Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Maybe this is more appropriate for the old thread? I was kicking around a comic shop earlier today and found a bunch of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. Now I have never read any of the Ultimate comics and Spider-Man has always been one of my favourites so I took a look and the release dates were from 2010.

Sooooo was there an Ultimate reboot a couple years ago, or a Volume 2 put out that I never heard about because I don't read a lot of comics?

Not that this matters a ton since Pete's dead :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

It actually matters a lot because they are still good stories.

I'm not saying they weren't the few that they had there I really liked. I think in 15 minutes I read issues 8-12 and thought "I haven't had this much fun reading Spider-Man since I was 8" mainly because back then I didn't know a lot about continuity and the fact that there are SO many crossovers now I'd have to spend a fortune to read the whole drat 616 series.

Why I said it doesn't matter is because that now that Pete's dead there won't be any more stories about the guy I grew up loving to read about, although I'm sure Myles will do just peachy in Pete's shoes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I was going to comment on how there's lots of books that at least include Peter if not outright starring him, but then I realized that you just might be young enough that you grew up on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Never bought a comic in my life actually, I just read at stores mainly. Hence why Amazing Spider-Man was what I grew up reading, because both my brother and my cousins had a lot of the 80s and 90s issues, I didn't get into the series big time until a couple years ago, then I learned how terrible the originals from the 60s were; I mean I've seen webcomics with better writing than some of the originals for Spider-Man and X-Men and the like

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

invalid user posted:

Can you elaborate on what precisely was so bad about the originals from the 60s were? Is this a knock on golden age plots in general? The dialogue used back in the day? The vastly different paper and art styles?

Well it's not so much an issue with the plots, I mean I expect kinda silly plots from comic books and honestly I didn't have any problems up until whenever there was an issue involving a girl in trouble. Betty Brant's brother dies because of Spider-Man, George Stacy dies because of Spider-Man and all the while Pete just goes into retard mode and doesn't try to explain the situation.

What I don't like is that these women are supposedly written as level-headed yet as soon as the poo poo hits the fan they act like the dumbest bimbos ever. It was with Gwen that I hated this the most because she appears the be the most level-headed of any of the characters and I get her freaking out but if Pete really loved her, he'd have realised that he was going to have to tell her eventually that he was Spider-Man.

Now maybe I'm wrong, and this made for good drama back then, but in this day and age it seems like the most terrible cliches thrown in because they wanted to make sure Pete could never win and they wanted to make his life hell. It feels like they couldn't figure out a more creative way to create conflict and drama.

That and like TheJoker said, there was sooo much repetition, it actually got to the point where I would skim whole issues because they wouldn't be saying anything important, just reiterating what was already known and said earlier, and that again smacks of lazy/terrible writing

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so with the conclusion of Ultimate Fallout: Death of Spider-Man does that mean we will never hear from Mary Jane, Aunt May and Gwen ever again? That's too bad since it seemed like a really rushed way to sweep them all out of the series, also Fury dropping the bomb that he knew Pete's father and had watched him grow up and was grooming and blah blah blah useless fluff that means little now that Peter's DEAD

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just got caught up with all the Ultimate Spidey stuff and is the line ended now? I can't find any Miles Morales issues past 7, did his book get put on hold because of Spider-Verse?

I saw a trade for Miles Morales earlier this week and it had a bunch of issues I hadn't read but they were definitely post-Cataclysm.

I guess what I am trying to say is with all of the new re-naming and stuff what the hell has actually come out since Cataclysm?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ok so there have been new releases for MM:SM

Guess the store I frequent is just really bad about carrying new Ultimate stuff (and other Marvel stuff since they still don't have any Spider-Gwen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sooooo when does Ultimate End launch? Or did it already and I need to hit my local store

• Locked thread