Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kaleidoscope posted:

and reboot the 616 Universe DC style in time for Iron Man 3 or something.

This will almost certainly never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

23 years old here and Ultimate Spider-man was my first Spidey book. Ultimate Fantastic Four is the only Fantastic Four as far as I'm concerned.

You're missing out on the 616 FF which has been quite great. You should read all of Hickman's run on it. Waid and Millar too. And I normally don't recommend reading anything by Millar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Hey I haven't read a whole lot of Ultimate X-Men or most of the later volumes of Ultimates, so I'm just wondering: Did we ever see what happened to Liz Allen after she became a mutant and left to join Xavier's? She never shows up again in Ultimate Spider-Man, did she die in Ultimatum off panel or something? Oh and speaking of Ultimatum what was the thing Giant Man was rambling about when he insisted Tony take the half-eaten Wasp back into his lab? I think she showed up in the Reed Richards Doom series, but she wasn't in New Ultimates Vs. Avengers? Thanks in advance if anyone can clear this up for me.

Liz joined the X-Men and became Firestar. She also showed up in Ultimate X and joined Jean Grey's 'team' but who knows where that will go with the new Ultimate X-Men book. As for the Wasp thing, I think it may have been a hint toward possibly making a version of Jocasta, but my guess is that's off the table now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kaleidoscope posted:

There's also a red-haired Wasp on Marko Djurdjevic's Ultimate Fallout variant. She's either a brand new Wasp or he has no idea what any version of Janet Van Dyne looks like. Hell even the Red Wasp was blonde.

That's how Janet looked in Ultimates 3. I know we'd all rather forget, but it did happen. Her hair was red and brown in that series. Depending in the issue/panel of your choice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a bookshelf in one room that had all of my Ultimate Marvel TPBs on it. I had every single TPB that has come out so far with the exception of Ultimate Adventures, Ultimate Iron Man 1&2, and a few of the newer volumes. Today there was roof damage and water leakage above that room. All but 21 of the trades were completely ruined. Including every single one of my Ultimate Spider-Man trades. What an awful thing to come home to today. I'm about to have to spend a lot of money getting those books back. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cubemario posted:

So I did some browsing and it's my understanding that there are only 3 Ultimate Collections available for USM in Trade paperback and the rest are volumes, correct?

Yeah. The Ultimate Collections contain the same material as the hardcovers except in TPB form. The 3 Ultimate Collections of USM cover the same ground as volumes 1-6 of the TPB. So if you get the Ultimate Collections you can start getting the the trades at volume 7.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bagley is still my favorite modern Spider-Man artist, JRSR is my favorite ever. But I loved Immonen too. I can see why people didn't like LaFuente. I didn't really mind the art though. I thought it fit the stories that were going on at the time. I can't see how anyone wouldn't like Pichelli though. Her art is great. Probably my favorite on the series after Bagley.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omnibobb posted:

Email me at my username @gmail.com and lets make a deal!

Thanks for the offer, but I spent most of the rest of the day that day tracking down pretty much all the stuff I needed on eBay and Amazon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed the hell out of that issue. I'm very much looking forward to the next issue. Not quite as good as Ultimates, but still good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

What do you mean by this? He'll still be 13 unless his birthday falls between when he got his powers and Peter died. Peter's entire career as Spider-Man only lasted about a year, give or take.

That's somewhat up in the air due to Bendis's very liberal use of time. Bendis said that in USM a year passed for every 100 issues. It's probably been closer to 18 or 20 months. Peter's 16th birthday in #155 should have actually been his 17th because well before Ultimatum around issue 100 he was said to be coming up on his 16th birthday. Bendis also said in interviews that Peter was 16 during Ultimatum. And after Spider-Man Requiem there was a six month jump before Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. So yeah, Bendis.

Then of course there's the very first page of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 where Peter actually tells us his age...

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 16, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

invalid user posted:

Also, how long was that spider there? If it was 11 months, why didn't it mate with other spiders? Why aren't there a ton of mutated spiders running around giving people powers or cancer?

Well again there's the loose use of time we usually get from Bendis. We know that the spider was engineered 11 months prior to some point. Is it prior to the bite? Prior to the theft? Prior to now? Who knows really, just learn to ignore time markers from Bendis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Don't forget there was 6 months time between Ultimatum and the "Ultimate Comics" rebrand, so even assuming 1 year per ~100 issues, that's a year and a half.

Yeah, I mentioned that above. That along with the other stuff means it probably was about the time for him to turn 17, but the banner at his party said 16.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The_Doctor posted:

Next issue's out on the 28th of this month, so that's only 2 weeks between issues now, but does it mean the next one will be October 12th?

Well #3 comes out 10/5 and #4 comes out on 11/9.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultimate Hawkeye was pretty good this week, but Ultimate X-Men was great. I really loved that first issue. Laid a lot of good groundwork going forward. I also like that Ultimate Hawkeye kind of clued us in on what happened to Karen, Liz, Derek and Hulk after Jimmy left.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sion posted:

I'm not that big on how it basically recycled more than half an issue from an issue of Ultimate Fallout.

Can you tell me who Karen, Liz, Derek and Jimmy are? Also why is Jean Gray calling herself something else now?

I'm guessing you didn't read Ultimate Comics X. Which I can understand because it had Loeb's name on the cover. But it was really the only decent thing he wrote in the Ultimate Universe.

Jimmy is Wolverine's son. He had never met his father though. Kitty showed up and gave him a box from Wolverine that had stuff in for Jimmy. He heals fast and has bone claws. But he can also form a metal coating over them similar to Colossus.

Liz is Liz Allan from Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men. She was a classmate of Peter's and was very scared of mutants. Then she found out she was one. She eventually went and joined the X-Men under the name Firestar. She's also the daughter of The Blob.

Derek is a mutant with retractable birdlike wings and talons. He was kind of like a vigilante of sorts before Jean found him and convinced him to join her team.

Jean became Karen Grant in order to try and have a somewhat normal life. It was going OK until Mystique and Sabretooth tracked her down. Sabretooth killed her boyfriend and she got Hulk involved to take care of Sabretooth. Karen and Fury have also been working together. Karen helps control Hulk so he doesn't go crazy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Roboto posted:

About time the Ultimate Universe started getting cohesive again.

So now who's the current Prez? The art is so shadowy and vague it could be Obama OR a generic white guy.

Hopefully they wise up and won't name anyone. Time passes even slower in the Ultimate Universe. So it's good to not really involve a real President like they did before.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

Awww yeah, looks like we're getting badass Hammer-Axe Thor back!

After Hickman's great Thor mini this really excites me. Can't wait to see it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I posted:

Ultimate Executioner, maybe?

No, definitely Thor getting his stuff back. After Hickman's mini managed to make Ultimate Thor's backstory clear for the first time I'm glad they're going this way. My guess is something's going to cause him to be depowered again and he'll need to go back to this suit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought both Ultimates and Spider-Man were both amazing this week. Add that into a really good Hawkeye mini and a great start on X-Men and it looks like the Ultimate Universe is finally back to being what it should be. I'm really excited about the future of all these titles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Miles really is just a Peter who is black and a couple of years younger. The rest of the book is pretty good (even though the timeline is a bit weird due to Norman's involvement).

I was a bit lost on Ultimates #2. Probably should read it again. Reed is building up to something big.

Always disregard the timeline when reading a Bendis written Ultimate book. Bendis does, so why not you too?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying the new book, but it kinda sounds like you've never actually read Ultimate Spider-man, which would be a huge shame. Some of the USM villains and their relationships with Peter made for some of the best comics I've ever read. Ultimate Shocker's arc was particularly incredible, as was the enmity between Ultimate Kingpin and Spidey. Ultimate Peter definitely is just a different version of the classic character at his core, but he still had many key differences, not the least of which being that all his trials came when he was still an idealistic teenager, and his story was still a tale worth reading. Except maybe that story about the Swedish dude who blew up cars when he was drunk.

Yeah, even with stuff like Geldoff I'd say that USM is probably the best Spider-Man stuff overall that I've ever read. Saying it's not that different from 616 and not reading it is selling it unbelievably short.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spurite Based posted:

Maybe Geldoff will join the Ultimates.

Well if we're trying to screw up the team and make the book unreadable let's go ahead and throw Magician in there too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

The girl was in school with Peter and them but then he died and nothing ever came of it.

Sara Pichelli said in a short interview in yesterday's Spider-Man that Lana was one of her favorites. So maybe she'll show up somewhere in the new book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd say X-Men is the weakest only because it hasn't had a second issue yet. Personally I feel USM, UXM, and UH are all on pretty equal footing. Ultimates is really the only one that's head and shoulders above the rest and most of that is due to the fantastic second issue. All 4 of the first issues are about the same quality wise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My absolute favorite thing about this is how all the Ultimate titles have same day as print digital releases. Now if only they made FF digital as well...

Yes! Very much this. Before what I normally did was buy the singles, then wait until a few arcs were done and sell them on ebay then put that money toward a TPB. I do this with most comics because I just don't like having singles around. The digital thing is going to end up costing me more because I won't be able to sell anything back to get the trades, but it so makes up for it in convenience, time, and space saving. I love digital comics and love that Marvel is pushing the Ultimate books out same day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

tinkaaberu posted:

Marvel comics come out to around 10-20MB when I download them onto my iPad.

As for first impressions Ultimates #1 really grabbed me and didn't let go. I've never read a Hickman comic before but after reading Ultimates I'm tempted to go and check out his FF run. X-Men was a bit of a slow starter and mostly seemed to be going over stuff Fallout covered but still, it interested me enough that I'm not going to drop it any time soon. Spiderman on the other hand has some wonderful art but it's just so boring, hoping it picks up soon otherwise I'm just not going to bother with it.

What is the overall opinion like for Hawkeye? Is it worth picking up?

Hawkeye is very much worth picking up. Already ties into Ultimates and seems like it's going to tie into X-Men as well. And it's only 4 issues, so you really don't have much to lose if for some crazy reason you don't like it. But you will, because it's by Hickman and he never disappoints.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, not sure how you got Kitty out of that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

invalid user posted:

Isn't her new costume essentially the Red Hood? Don't tell me it's brown, I'll cry.

Her costume is red, but Mysterio's isn't. And she doesn't have super strength. She can only change the density of herself. She also doesn't have laser hands, which is how Kingpin was killed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Millar's run(1-12, 15-33, and the Ultimate War mini) is largely considered the best and pretty much tells a complete story. Bendis' run kind of focuses on some Wolverine sub-plots that were hinted at some point or another, but doesn't do anything too earth shattering. Brian K Vaughn (46-65) is okay and resolves the Gambit stuff, but kind of sucks. Kirkman and everyone after that is pretty much what you describe: who can we Ultimize this month.

So I'd say stop reading after you get through Vaughn's issues. The quality trends down pretty quickly with Kirkman. Starts out okay, but takes a huge nose dive as Loeb's Ultimatum gets closer and closer.

Well if he's done the first 5 or 6 volumes he's pretty much only read the Millar stuff at this point. I think that Millar and Vaughn's runs are good. Vaughn at least tries to do something different with some characters but with varying degrees of success. Kirkman's run is pretty awful. His Cable and Apocalypse stories are just total crap. The Cable stuff was actually a decent idea, but it was handled terribly. And I didn't like his Apocalypse just because I really did like what Vaughn did with Sinister before and it kind of ruined that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bulgaroktonos posted:

I'm a bit of a latecomer to the Ultimate Universe.

What exactly was the story behind the whole Loeb thing? Did he get canned? What was up with that?

He wrote some really lovely books that largely ignored things that came before them and then ended up killing off half of the characters in the universe in increasingly stupid ways for no reason. Ultimates 3 was poo poo. Ultimate Power was poo poo (though to be fair he had help with that). Ultimatum was poo poo. New Ultimates wasn't poo poo, but was just mediocre. Ultimate X was actually pretty decent. That pretty much sums up his contributions to the the Ultimate Universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Whether you think his writing dropped off at some point or not, the bottom line is that he wrote some really lovely stuff in the Ultimate Universe. So much so that it really put a dark cloud over the whole imprint that's just now starting to lift. Personally I think his last two contributions weren't bad at all. New Ultimates was mediocre, but still better than a couple of the Ultimate Avengers minis that Millar pumped out. And I enjoyed Ultimate X quite a bit despite the fact that it tried to undo Wolverine's death via introducing his son. That being said I am very glad he's no longer writing any of the Ultimate titles.

Waterhaul posted:

But that has nothing to do with his writing quality, it's just a token tribute character and an insignificant plot point. If you took that plot point our Loebs writing would still be the exact same and he wouldn't be the first writer to add in a tribute character of someone he knew.

Agreed. I hate when people try to bring that up as a valid criticism. There's plenty of things to criticize Loeb over. That's not really one of them.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 4, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Roboto posted:

I suppose that is possible too, that he was just a one-hit wonder and the rest of his stuff was riding that wave until finally it's trickling down right now.

Are there any plans for an Ultimate X series to continue or was that it?

It was just a mini. It's done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Maybe retroactively. It was intended to be an ongoing.

Yeah, it was changed after a couple issues. Probably something to do with only getting 5 issues out in 15 or so months.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ultimate X-Men is a direct continuation of Ultimate X.

Well it definitely picks up one thread. But a lot of the focus looks like it's going to be on Kitty's group with Jimmy jumping from Ultimate X to the new X-Men. Whereas Ultimate Hawkeye seems to indicate the rest of the Ultimate X team is going to be under Fury's direction.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 5, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

So getting back into comics after a while I'm finding I'm totally uninterested in anything happening in 616 Marvel but really excited for everything Ultimate right now. I need to get caught up on some stuff but I've really liked every Miles issue of Ultimate Spidey so far and have found Ultimate X-Men to be at least above average (or at least, improving on Ultimate X and stripping it of the lovely Loeb melodrama. Plus including Kitty & Bobby & Johnny). I was most excited for Hickman's Ultimates and Ultimate Hawkeye because Hickman has been one of my favourite writers lately, but I haven't read those yet because I've heard that they build on a bunch of Ultimate Fallout stuff which I haven't read yet. Would it be much of a problem or should I wait to properly catch up before jumping aboard there? I've read all the previous volumes of The Ultimates (though not Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates).

Also: has it be said in any interviews or whatever which team in Ultimate X-Men is actually the "X-Men"? We've got Jimmy and friends on one hand and Kitty, Bobby, and Johnny on the other. I figured UXM would follow Jimmy etc. because that was the mutant team established in Ultimate X but none of them even showed up in issue #2.

Since you've read almost all the previous volumes of Ultimates my suggestion would be to read the following stuff to help you get into the Hickman stuff. It's not required, but it'll definitely help you understand more of what's going on.

The Ultimate Doomsday Trilogy: This is pretty much how the main antagonist gets to be the way he is.
Ultimate Thor Mini: This is by Hickman himself and fills in most of the holes regarding Thor's origins and explaining many inconsistencies between the different appearances of him.
Ultimate Fallout: Lays most of the groundwork for all the titles that are running now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It seems Ultimate FF really doesn't get a lot of the credit it deserves. I think the whole run was pretty good. The only down parts to me where the issues that Land drew. And even then it was really only the art in those issues that sucked. I personally loved Carey's run on it. I thought God War was a great story and a real good Ultimization of Thanos. I also loved Spider-Man pretty much the whole way through. The only stories there I didn't care for were the Geldof and Deadpool arcs. And I actually like what they did with Ultimate Deadpool but I just thought the story itself was kind of lame. Ultimate X-Men on the other had had a large run of issues I didn't like at all. And most of them were written by Kirkman. I hated the Apocalypse story he did. Mostly because I thought Vaughn's take on Sinister was really well done and it kind of undermined what happened there. I also hate the last little arc by Coleite about the Banshee drug. I hope if they bring Colossus back in the new title that stuff is completely forgotten about.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 14, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That would be Mark Millar in the first Weapon X arc. Normally something like that would be stupid but I think it played well in to the 'Sabertooth is a Wolverine knockoff' thing they intentionally had going there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Internet Wizard posted:

I actually really liked the ideas behind the drug arc, and I wish it hadn't been squished in before the Ultimatum crap happened. It might have actually had a chance to be good, then.

Yeah, Ultimate X-Men is a series that's full of good ideas that were executed horribly. The drug one just stands out to me because I didn't care for totally undoing the character of Colossus like that. Another that stands out is Kirkman's Cable story. I like the idea of Cable being Wolverine from the future. It's a neat spin on the character but it was executed horribly I thought. Kirkman's run is just filled with stuff that could have been good but that he just ended up completely wasting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

E the Shaggy posted:

I wish they had kept Ben as the Thing instead of generic energy guy.

I'm not. I'm glad they went a different way with him. I just wish someone would either get a book going with him or insert him into one the ones we have going now. There's a lot that has yet to be explored about his new powers and I'm interested in seeing where he and Sue go as characters. Just throw them in the Ultimates if that's what it takes. I'm fine with that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultimate Mystique is currently with Pietro's group. Her and Sabertooth have been palling around together since Ultimatum and have shown up several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SpaceMost posted:

I just finished reading the first three post-Ultimatum Spidey TPBs and I loved them. Really enjoyed the art and the writing was really fun -- can't wait for the release of the softcover Death of Spider-Man, though I may have to spring for the hard cover of the aftermath because I am impatient.

Are the Ultimatum books worth reading? I've heard that the event wasn't well received.

e: \/
Are there any Ultimate must-reads?
I never really read X-Men but I read the first ten issues or so Fantastic Four and enjoyed it alright. I recently read that Hulk vs Iron-Man TPB and I enjoyed that as well. I had previously collected enough of the #1-#100 Spidey issues to make me reluctant to buy the TPBs. There are some gaps, especially with Venom, but I don't think I care enough to plunk down money to fill them.

Haven't touched the Ultimates, though.

Since everyone else is giving their thoughts on the Ultimate books...

Let me preface by saying that I'm a huge fan of the Ultimate universe. I've read every single issue under the imprint. I owned all of the singles before I gave them to a friend. I own all of the TPB published so far. I've read through the entire universe a few times at this point. So my opinion is going to be biased.

I'll give you my thoughts on pretty much everything released here. Not in great detail though.

Ultimate Spider-Man - Fantastic series. Probably one of my favorites ever. There's a lot that has been said about this one, so I'll just stop there. But read all of it.

Ultimate X-Men - If I could sum up this series in one sentence? Great ideas with mostly poor execution. I think this title was the one the frustrated me most. Because when it was good, it was really good. The problem is that it was full of great ideas that just either didn't follow through, were ignored or undone by changing writers, or were just executed terribly. For example the Cable storyline, and who he was, was a genius idea. But it couldn't have been written more disappointingly. Still worth reading though, because it's easy to see that it could have been great.

Ultimate Fantastic Four - I loved this whole series. The only unfortunate thing is that Greg Land almost ruined it. The issues featuring him as artist are hard to read. The stories are great, but I can't stand his art. I really liked the dynamic of the team in this book. And I think Mike Carey's cosmic stuff was pretty drat great.

The Ultimates - Not as high on the first two volumes as most people, but I think they're really solid. I don't see them as some of the best books from the imprint though. The third volume is indeed a total turd in every way.

Ultimate Six - Great stuff. Very much worth reading. Pretty much an essential part of the Spidey run even if it was technically a separate title.

Ultimate War - Too short to be really good. What was there was fun though. Needed to be fleshed out a bit more.

Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk - Just a really fun book. But those of us following along during the years it took to get released probably have a bit more contempt for it because of the massive delays.

Ultimate X4 - Another fun little story, but could have used another issue or two.

Ultimate Team-Up - Fun idea. A few good individual issues. Problem is some of it is not in continuity at all. Published at a time when they were just kinda throwing things out there and not planning to build a real universe.

Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra - Two separate minis. Focus mostly on Elektra. Decent read, nothing groundbreaking though. Worth a read if you're a fan of either character. They show up sparingly in mostly the USM books later.

Ultimate Adventures - Not great. Pretty much a ripoff of Batman and Robin. Not quite as bad as people think, but pretty forgettable.

Ultimate Iron Man - Two separate minis. Probably my least favorite stuff released under the Ultimate imprint. Just could not get into it. Reinventing a character isn't a bad thing, but I think they went too far with this. No longer in continuity. The way it was thrown out was pretty great too.

Ultimate Gah-Lak-Tus - I loved this. But I'm a sucker for cosmic stuff anyway. I know some people liked some parts, but I thought the whole thing was pretty solid. Kinda pissed we didn't see more of Mahr Vehl after it though. He was a great character.

Ultimate Human - Really liked this. Probably my favorite Iron Man related stuff outside of Ultimates.

Ultimate Origins - Another missed opportunity. A book with a fantastic idea that is plagued by mistakes. Most notably Bendis completely forgetting his own continuity in relation to the death of Peter Parker's parents (even though he claims it was the artist's error).

Ultimate Power - No. Just no. It's kind of rather important for the events that happen. But man is it bad.

Ultimatum - Mostly crap. But unfortunately it changes so much about the universe it's kind of necessary to read to get a complete idea. The follow up Ultimatum Requiem stories for the X-Men, FF, and especially Spider-Man are really great though. Definitely must read stuff there.

Ultimate Thor - Hell of a little series. Hickman manages to somewhat reconcile all the inconsistencies about Thor's character in the Ultimate universe and at the same time write a fun and engaging story. Hickman is pretty drat great.

Ultimate Captain America - Not a fan of this one. But I'm not a fan of Ultimate Cap in general. And he's one of my favorite guys in 616. Just couldn't get into this story at all.

Ultimate Armor Wars - I actually loved this title. Fun story with a great ending. Picks up pretty much immediately after Ultimatum but has very little to do with it.

Ultimate X - Only 5 issues, but easily the best thing Loeb wrote for the imprint. Not terrible at all really. Introduced a couple new characters and followed up with some we were already familiar with. There's definitely a Loeb stigma, and for good reason, that comes along with anything he writes. But I'd say this one is worth picking up.

Ultimate Doomsday - This is important because it ties directly into what's going on in The Ultimates today. I think it could have been handled better. Especially the main twist. But all in all it's a decent read.

The New Ultimate/Ultimate Avengers/Ultimates vs Avengers - Not a big fan of these books. But there's some important poo poo that goes down in them. The first one with the Red Skull was good. The others are pretty mediocre. I think Millar probably just either lost interest or something. Just wasn't very fun. The Loeb stuff wasn't terrible, but it wasn't what I'd call good either.

Ultimate Fallout - Great stuff. Must read.

And that covers most everything I think. I'm sure I went overboard with it, but again like I said I'm a pretty huge fan of this universe.

• Locked thread