Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

^burtle posted:

No, he smiles at the end.

I read here that (I think from Waterhaul) that he smiled most likely because he finally succeeded in killing his nemesis, but probably died. Also with that smile I think it ended USM with a similar panel to how it started... didn't it start with Osborn grinning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I associate Ultimate Comics with bright colors and bold pen, and so far every artist on USM has nailed it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Captain Corduroy posted:

My buddy has a ton of trades and I read the first Ultimates one. It was horrible. Is this a common problem with the Ultimate universe? I read the first year or two of Ultimate Spidey and liked it all right, but man, Ultimates was just horrific.

This opinion is not very common, usually the Ultimates 1 and 2 are considered some of the best offerings of the Ultimate Universe.

What specifically was "horrific" about it, and are you sure it wasn't Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum instead?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

prefect posted:

Please be more careful when you're posting Those Words. :)

PTSD is a harsh mistress.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Captain Corduroy posted:

Jeez, okay, maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't stand the characterization of...nearly anybody, really. The last scene with Ant-Man and Wasp had me in basically total disbelief. What did they do to the Hulk? Why is literally everyone in this book a colossal rear end in a top hat?

Like, I guess I enjoy team-up books more when it's about "people with generally good intentions but differing ideology/methodology given the task of defending the free world" and not about "a group of fundamentally broken people being assholes to each other".

Take a shot any time someone drops a celebrity name and two any time Thor says "military-industrial complex".

I think the thing that's unique about the Ultimates is that it more or less exists as a way to keep superheroes busy while the world figures out what the gently caress to do with them. This is especially evident in Ultimates 1+2 where they mostly just bitch and fight amongst themselves.

Unlike, say, the 616 Avengers, they don't really fight massive threats. They ARE the massive threats. So they just stick them in a tower together to keep them from doing something stupid.

I'd say that the Ultimates is a much more realistic take on what happens when you put like 6 alpha males together on one team.

Also Ultimate Cap is an rear end in a top hat because he's from the 40s and thinks everyone today is soft. 616 Cap was only frozen for like, what, 10 or 20 years? This Cap was frozen for 60. He hasn't adjusted, not even a little.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Endless Mike posted:

No, 616 Cap was frozen for about 50 years. Initially it was about 20, but Marvel Time has moved it forward since the FF have only been around for something like 12 years now.

He's much, much more integrated into modern society than Ultimate Cap, was my main point.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

etcetera08 posted:

Woah, has Marvel been doing same day digital for a lot of new books? The new Spider-man is already on Comixology, meaning they got at least one more sale as I otherwise wouldn't have bought it.

Now if only Marvel in Comixology was compatible with Android!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Dacap posted:

I like the supporting cast so far too, I hope they don't kill off one or both of his parents to try and mirror Peter. It'd be nice to set this Spider-Man apart by not having him be born from tragedy. Considering his uncle is The Prowler, I think it would be neat to have him take an active role in mentoring or training him early on.

They don't have to kill his parents to mirror Pete since Peter's death is supposed to be the "Uncle Ben moment" already.

In other words Peter died so they don't have to. He's like Jesus in that way.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Don't forget there was 6 months time between Ultimatum and the "Ultimate Comics" rebrand, so even assuming 1 year per ~100 issues, that's a year and a half.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Dickeye posted:

It's a lot more exaggerated. It comes off more as long, shaggy hair, than just "Peter's hair is messy".

Long shaggy hair is more or less how the kids are doing it these days, though.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Memphis Raines posted:

Not even close, what is it a monthly? Bi-weekly?

It's a "monthly except we'll just put them out as fast as we can so maybe averaging one every 3.5 weeks".

They're saying it's monthly but they're going to put out more than 12 issues a year. Basically like when Bagley was around.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

notthegoatseguy posted:

UCSM#2 preview

Looks like a new power is revealed. Some type of spider-bite? Maybe it's like an enhanced power of clinging to walls?

Ultimate Mark of Kaine, perhaps?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

^burtle posted:

I think he is just squishing the guy's wrist with Spider-Strength.

Maybe only his hands have Spider-Sense.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same day as print digital :woop:

God bless, Comixology

Well, just bless now I suppose.

I wish they would allow Marvel comics on the Comixology apps for Android. :( This is the only thing holding me back.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

Can't you finangle a workaround? Using some jimcrackery?

Not any that I'm aware of.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Exactly. It really shows here. it showed in Fallout too, with him making quips just like Peter.

Maybe the quips are a spider power, did you ever think about that?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Terror Sweat posted:

Hell I read the stuff where he became a bad guy and I still don't fully know why he became a bad guy.

He has Lex Luthorism, where he thinks he can fix everything, but people keep stopping him.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Evil Sagan posted:

Okay, so reading The Ultimates has totally sold me on Ultimate Comics. So I gotta know... just how good are Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Hawkman? Do I want to pick these up first thing after work today or what?

I like Ultimate Hawkeye, and I thought it was neat that it tied in directly with Ultimates #1 (haven't read #2s yet), as in you saw the other side of a holographic conversation in each comic.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Deadpool posted:

Yes! Very much this. Before what I normally did was buy the singles, then wait until a few arcs were done and sell them on ebay then put that money toward a TPB. I do this with most comics because I just don't like having singles around. The digital thing is going to end up costing me more because I won't be able to sell anything back to get the trades, but it so makes up for it in convenience, time, and space saving. I love digital comics and love that Marvel is pushing the Ultimate books out same day.

I'll say it again, though, this only works if Marvel stops favoring certain platforms over others. I still can't read any of my Marvel digital comics on my devices because of ... well, no idea why, they just don't support it for some reason. DC, on the other hand, does.

To keep this on topic, though, I did get USM #1 digitally and read it on the web just to read it (I was out of state when it released, no access to my pull list comics) and it was okay.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Evil Sagan posted:

I don't know how it works on the portable devices, but on your PC, digital comics are read through your browser; you don't download them.

On portable devices you have to do file management, choose which you want to download and which you don't. You can redownload, though, so it's not a big deal to just nuke the stuff you've already read.

Also, there is a digital comics thread, sorry I kept the discussion going here.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Bulgaroktonos posted:

I'm a bit of a latecomer to the Ultimate Universe.

What exactly was the story behind the whole Loeb thing? Did he get canned? What was up with that?

His son died from cancer and he went sort of insane after that.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Waterhaul posted:

Loebs writing quality hasn't changed since Teen Wolf. The only difference between his current books is that the artists he gets teamed up with are more of an acquired taste than Tim Sale or Jim Lee.

Saying his sons death effected his quality is:

A)Not true
B)A ridiculously tired joke
C)In awful taste

The only thing different is that there wouldn't be any tribute characters sprinkled throughout his book.

I completely disagree, though. I mean, he explicitly stated that his son Sam came up with the idea for the Ultimates, and he said this in an Ultimates book as canon. You're telling me that level of brilliant writing would have happened had his son not died?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

invalid user posted:

The only real argument against organic web shooters is that it wasn't how he was originally designed. Anything other argument over whether it is beneficial/detrimental to the character are mostly just nerds fuming and arguing. If he had been originally created with organic webs people today would just say that web fluid is retarded.

As long as he is CONSTANTLY EATING, there's no problem with organic web shooters. Otherwise it's like, how is his body making it?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Spurite Based posted:

I thought they were just talking about God?

I thought so too, but then I was wondering, did we ever find out who, exactly, was putting together the Ultimate X team? They kept hinting that someone was driving it but I don't recall if that went anywhere because gently caress Ultimate X.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

So getting back into comics after a while I'm finding I'm totally uninterested in anything happening in 616 Marvel but really excited for everything Ultimate right now.
Besides the Ultimates and the new stuff, what Ultimate stuff have you read?

I would really recommend reading as much of, if not all, of Ultimate Spider-Man, which is quite a bit. It's great the entire way through, in my opinion (though Bendis' storytelling style is "slow", in trade it's an awesome build.) I also enjoyed Ultimate Fantastic Four at the beginning too, although the quality dropped off a bit.

Ultimate X-Men had its ups and downs through its original run, that's for sure.

Did you read the Death of Spider-Man arc of USM? If not, it's interesting to read that and Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates, as they are parallel story arcs and one ties directly in to the other.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates was basically a bag full of air with really cool stuff painted on the bag. but if you try to reach in and find anything of substance, it deflates with a farting noise.

I liked the issues that showed why exactly the Punisher was trying to shoot Captain America (and also if you don't read UAvNU, you don't realize that Peter jumped in the way of a bullet that was specifically aimed at Cap's knees, Punisher was going for a non-lethal shot).

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Hippo posted:

This is just depressing.

You mean the plot, or my reply? Because yeah, the plot is extremely depressing.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

invalid user posted:

Which writer gave Sabretooth 4 adamantium claws?

Oh man, I just looked up Ultimate Sabretooth on Wikipedia and this very cold part made me laugh:

Wikipedia posted:

In Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, Sabretooth is shown to use his claws as weapons (like the main Marvel Universe version of Sabretooth) instead of his four adamantium claws. No canon explanation has been given for this change.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Best part about UFF Zombies arc was that the Zombie Reed was impersonating Ioan Gruffudd.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know Johnny is with the X-Men, what about the other 2 FF? Are they still alive/around in this universe? I just don't see how they can stop Richards, the Ultimates in general feel much smaller than the Avengers and the regular 616 variation of things.

The other two members of the FF were in Ultimate Doomsday. Basically Ben/Sue are getting married, and Ben is no longer the Thing, but rather some purple glowy dude.

I really want to see them in an ongoing again, though.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Sigma posted:

The way Bendis explained it in interviews, the rock form was the chrysalis stage of Ben's transformation. I'm thinking he might have more than just super strength these days.

The Marvel wiki also suggest that we don't know the full extent of his powers now.

Except Ben isn't IN any series right now so there's no possible way to explore it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

omnibobb posted:

For the most part, Marvel does a timed release for digital comics, if they even do it at all. I'd imagine Ultimate Doom isn't available yet.

This isn't true anymore. I switched to all-digital recently and they've got all the big-name books out day-and-date these days, even Ultimate comics.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TheJoker138 posted:

I believe the just started doing this about a week or two ago though, right? Older, archive stuff, even recent stuff like Ulimate Doom, might still be on a delayed schedule, or just not high on the docket of stuff to get moved over.

Yeah, I don't know when it started. I know Spider-Man/X-Men books were announced as day and date digital a few months back, but now it seems like most of the heavy hitters are on there. I picked up ASM, Incredible Hulk, Deadpool, Ultimates #3, and Wolverine and the X-Men this week, all digital. I was honestly surprised by Hulk/Deadpool being on there. I was also surprised Ultimate Hawkeye is on there, since it's just a mini, but lo and behold it is.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Shageletic posted:

What logic? The guy didn't even try to justify himself, outside of briefly talking about science being raped before being cut off. It was a terrible heel turn. Just terrible.

It's actually right in line with what we've seen in 616, to be honest. Solve Everything, especially. I'm starting to think 616 Reed is the only good Reed left.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

bairfanx posted:

I'm not keen with how he went from "fix everything" to "supervillain," but it didn't seem as out of character, especially for a pretty emotionally messed up kid.

He technically went from "fix everything" to "GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY ASSHOLES I'M TRYING TO FIX EVERYTHING."

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Shageletic posted:

Oh, and here's another question/point of order: am I the only person who genuinely liked Orson Scott Card's Iron Man books?
No, I really liked it too, and thought that the take on the character was fresh and unique. Then they just turned Tony into 616-Tony with a tumor. :(

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TheJoker138 posted:

No they didn't. First off, Ultimates came before Cards stuff, so Card was the one ignoring continuity. And then they only mention the tumor once, and Millar decided he didn't like it, and retconned it out himself.

Well, to be fair Ultimates only just barely came out first, and I don't think it directly contradicted anything from Iron Man until later anyway.

Also they definitely mentioned the tumor more than once. When was it retconned out anyway?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TheJoker138 posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Ultimates started in 2002, and the tumor was mentioned in issue 6 of it, so that would probably be around 2003 or so with the schedule it was on. It was whichever issue Tony and them all got together at his house. Ultimate Iron Man came out in 2005. So you're telling me that in the 2 years or so between them Card couldn't get around to reading Ultimates and make something that fit in with it?

Oh, when I googled it I guess I skimmed and saw late 2004 for Ultimates at 2005 for Iron Man, I guess I looked at the trade date for Ultimates. Sorry!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So USM#4:

Miles is awesome, Ganke is loving awesome. Love how everything is coming together and next one should be pretty good.

Came here to post this almost word for word. I also like the difference that while Peter used his powers for personal gain, and then realized he had a higher calling, Miles is just a scared kid and it's fear, not greed, keeping him from his full potential.

I also think it's hilarious where his costume came from. Looking forward to #5, if only for the REALLY awkward talk that's about to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ultimates 4 brings an unexpected "conclusion" to things. I doubt it'll be for long, no way they're going to sit around now that they know who runs the City.

That said, I love Ultimate Thor so much. "guess we're not leaving" :drat:

You thought that was an unexpected reveal? I mean, the ending wasn't broadcast on a, say, Ultimate Doom scale, but it was fairly obvious, I think.

• Locked thread