Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Reading this OP takes less effort than smacking a baby!

You should link that stick image to amazon or somewhere so we can find it easy

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Broken Loose posted:

SNK is a company with a fighting games division. Also, the KOF12 sprites are lower resolution and have fewer frames than the Skullgirls sprites. Finally, the artwork of KOF12 came first, with the gameplay and balance later or never.

Good job missing the point. Again.

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

Also this is very true.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The best thing about MvC3 are the special intro/outro voices for certain character matchups.

e: and the fighting too i guess

ee: they're adding even more in ultimate too, like clips for being the last character and poo poo. it's cool

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Mochiballs posted:

I'm saying the importance of tier lists are conflated because they aren't accurate for every player and they're bad because they have a detrimental effect on new players.

Tier lists are only considered Real Ultimate Knowledge by bad players who are bad and you shouldn't be listening to them anyway?? Also I don't think you know what conflated means

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Tits are pretty much just DoA's "thing" now, like gore in Mortal Kombat.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Are there any characters who are intentionally designed to be just the 'basic' or 'beginner' guys, in the same manner as Ryu or Wolverine or whoever?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Fingers McLongDong posted:

:pcgaming: NEW GOONSGARDEN FOR NEXT WEEK, SUPER TURBO THIS TIME :pcgaming:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sfchzh8qfv

Rules are in the signup page, going to do a quick ST tourney for fun this time. Everyone can play this game because it's on PC!! yay!!

I've never played ST. Gonna body y'all though

e: oh it's at 3am, gently caress that

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5825Wu0WjA

A friend just linked this to me. I know Brawl is generally laughed at, but it's quite epic.

This and Wombo Combo are the only smash vids i've ever enjoyed

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Broken Loose posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-miss-skullgirls/721769

Miss Fortune walkthrough. She's pretty awesome in her own ways. Not at all what I was expecting, and as the video goes on it gets more and move obvious how powerful she is.

:holymoley: this is gonna own

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm actually looking forward to playing Cerebella because I can finally use a grappler that's (relatively) easy to use on keyboard.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Konstantin posted:

GGPO is great, sure, but that isn't my point. Let me use an analogy here. My car isn't designed to go off-road. I could spend a ton of effort and money to modify it to improve it's off-road capability. However, no matter how good those modifications are, my car still wouldn't have anywhere near the performance of a purpose built off-road vehicle.

Adding online capability to these games is like adding off-road capability to a car. If you start with the idea that you are designing an online game, you'll get a better result. If you try and add it in later, no matter how good you are, you'll get an inferior result because you are dealing with the limitations of the original design.

Online play should never be the focus of a fighting game.

In your analogy it'd be like a dude who lives in the middle of the city buying a four-wheel off-road monster. It's not necessary and it makes it way shittier for the places where it'd get actual use.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Dizz posted:

And I thought Skullgirls had potential BEFORE!

Every new character they release makes me hope this gets a PC release more and more.

PC release is already confirmed

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Pretty sure they've said it's coming to PC in one or two videos or it's on their site or something. I definitely saw it from an official source.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Cat Machine posted:

I won a competition and now I get to play Strekken, UMVC3, TTT2 Arcade and Tekken Hybrid this weekend :D

Make sure to give us the Exclusive Goon Scoop

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The skullgirls site posted an interesting article on how they'll be approaching tutorials:

http://skullgirls.com/2011/10/tutorials-teaching-the-untechable/

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't understand, who else would make them?

You see, we should ask the fighting game community for balance decisions and ideas. This is definitely a good idea and is in no way going to end up as a complete loving disaster zone.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Fayk posted:

It's a little more complicated than that - I bet their designers are more competent (but not ideal) than you give them credit for...the problem is they are trying to serve two masters. They are trying to give the game enough depth to appeal to 'serious' players, while also trying to serve the market/martketing, et cetera. I doubt they think things like comeback mechanics are ideal, except they know it's needed for the game to be successful.

Yeah. I mean being a fighting game developer has got to kind of suck because you have to put SOMETHING big and flashy into the game to appeal to the marketing board.

Imagine trying to explain something like the concept of footsies or tiger-knee motions to a suit who knows nothing about fighting games. It's a hell of a lot easier to talk about your incredibly high-fidelity ultra combo animations or whatever.

40 OZ posted:

1. Take a single top player who is respected member of community and has shown deep understanding of FGs (Again, Renegade and Viscant right off the top of my head)
2. Pay him a salary
3. He is no longer allowed to enter tournaments
4. This one guy "weighs all their input and see the points of intersection."
5. This is the best model for balance patch decision-making, currently.

How do you pick your mystical all-knowing fighting games guy? Do you hold a vote? Which population do you ask? How do you know he's going to get things right? Does he have to balance everybody in the game? What if he doesn't know much about certain characters? What if you end up with one guy changing your game into his ~dream vision~? How do you decide to deal with the problems that are created afterwards?

It's a nice idea but it's really impractical and wouldn't work in real life, ever.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
It'd be funny if Capcom did a "and here's the glitches you DIDN'T abuse" release after ultimate drops.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Wezlar posted:

I'm not saying I think the QA team is awful, they do a decent job. But considering they couldn't find the DHC glitch, the spencer glitch, the zero glitch, the captain America infinite, and sentinel shipped with 10 billion health etc. I kind of have a tough time believing that if you faced them against the top players in the world at whatever game that it would be a "bloodbath."

It's really easy to say this when you haven't seen the other fifteen hundred glitches they did fix.

e: basically what bl said

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

kaujot posted:

Skullgirls walkthrough from NYCC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GG67Xoms0Ig

Wow I really like how the UI is shaping up, this is gonna own hard

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Where are the Skullgirls fights from Season's Beatings in the spooky archives? (wow i post this a lot)

e: nvm found it (1:23 here if anyone's interested)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
What's with all the crossover characters recently? First Kratos, then Cole, now Soul Calibur V is getting Ezio as a star. If anyone cares.

I guess it's better than Yoda and Vader?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gamest Mook posted:

I liked it but I wouldn't complain if the game was sped up some more. It's not going to happen though.

They already sped it up 10% based on fan feedback. I guess if more people talk about it they might change it even more. I doubt it'll hit MvC2 levels though

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Groghammer posted:

SC is more fun the less you know about SC. When it's two people who know extremely little mashing away and laughing at ludicrous comeback ring-outs it's pretty fun.

Oh god this. SC3 was my first fighting game and I played the poo poo out of it with my family. My dad would always beat everyone with Voldo because seriously how the gently caress are you supposed to block that guy? You could do a thirty hit combo just by mashing buttons.

Raphael owned though, command dodge ftw~

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
New Skullgirls Friday Night Fights is live:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/10/28/skullgirls-friday-night-fights-the-short-skirt-war

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Trailer for the Soul Calibur V character customisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAZTv_7yxoA

I have to say, even though the game is likely going to be awful, the creation is looking really robust.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Simple inputs, lots of pretty effects and funny moments (i can't count the number of times my dad has ringed himself out) and cheesy dialogue to laugh at. I'm banned from doing fancy moves though :(

I spent hours playing the SC3 singleplayer and unlocking all the characters and weapons. It was amazing every time I unlocked someone I didn't even know existed, like Olcadan :allears:

e: like, trying to get your family to play Street Fighter with the unintuitive combo systems and inputs and stuff would be a nightmare. But anyone can pick up SC and hit buttons and make cool things happen.

e2: Oh you mean why isn't it competitive? I have no idea. :I

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 2, 2011

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
AFAIK the general opinion is that SC2 was good and competitive then Namco hosed it up by adding a bunch of stupid mechanics and characters. Like that one from 4 who can score a ring-out from anywhere on the stage.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Groghammer posted:

So most of you have probably seen the Meet your Skullgirls trailer. But I noticed something that was easy to pass by.

At 1:03, we go through Ms. Fortune's preset assists before choosing a custom action. The first one? "Fiber Uppercut".

I love this game.

An 18 hit combo also comes up as 'barely legal' :v:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gamest Mook posted:

oh my loving god http://imgur.com/a/BnA7Q

Literally rufus irl

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I leave stream chat on because it makes stuff much more hype when you can see two hundred other people also go nuts whenever something cool happens. Also there's a funny joke sometimes.

It's kind of like a laugh track.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Didn't SC3 have a similar tutorial system? I distinctly remember trying to grind my way through that thing and taking forever on the guard impact bits. It also rewarded you with a cool weapon unlock for completing everything. Perhaps Skullgirls should do that, but with a unique costume colour or something.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

redmercer posted:

Did I misremember Skullgirls being announced for the PC? I just looked at the website and saw no mention of it.

Yeah it's coming to PC, but at a later date than the XBL/PSN releases.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Additionally, some characters might have safejump setups or mixups off normal throws that they can't get from their command throw. (not that I could give you any examples)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
How quick would you transition from a keyboard? :sweatdrop:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Skullgirls just revealed the new character Valentine: http://skullgirls.com/characters/valentine/

No video or anything yet but she looks like she could be interesting I guess?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Sade posted:

The only character left to reveal is Umbrella now, and we still haven't seen any gameplay of Painwheel. What's the release date on this game again?

Q1 2012 for consoles with PC soon after.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

SNOT CORN posted:

Why do all the characters except for peacock look like the same basic design with a few different elements? It kind of looks like they just traced the same one several times and added stuff.

They all look kind of similar in still pictures because there's only so many things you can do with Big Titty Anime Lady but in motion they're all completely different through their movesets and animations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Sony are making their own Smash-style franchise fighting game with characters like Kratos and Sweet Tooth being featured in screenshots. Hopefully it turns out fun.

e: apparently it's called Title Fight?

quote:

Early November 2011, word of the the game first emerged on The Paul Gale Network, which claimed it featured a number of Sony mascots, including Parappa the Rapper from PaRappa the Rapper, Kratos from God of War, Sly Cooper from Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal, Colonel Mael Radec from Killzone and Fat Princess from Fat Princess.[3] The report also mentioned a Sandover Village stage from Jak and Daxter, Hot Shots Golf characters in stage backgrounds, a LittleBigPlanet stage and a Buzz! trivia mini-game. A James Bond character was also mentioned.[3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Speaking of scenes: where are the main ones in England? I'm going to uni soon and it'd be cool if I could just catch the tube from Cambridge or something.

• Locked thread