Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like how he pretty much immediately put the New Ultimates back together immediately. Let's all pretend that last little trip never happened.:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just got caught up with all the Ultimate Spidey stuff and is the line ended now? I can't find any Miles Morales issues past 7, did his book get put on hold because of Spider-Verse?

I saw a trade for Miles Morales earlier this week and it had a bunch of issues I hadn't read but they were definitely post-Cataclysm.

I guess what I am trying to say is with all of the new re-naming and stuff what the hell has actually come out since Cataclysm?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Aces High posted:

I just got caught up with all the Ultimate Spidey stuff and is the line ended now? I can't find any Miles Morales issues past 7, did his book get put on hold because of Spider-Verse?

I saw a trade for Miles Morales earlier this week and it had a bunch of issues I hadn't read but they were definitely post-Cataclysm.

I guess what I am trying to say is with all of the new re-naming and stuff what the hell has actually come out since Cataclysm?

The last issue will be #12, which comes out next week.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ok so there have been new releases for MM:SM

Guess the store I frequent is just really bad about carrying new Ultimate stuff (and other Marvel stuff since they still don't have any Spider-Gwen)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is anyone else kind of pissed that this USM run concludes with an ending that Bendis completely pulled out of his rear end?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, maybe we could've gotten a good conclusion to that whole arc before the end if we didn't have to spend months listening to the Secret History Of Miles' Dad like anyone cared. Instead it's just "Oh I developed some new power and busted out... but I can't use it again. Okay incursion time BYEEEEE"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
How'd it end? All I could gather is that Doom runs Hydra for Reasons and Miles somehow punches him out cold, then incursion.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How'd it end? All I could gather is that Doom runs Hydra for Reasons and Miles somehow punches him out cold, then incursion.

That is exactly what happened

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Argue posted:

Except for that needless Peter resurrection, I haven't actually been down on USM much at all. I like where this arc went and I was sad to read that the next issue is the last one (before a relaunch maybe? Please don't be in 616 :().

I actually liked the Peter resurrection, since Ultimate Peter Parker was like, a nicer guy than 616 Peter has been in a decade or two at least while having as bad (or worse) things happen to him and people he cares about. If he gets to ride off into the sunset with MJ that's fine with me, though I'd like to see him be involved in Battleworld in some way or end up in the new universe. I just want to hear the two peters bond a bit. You can even have him die super-duper for real this time in BW, as long as he's gotten the chance to chat with the important people.

Oh, and please have Ultimate Nick Fury as the new head of Shield, tia.

This whole event is going to be crazy though, even if it never hits on my wish of a hero in one of these stories realizing that the billions of people he or she shared his planet with are gone and only a handful of people are left to remember them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

krakagar posted:

That is exactly what happened

You forgot to mention that the entire fight happens off-page and is never shown except the last punch.

It was loving bullshit.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Has Miles actually had a good story? His origin with The Prowler and Scorpion Dos lasted an interminable dozen issues, Venom killed his mom, and he fought Osborn with Peter, whose resurrection went completely unexplained. Other than that, it's been a bunch of weird gang war stuff with the New Ultimates and endless Hydra nonsense.

edit: Spider-Men. I thought Spider-Men was fun, but I like Mysterio way too much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, this entire run of USM has been very lackluster and unimpressive. Bendis has been coasting on USM for a while now.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
We'll always have USM 1-133. What a run.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think I liked it up until the mom died, those stories were fine. Then I really felt the downward spiral of nothingness and tie-ins.

And the very start of the time skip was promising. Just never fulfilled its promise. Like the run as a whole...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I felt the mom dieing was kinda unnecessary and that the Prowler worked well enough as his Uncle Ben moment

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

To me the biggest draw of Ultimate Spider-Man has always been the personal moments of Peter/Miles and not the moments where he's fighting bad guys. In that sense I've pretty much loved all of the Miles run. I can understand if you're more into the superheroics of it all you might have been underwhelmed. But for me when he's just hanging out talking with Ganke or even the run with the stuff about his Dad, that's the stuff I dig most. That's where I think Bendis really shines, and that's why the entire run from Ultimate Spider-Man #1 to Miles Morales #12 is my favorite Spider-Man run ever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really like personal moments too, I just feel that after all this time they didn't really amount to much, like I was really digging Miles having to keep his identity a secret because his dad not only hates Spider-man on principle but also because he thinks he killed his wife, then Miles finally reveals it to him... and nothing happens until we get this longass story about 80s Action Cop SHIELD.

I guess my complaint is that Miles didn't do enough stuff himself? There were lots of moments of others helping him validate himself and stuff, but nothing as cool and proactive of him as, say, Peter using the wrestling money to pay off Flash's family suing them or him narrating a day in being Spider-man to Aunt May.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The biggest problem is its kind of hard to connect with Miles, he is just so bland.

It seems Bendis is more interested in Miles family and not the guy himself, which is odd.

Its his comic, but he doesn't seem to do anything.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I stopped reading around Cataclysm, did they ever explain what the deal was with the new Venom?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really like personal moments too, I just feel that after all this time they didn't really amount to much, like I was really digging Miles having to keep his identity a secret because his dad not only hates Spider-man on principle but also because he thinks he killed his wife, then Miles finally reveals it to him... and nothing happens until we get this longass story about 80s Action Cop SHIELD.

I guess my complaint is that Miles didn't do enough stuff himself? There were lots of moments of others helping him validate himself and stuff, but nothing as cool and proactive of him as, say, Peter using the wrestling money to pay off Flash's family suing them or him narrating a day in being Spider-man to Aunt May.

Bendis has a loving hard on for "History of SHIELD" where Nick fury recruits random rear end people to do shady poo poo. Absolutely no one gave a gently caress about it when he did it during his A/NA run and few liked it when he had Miles' dad do the exact same poo poo.

Bendis can really hit home on the personal fronts but the thing about USM is it used to have both great superheroics and personal moments. The issue where Shocker kidnaps Peter and beats him to within an inch of his life actually shows a really competent Shocker with emotional depth. But in a desperate attempt to make people like All New X-Men, he tied that lovely Ultimate crossover into USM and I still don't give a gently caress.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I stopped reading around Cataclysm, did they ever explain what the deal was with the new Venom?

He was an Oscorp scientist who helped Osborn build Miles's spider. Between Oscorp and Roxxon, he gained the symbiote. He then killed Betty Brant because she knew too much info and then died to gunfire.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There's the other disappointing thing about Roxxon. Roxxon was this big loving plot that Bendis has been building since late in USM Peter's game. They're always a few steps removed from the mad scientist villains they create. And then that whole thing just kinda vanishes into smoke once Cloak and Dagger are introduced.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Deadpool (who had a much better pre-Incursion finale, btw) kinda hit the nail on the head: I really enjoyed USM because the little bits of villain fighting were usually fun and never ran too long, but the personal moments were fantastic. Watching Peter struggle through all the crazy superhero stuff while juggling his own role in it, while balancing stupid high school stuff was great. Miles had to work around the death of Parker, and the reactions he got from everyone about it. Unfortunately for the series, Miles's rogues gallery was hamstrung by it being mostly Peter's. I think killing the Prowler off as quickly as they did had a lot to do with this, honestly.

I liked Miles, but his whole run got screwed up by garbage tie-ins and Ultimate events. Cataclysm was stupid, All New Ultimates was a wet, sloppy fart, and Miles never really got a chance to get past either of those events because Bendis has a pace slower than a tortoise covered in molasses. Miles had some potential, and hopefully he can realize it after the incursion. Also please do something with Spider-Woman/Black Widow/She-Peter, and keep Bombshell at the very least. I'd rather Miles keep his entire supporting cast, but those two in particular I think have some serious potential moving forward.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 10, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like bringing Peter back kinda guts Miles' entire purpose as a character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, it had kind of worn thin much sooner than that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like bringing Peter back kinda guts Miles' entire purpose as a character.

I actually enjoyed Peter's death and bought Bendis' line of dead means dead and it was totally planned. To me, him coming back leaves too many questions with Roxxon and Hydra in the background and I'm not convinced that Ultimate Peter isn't some clone or robot or some poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't see how you could buy that, the UU brings characters back all the time.

It is as silly as buying into a 616 death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm just saying, a lot less people would be a Wally West fan if Barry Allen had come back permanently halfway through the run.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

. I'd rather Miles keep his entire supporting cast, but those two in particular I think have some serious potential moving forward.

I'm assuming that everyone on the roof at the end of issue 12 is coming across to 616 with Miles

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Did they ever explain what Peter 616 saw on the internet at the end of the Spider-Men story that made him look all shocked? He was looking up Miles Morales wasn't he?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying, a lot less people would be a Wally West fan if Barry Allen had come back permanently halfway through the run.

Or that it would be one of the best Wally storyline. There is a twist, but it was still Barry coming back.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Did they ever explain what Peter 616 saw on the internet at the end of the Spider-Men story that made him look all shocked? He was looking up Miles Morales wasn't he?

Yup, that's what he was googling but it was never revealed who 616 Miles is. Bendis has hinted that this might finally get followed up in post Secret Wars, but who knows?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Or that it would be one of the best Wally storyline. There is a twist, but it was still Barry coming back.

Come on man, don't be a poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually enjoyed Peter's death and bought Bendis' line of dead means dead and it was totally planned. To me, him coming back leaves too many questions with Roxxon and Hydra in the background and I'm not convinced that Ultimate Peter isn't some clone or robot or some poo poo.

No, don't you know Aunt May said it wasn't a clone and as we all know, Aunt May is a Watcher has infallible clone detection powers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Its not like it matters if its a clone, Gwen Stacy is a clone and they still treat her as the original.

Why people get hung up on pointless details is beyond me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why people get hung up on pointless details is beyond me.

Are you a comic book writer?:v:

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, maybe we could've gotten a good conclusion to that whole arc before the end if we didn't have to spend months listening to the Secret History Of Miles' Dad like anyone cared. Instead it's just "Oh I developed some new power and busted out... but I can't use it again. Okay incursion time BYEEEEE"

It's like Bendis saw that Superman recently developed a new power where he could explode energy out of his body and just decided, "gently caress it, Miles can do that now too."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ultimate Peter's death was the first death in comics that had any real weight in over 20 years. I 100% agree that his return guts the entire purpose of Miles being Spider-man.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rhyno posted:

Ultimate Peter's death was the first death in comics that had any real weight in over 20 years. I 100% agree that his return guts the entire purpose of Miles being Spider-man.

That's the one good thing about the Ultimate verse possibly dying, is that the Peter Returns storyline will probably be a moot point.

Of course, then there'll be 616 Peter to worry about. Miles can't win. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Probably Magic posted:

That's the one good thing about the Ultimate verse possibly dying, is that the Peter Returns storyline will probably be a moot point.

Of course, then there'll be 616 Peter to worry about. Miles can't win. :sigh:

Having already read the All New Avengers FCBD issue I am kind of dreading how they will integrate Miles.

• Locked thread