the new tag one looks horribly dated to my eyes as well, I'm guessing it runs on the same engine.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Well, if Tekken 6 looks like "complete arse" what 3D fighting games do you think look good or even 'average'?

BTW, Tekken 6 came out in 2007

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

40 OZ posted:

Well, if Tekken 6 looks like "complete arse" what 3D fighting games do you think look good or even 'average'?

BTW, Tekken 6 came out in 2007

There aren't really many to choose from. I'm aware when Tekken came out but it took them over 2 years to port it.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Tekken 6 doesn't look that horrible. Not spectacular but it's not really jarringly bad or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
I was surprised how good tekken 6 when I bought it. after watching videos of it on my computer for a while I thought it'd look pretty awful, but the it looks great in person.

• Locked thread