Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

That was before they got the approval from Sam Jackson to use his likeness. Also there was asian Janet Van Dyne.

There was never any approval to get, Hitch just drew him as SLJ because he thought it was a great real world visual. Jackson later saw it and loved it. Why does no one remember how this actually happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Funny how history can be broken.

I'm just saying, the events have been rewritten into this loving little fairy tale like it was planned from the start. It's annoying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Look buddy, I'm sorry if I got that detail wrong. I didn't do an especially immense amount of digging. Wikipedia mentions that the likeness was used with Jackson's permission and cites an interview in which the interviewer asks if was aware his likeness was being used and he says, "Yeah I know. We talked about it. It’s cool." So sorry if I confused that to assume they got his okay beforehand. One would think a big company like Marvel even prior to Disney wouldn't be drawing a major character in a very obvious likeness to a hugely famous movie star without some sort of approval first.

Anyone can edit Wiki articles.

Ultimate Nick Fury appeared before Ultimates launched in Ultimate X-Men #7 or 8 as drawn by three different artists and not one of them portrayed him as Sam Jackson.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the new Ultimate Spider-man is out and it's really not bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Loebs writing quality hasn't changed since Teen Wolf. The only difference between his current books is that the artists he gets teamed up with are more of an acquired taste than Tim Sale or Jim Lee.

Saying his sons death effect anything is

A)Not true
B)A ridiculously tired joke
C)In awful taste

The only thing different is that there wouldn't be any tribute characters sprinkled throughout his book.

I disagree. There is an obvious downturn in the quality of his work since the original Marvel color books and Superman For All Seasons. The first arc of Superman/Batman was probably the last thing he wrote before his work began to suffer from his emotional state.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Again I really do think if his Marvel color books for example had David Finch instead of Tim Sale they wouldn't be fondly remembered.

After the Age of Apocalypse he was given control of X-Force, Cable and X-Man. X-Man wasn't the best book but Cable was a very enjoyable book and X-Force might have been the best X-book on the stands back then. He was really dedicated to those titles and his love of them showed. The same for the color books, they may have had a phenomenal artist but he actually crafted excellent stories.
When Sam fell ill you could sort of see in the writing that his heart just wasn't in it like it had been. And now it's as if he just does this for the paycheck. He's an established talent with connections in various media so it's easy for him to continue getting work.

Edit: I used to love his work, he wrote fun, enjoyable super hero comics on a regular basis. Now he just doesn't put as much care into his scripts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I always thought he Superman run was liked, or was I wrong?

It was also quite good up until Superman Batman #7 which is where he began going off the rails a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

It was just a mini. It's done.

Maybe retroactively. It was intended to be an ongoing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So now that Miles has encountered Gwen is it a safe bet that we'll never see her in the book again? Is this what they meant when they said he'd seek advice from her?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sion posted:

Hey so wanna know something weird? There was more outcry about the changes to Spider-man than there's been over the whole 'we blew up the white house, killed the president and then nuked the whole of washington with a child that was also a bio weapon' thing.

Just struck me as odd.

Buildings are blown up in comics every day. There will be more presidents and destroying entire cities is nothing new.

Peter Parker is was and always will be Spider-man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

It is kinda strange that a genocide and several states were wiped out. I mean, that kind of fucks up things for the next writer.

It has no weight because even worse poo poo is happening over in Ultimates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I also thought it was Jeph Loeb's son.

He has nothing to do with the Ultimate line now so it's unlikely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spencer seems to have used up all his good ideas fairly quickly. Right up until his Secret Avengers issue he was a BSS favorite. Between Thunder Agents and Morning Glories he was getting heaps of praise but as we all know that time is long passed. Now that he's been booted off all his high profile work I have to wonder how long Kirkman will keep him on Thief of Thieves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-kirkman-thief-thieves-writer-james-asmus-338299

I work with his mom and she just linked this to me on facebook.

So that answers that.

Holy poo poo. I'm like an oracle of the future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Can someone explain to me how it's "Robert Kirkman's" Thief of Thieves if someone else is writing it? Did he come up with the original concept and just... hire someone to actually write it?

This is not exactly a new concept, creator has idea but no time so he farms it out to others.

Also shut up d00gz! You're ruining our fun!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sigma posted:

For 11 issues, everyone was asking, "Where is Sue?"

THERE SHE IS. gently caress YEAH

I like how she just rolls in and fucks him up like it's no thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sue being an absolute badass is a universal constant.

Agreed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it took 14 issues but I'm finally enjoying Miles Morales. I guess seeing May, Gwen and MJ approve of him is what I needed as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

So I kind of know the initial backtstory of Ultimate Venom but what's the scoop on him in the past few years? Is it Eddie Brock?

It is Eddie. Last time we saw him was in Ultimates 3 but I don't think that was ever properly explained.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Doom had Venom last and I guess he made Venom robots. God Ultimate 3 sucked but Doom had Beetle capture Venom in Ultimate Spider-man War of the Symbiotes.

poo poo was that first? U3 was so bad it broke my brain a little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last page of today's Ultimates is mind-bendingly stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spoil me because I need to know where poo poo is headed. Isn't the the Iron Patriot one?

A dude shows up on the last page it appears to be 616 Nick Fury and they call him by that name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

They didn't really, which was a pretty big flaw in the fallout to Death of Spider-Man.

Bendis said he felt a female version of Peter showing up might have driven May over the edge which is why she stayed away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
USM #200 was so great. I long for the "and his Amazing Friends" era of the book so much. Hands down the book of the week. And mad props to Ganke scoring the older woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eliotlucas posted:

The Kitty section straight up broke my heart. :(

It was sad and loving adorable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, this will be the fourth USM #1. That's a reboot in my book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

I get that, but Bean was talking specifically about the trades, which as far as I can tell were numbered consistently until Miles took over

But you initially said zero times.

Opopanax posted:

Zero times?

See? So there was at least one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

Well yeah, but that was back when I was talking out of my rear end and hadn't actually looked it up.

And you were still wrong there as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Personally I don't consider a renumbering to be the same as a reboot. To me anyway, reboot means continuity was in some way affected by a retcon.

The first time the book was post Ultimatum and became Ultimate COMICS Spider-man and changed up the status quo in a pretty major way. The second time they loving killed Peter off. This time it's another massive change as well as re-naming the book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

The failure of the past two Ultimate relaunches makes it pretty clear that there's no real demand for an Ultimate line (as in multiple books) anymore and that Marvel is trying their "kill a bunch of characters, relaunch books, watch their numbers quickly drop to the cancellation range" formula primarily out of misplaced pride.

The UU only exists at this point because Bendis wants to keep writing USM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

But why do there need to be two other Ultimate books?

Because Marvel can't admit that it's a failure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Just give Bendis the keys to the Ultimate verse already.

Who do you think founded it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, let's argue about a subjective term now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

UFF was good pretty much the whole way through, though, other than a patch of Land art.

I disagree, the last 10 issues or so are pretty much garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

The Salem's Seven stuff kind of sputters out but I imagine it would have been different if not for Ultimatum. All bad things in the UU can be traced back to Ultimatum

I also think Ultimates 2 is pretty terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It's not really subjective if it has a definition and you're using it wrong. :)

When it comes to comic books, the term reboot is entirely subjective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

net cafe scandal posted:

All-New Ultimates was gently caress awful. I don't think there's anything about it I liked besides the cast, all of which seemed to be written really, really inelegantly.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty much poo poo. I wish Bendis would drop an x-book and helm the whole UU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sooo did anyone pick up Ultimate FF?

It's pretty bad. The art is horrendous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm bummed that Ganke and Gwen aren't a thing. That was adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Don't they have a fairly major age difference?

Like what, 2 years?

• Locked thread