Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

The big event seems to be leaning toward a major reboot.

Marvel loves teasing this, but even a line -wide renumbering would make very little sense given how many new ongoing books they've launched/will launch since last November. Heck, they literally just announced a new Inhumans book that kicks off the month before Secret Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Soon every #1 will be followed by another #1, sales statistics having finally proven that other numbers are inferior and unnecessary.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

Marvel loves teasing this, but even a line -wide renumbering would make very little sense given how many new ongoing books they've launched/will launch since last November. Heck, they literally just announced a new Inhumans book that kicks off the month before Secret Wars.

That's honestly the thing that keeps me from feeling certain. The only way I can reconcile this is if some how, there is an in universe way to preserve all of it. That is, the "reboot" would be just as much part of the story as anything else. Who knows? I mean, it is more likely that it will just be a shake up and not much else.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Well they just announced something pretty big at the Secret Wars press thing they are doing right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7L6mDjQHNs
Pretty big spoilers for what's coming.
There was something Ultimate related but it happened a minute or so ago so you'll have to rewind it.
THIS IS A DANGEROUS SPOILERUU is being smashed into 616 and they are going to combine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Well they just announced something pretty big at the Secret Wars press thing they are doing right now.
There was something Ultimate related but it happened a minute or so ago so you'll have to rewind it.
THIS IS A DANGEROUS SPOILERUU is being smashed into 616 and they are going to combine.

I thought we already knew that based off the map.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is the worst loving news

:negative:

EDIT: So 616/Ultimate is the last incursion?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
All the previous Battleworld teasers are getting tie-in books. Not really surprising, but it confirms that Ultimate The End is a thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So presumably Miles and a couple of friends are all that's going to survive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

So presumably Miles and a couple of friends are all that's going to survive.

Miles/Ganke get adopted by Sam's mom and we get a Nova/Spidey book is about the only compromise I would accept.

So they're killing off Jessica and the rest of the new ultimates? I can't imagine them bringing all of them but her, bombshell, and cloak/dagger were a pretty cool group (in a horrible book)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would say Miles and his supporting cast are safe. If I were doing it I would also bring Bombshell to 616 and replace the 616 Cloak and Dagger with the Ultimate ones. Makes them younger, a bit more of a blank state, and of course nobody cares about the 616 ones anyway so that would be an easy replacement. Peter got to come back and have his happy ending, and we all know why now, so there's no need to bring any of his characters over. I'm not really sure any other characters should come over, but there probably will be a few others.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bringing Peter back just to kill him and the rest of his supporting cast seems rather pointless tho.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bringing Peter back just to kill him and the rest of his supporting cast seems rather pointless tho.

Even though that's probably what will happen you shouldn't think of it in terms like that. The story was that Peter came back saw all was well without him and got to go off to live his life with the ones he loves. Yes the whole universe will be destroyed but that's not the point. He got his in story happy ending and got to ride off into the sunset regardless of what may happen next.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
For about an hour.

Still seems pointless.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Senor Candle posted:

Taking in this new information. I now lean more heavily toward a reboot, just not as soon as I thought. What they are implying as the new status quo sounds like an "event" unto itself, and not actually the way things are going to stay. My guess is that after Secret Wars resolves, what remains will last for a year or two (or three, who knows?) and then THAT will resolve into a new, clean universe. This addresses them having just recently started some new books and renumbered others since it gives them time to play with them before starting over again.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope this means that younger badass Aunt May gets to meet old feeble wheatcake Aunt May.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FabioClone posted:

I hope this means that younger badass Aunt May gets to meet old feeble wheatcake Aunt May.

616 May is plenty badass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Marvel would make the move to merge multiple versions of the same character so that they were aware of their multiple histories. Similar to the House of M memory overwrites but without the trauma.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lurdiak posted:

616 May is plenty badass.

True, but she's badass in the survived-a-lot-in-her-life way. Ultimate Aunt May will loving cap you if you mess with Peter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

FabioClone posted:

True, but she's badass in the survived-a-lot-in-her-life way. Ultimate Aunt May will loving cap you if you mess with Peter.

616 Aunt May poisoned the Chameleon with cookies because it took her half a second to realize he wasn't Peter.

So yeah, fusing both of them will generate the proper next Director of SHIELD.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Not to mention she then bluffed The Chameleon into thinking that she poisoned him in a far more permanent manner.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

May running SHIELD is now something I desperately want to see.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maybe they'll fuse and we'll have a 616 May who doesn't look like a loving shambling corpse

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

At last we get Samuel l Jackson nick fury in 616

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Blockhouse posted:

Maybe they'll fuse and we'll have a 616 May who doesn't look like a loving shambling corpse

That's funny and all but she's an elderly lady and that's kind of what elderly ladies look like.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It all depends on the artist anyway. Aunt May goes from looking like she's in her early 60's-70's to crypt keeper depending on the book.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterhaul posted:

It all depends on the artist anyway. Aunt May goes from looking like she's in her early 60's-70's to crypt keeper depending on the book.

How old is she in the cartoon? Just wondering vis via Coulson. May December thing?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Happy Hippo posted:

That's funny and all but she's an elderly lady and that's kind of what elderly ladies look like.

there's old and then there's "I cannot believe this woman is living on her own and functioning"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Blockhouse posted:

there's old and then there's "I cannot believe this woman is living on her own and functioning"

Also it's kinda weird for may to be in her 80s when she'd presumably not be that much older than Peter's parents. He's late 20s so his parents would in their 50s/60s

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'd say it's more a holdover from the time she was created, when people over 50 looked like loving ancient mummified corpses, whereas these days, you think about people in their 50s and its Keanu Reeves/Brad Pitt/Johnny Depp/Marisa Tomei/Monica Bellucci/Ming-Wa, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Agreed with Sentinel Red.

Spidey debuted in the 60s. That means May either celebrated the turn of the century, or at the very least survived two world wars and a national depression.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

FilthyImp posted:

Spidey debuted in the 60s. That means May either celebrated the turn of the century, or at the very least survived two world wars and a national depression.

I suspect she probably also turned down that scrawny Steve Rogers for a date, too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
more like she battled en sabah nur for the fate of egypt

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Or looking like this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Would you stop it already.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Or looking like this

Is that the book that tried to make May Peter's actual mother?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is that the book that tried to make May Peter's actual mother?

Yes, Trouble by Mark Millar. Now let us never speak of it again.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, Trouble by Mark Millar. Now let us never speak of it again.

I just can't tell would Millar with an editor who had authority to hit him with a pipe when needed lead to a really specular and less cynical and creepy Millar or just a dull, if not, competent Millar? Would either of these outcomes be bad?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gfanikf posted:

I just can't tell would Millar with an editor who had authority to hit him with a pipe when needed lead to a really specular and less cynical and creepy Millar or just a dull, if not, competent Millar? Would either of these outcomes be bad?

We already have that and its called Matthew Vaughn

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So I've been pretty down on Bendis and his USM lately but I purchased the USM Ultimatum tie-ins and these books are loving awesome. They just hit an absolutely perfect emotional pitch. You really get a sense of impending doom despite the absolute poo poo plot of Ultimatum (which is barely referenced beyond "giant tidal wave"). Which is strange because the Bendis-penned Ultimate event loving sucked and did not have a sense of impending doom.

Anyway, that's my way of saying I still have faith in Bendis and Spidey. When he does it right, his run easily has the makings of a classic run that ranks right up there with Lee/Romita or Stern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Bendis is really great with emotional character stuff, and big arcs revolving around his pet characters (See: Ultimate Clone Saga, or that Powers arc "Forever")--both of which I think describe the Ultimatum Spidey stuff. He's also great at building up earth-shaking events, but his writing of the actual events is almost always anticlimactic, and they tend to go out with a whimper (See: Secret Invasion, or that Powers arc where their version of Superman goes insane).

Except for that needless Peter resurrection, I haven't actually been down on USM much at all. I like where this arc went and I was sad to read that the next issue is the last one (before a relaunch maybe? Please don't be in 616 :().

• Locked thread