Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Maximilian has started a 3rd strike online warrior series for those interested in a good players take on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mantle posted:

Why would you come in here to post but not provide a link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GBwi3BGwk4&feature=player_embedded

Thought I did. Doing this from a phone sorry.

Might it be an idea to link some of the community shows like online warrior and excellent adventures in the OP actually? I know that personally they helped get me get more interested in the community aspects of the fighting game scene.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 26, 2011

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

bromplicated posted:

I have been putting in some hours into training mode but after a few hours session I feel like I'm ready to try out the Bread n butters out on people but I never can pull anything off in a real match..

!

After you have the combo down change the dummy to cpu and try to land it. The computer plays in a pretty predictable fashion so it isn't the same as a real match but it should help you.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tae posted:

So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.

3D models have no effect on how ggpo works. Street fighter 4 could have had it if capcom had wanted it to. 3D models however are vastly more cost and time efficient to work with.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

Personally for some games I'd disagree. I hate the animu 2D look. I also doubt Street fighter 4 would have been the hit it was if it had stayed in 2D.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tae posted:

It could've been because SF4 was the most lenient and easiest execution version to date, especially compared to Third Strike.

I don't think so. I was working in a game shop when it was released and most people who bought it had no idea about how difficult the inputs were our cared. They just thought it looked cool, something people had never seen before yet strangely familiar at the same time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

3rd strike and tekken 6 are both gorgeous.

3rd strike I agree with but Tekken 6? I thought it looked like complete arse, when I bought it I was surprised how dated the graphics looked, it looks like an xbox 360 launch title. Even the new tag one looks horribly dated to my eyes as well, I'm guessing it runs on the same engine.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

40 OZ posted:

Well, if Tekken 6 looks like "complete arse" what 3D fighting games do you think look good or even 'average'?

BTW, Tekken 6 came out in 2007

There aren't really many to choose from. I'm aware when Tekken came out but it took them over 2 years to port it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

SF4 would look a whole lot better if the camera didn't have to zoom in for every Ultra and win pose. SFxT is even worse, why Capcom insist on reminding you it's 3D every 5 seconds is beyond me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

http://www.zavvi.com/games/games-accessories/hori-officially-licensed-real-arcade-pro-stick-vx-sa/10487368.html

It's sold out sadly but christ that's a good price, likely an error.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

I'm really curious to see how Marie plays. Double, too.

Mostly because I don't want to be Peacock player number 5001.

Marie has a skeleton vacuum cleaner. She better be playable eventually.

The character designs in this game go from incredibly original straight to boring as gently caress with seemingly nothing in between.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

KingShiro posted:

LevelUpYourGame is now doing their own version of Excellent Adventures with Tekken 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrIBqS9yfQ

A nice idea but they will have to cut it a lot more then adventures. Last time I played Tekken 6 about 1 in 5 games was playable.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Double Bill posted:

So pretty much like UMvC3, but with some hope of improvements.

No, UMvC3 has far better netcode. Umvc3's main problem is its bar system lies so it appears worse than it actually is.

I borrowed my friends copy of KofXIII and got maybe a handful of games that I found acceptable. It's a fantastic game but I'm not buying it until I see if this patch solves anything.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tekken 6 online is dreadful. The game just doesn't work with even slight delay far more so than 2D fighters. When it came out I picked up Lilly and after only an hour in training was able to absolutely wreck people online because you can abuse the poo poo out off her slow start up flips.

I did get some of the best hate mail I've ever gotten in a fighting game though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I thought Hitomi always looked European?

She should, she's meant to be German.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Gremlin Solutions are good too, they're based in the UK but they ship internationally

I got my parts from Gremlin and can also vouch for them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 20, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Thinking about buying a new stick. Torn between quanba q4raf

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/qanba-q4raf-arcade-fighting-stick.htm

And the new SFxT pro stick.

Any advice would be amazing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cheers for replies. Own a ps3 although no fighting games. Seems like the quanba matches the pro if not beats it for quality. I like the VS but that's £75 more.

Start button isn't an issue, have spare buttons from an old SF4 SE stick.

One worry, cable is only 9 foot, i have usb extenders kicking about but will that cause input delay?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I got them with a western digital external hdd

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I didn't think it would but just wanted to check :-)

Well Quanba it is then.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Schmendrick posted:

There can't be a community with more elitist jerks than Third Strike.

Agreed. In no other game have I been constantly told to "stop playing my game!" The mentality makes my head hurt.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

There can I find a quanba q4raf for the cheapest price? Play asia?

PlayAsia is certainly one of the cheapest places I found. I ended up getting it from Gremlin Solutions as they are based in the UK and I like to support the little guys. Plus PlayAsia bit me in the arse once when I wanted to return something.

Sometimes paying that little bit extra is worth it for the peace of mind.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 25, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

SF4 isn't significantly more complex than ST though, it's just bad.

For someone who clearly doesn't like SF4 you certainly talk about it a lot. Don't get me wrong you post some informative stuff too but you do bring up how bad you think it is an awful lot.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The sf4 se stick is very easy to mod. Check prices though as after modding you might be able to get the TE first edition for only slightly more if not cheaper.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

My Qanba Q4RAF arrived today and it is glorious. It also comes in a loving gorgeous box too. Oh and a little postcard with the sponsored players on it.

My SE stick looks puny and pathetic now.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 28, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

uncleKitchener posted:

Where do I buy parts here in UK?

If you mean stick parts

I highly recommend http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A Sf4 engine darkstalkers isn't ideal but i agree with fauxtool that it's better than nothing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome, thanks. I dunno how much damage is considered "good" in this game but getting from a cr.LK to 327dmg with one EX move doesn't seem too bad for something I've been making up on my own.

I can only seem to land a HK Angel Knee off a wallbouce and then nothing after that bit I'll keep trying!

Off of wallbounce I usually just do l.angel knee, c.mk xx dendrobium.

General advice on that team, start with Juri first. She doesn't rely on meter like Lily. A decent bnb is c.mk xx m.pinwheel. cross cancel into lily l.angel knee, l.angel knee, st.HP xx LK Sunflower Lancer + follow up. Cost of 1 meter, builds almost 3/4, 426 dmg.

Meter is king in SFxT, don't waste it on ex moves unless you have to or the move has certain properties that apply to the situation.

Head over to the SFxT thread if you want more advice.

bleep posted:

Yep, they did the same thing with Tekken 6.

Have they ever said why they do this?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 12, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahh missed that cheers. I suppose that sort of business model is actually viable in Japan.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I have no idea how SC5 is doing but SC4 sold just under 2.5m, so you'd think it'll probably trail off at around the 2m mark, if the reviews are as influential as people think

SC5 is selling terribly which is a real shame because it's so much better then SC4. I don't think it's even broken 300'000 world wide.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Is SxT really as slow as it looks? I never played SF4, but I always enjoyed watching streams of it. I tried watching some of Arturo's stream of SxT, and it was the most godawful boring fighting game I've watched. The characters are so big it seems like their pokes go across a quarter of the screen, and they have a geriatric walking pace and just slowly float through the air when jumping.

A lot of the cast (most of tekken) have really awful walk speed. However with the faster air game and various normals that move characters about I'd say overall the game is faster than SF4. That isn't saying much though I admit.

HoobastankTheReason posted:

The damage is also terrible, excluding infinites.

Compared to what? Most cross cancel BnBs do between 400 - 500 health (without Gems). That's half health for a lot of characters.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 16, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I like both because I'm a terrible person.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've been using stick for 3 years and haven't had it yet. I rotate my wrist in between games though, don't know if that has helped.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Except it's not.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I got a quanba q4raf. Highly recommend it and its plain black with a changable top. Eightarc and quanba are literally the same sticks as both are made by quanba so quality would be the same.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Electric Crayon posted:

the Qanba looks super nice. Is the start button on the face ever a concern? I do like to mash in MvC2.

I've never hit it by mistake but if it's a concern eightarc have it on the top of the stick like the TE.

An old TE would probably be cheaper but the quanba and eightarc work with PS3 and Xbox so if tournaments are a possibility for you it would be handy.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 21, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

kaujot posted:

The Eightarc has the start button on the face.

The fusion doesn't.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rekkit posted:

Is there a particular reason why most players at MLG are playing MK/SC5 with controllers instead of sticks? Aside from personal preferences, are inputs somehow easier on controllers for those games?

Both MK and SC5 are very controller friendly, in those scenes there was never any benefit from learning stick so most just never did.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you pad on SF4 than Juri

Fireball store is important to Juri which you do by holding a button down. Unless you claw the controller this is really hard on a pad. Even on a stick playing with one finger held down on a button for most of the match takes a while to get used to and something I would think would be a hindrance to someone trying to learn the basics of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The person asking advise isn't a tournament player though. I still wouldn't advise learning the game with Juri either way.

Edit

Thinking about it a little more I suppose you could map the left shoulder button to lk which is the the fireball store you will be using 90% of the time, that would alleviate the awkwardness somewhat.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 2, 2012

• Locked thread