Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aces High posted:

Never bought a comic in my life actually, I just read at stores mainly. Hence why Amazing Spider-Man was what I grew up reading, because both my brother and my cousins had a lot of the 80s and 90s issues, I didn't get into the series big time until a couple years ago, then I learned how terrible the originals from the 60s were; I mean I've seen webcomics with better writing than some of the originals for Spider-Man and X-Men and the like

This is it. The worst opinion about comics anyone has ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hulk literally punched all the evil back into it, and it was awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish Immonen could have stayed on USM forever and ever and ever, Bagley completely bores me as an artist and Lafuente is good but not perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is issue 2 out yet? How about now? The first issue was really good but it might as well have been a 4 page preview in the back of another comic, I need to know what happens next, darn it.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Long shaggy hair is more or less how the kids are doing it these days, though.

I'll never quite live down that long shaggy hair was in style just before AND right after I was in high school, but not during.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I wish they would allow Marvel comics on the Comixology apps for Android. :( This is the only thing holding me back.

Can't you finangle a workaround? Using some jimcrackery?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

from what I can tell, the biggest differences in the ultimate book was that Gwen Stacey didn't die (one of the most important events in comic book history) and Norman Osborn was some kinda extreme 90's monster man. and though in hindsight I'm sure it was written much better this time around, I just couldn't get interested in more of the same regurgitated (cartoons, tv show, movies) Peter Parker stories

this new spider-man book is at least an attempt to put a different spin on the character, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit

I'm glad you're enjoying the new book, but it kinda sounds like you've never actually read Ultimate Spider-man, which would be a huge shame. Some of the USM villains and their relationships with Peter made for some of the best comics I've ever read. Ultimate Shocker's arc was particularly incredible, as was the enmity between Ultimate Kingpin and Spidey. Ultimate Peter definitely is just a different version of the classic character at his core, but he still had many key differences, not the least of which being that all his trials came when he was still an idealistic teenager, and his story was still a tale worth reading. Except maybe that story about the Swedish dude who blew up cars when he was drunk.

Mister Roboto posted:

One difference, though, is that Peter Parker is dead. So there can't be a retaking of the mantle like in all the other legacy hero stories.

I HOPE Bendis retains enough control over the title to not allow someone stupid to resurrect him.

*Loeb casts a wicked shadow 'pon the wall*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Loki's last stand was the best and most efficient/believable redemption you could give any version of Marvel's Loki. "I regret everything." Yeah. We know, bro. It's ok.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

If memory serves, wasn't he already web-swinging in Ultimate Fallout? I'm guessing he's got organic shooters.

God, I hope not, those are so lame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I honestly don't even think Long Halloween was all that good. It had a few neat set pieces but the framing narrative was horribly weak. It doesn't help that even Loeb can't tell you who killed which victim when in what's essentially a murder mystery story. As I've mentioned in the Batman thread, the Two-face origin that's (supposedly) at the center of this way-too-long story has most of its important beats and themes lifted from another, better comic. And like a ton of his work, I suspect it sold well because it crammed in as many cameos of beloved characters as possible, with excellent art holding the whole thing up.

This isn't just me trying to pile onto Loeb, I just don't think there was ever any dropoff. He stopped being paired with good artists and got less and less editorial oversight as he became a bigger name, and his later stories kept reusing themes he'd done already in better-received works. He's the George Lucas of comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Really? I never understood the argument against organic web-shooters. Dude gets bit by spiders, gets various spider-powers, but not the ability to make webs? Seems lame and/or strange. Also, I can't think of a single thing shooters contribute to the story besides creating a false sense of drama during a story (when Spider-Man runs out of web fluid now *gasp* how will he survive?!).

The only decent argument I've seen is that inventing the slingers and/or web fluid cements Peter (and/or Miles) as a smart kid who relies on his brain in fights rather than just getting into punch-fests like other heroes, and it seems like there are definitely other ways to portray that.

There's a million little reasons I hate organic web shooters but here is the big one with having it in-comic: it's a biological function that does exactly what his gizmo used to do. It's like if Captain America got an organic adamantium/vibranium shield that came out of his back, with the stars and stripes logo and everything. Even for a comic where getting bit by a genetically altered/radioactive/whatever spider gives you awesome powers instead of getting really sick, it stretches the bounds of credulity and coincidence.

It's actually even worse if Miles has them (I don't think he does, though) because at least when Peter got them in regular Marvel there was this mystical element and they even kind of retconned his web-shooter invention as being influenced by the spider totem... There really isn't anything like that in Ultimate so it'd literally be some guy getting a mutation that lets him do exactly what this other guy with the same basic power set used to do with a highly complex mechanical delivery system for artificial polymers.

Some other reasons it's lame, for kicks: Spiders don't shoot web out their hands, it removes the neato-keen amateur scientist touch to the character's power arsenal, removes all the cool "special batches" of web-fluid Spidey can cook up for a specific foe, also makes some of the applications of the webs seem difficult to explain and convey (how do you do a wide nozzle spread with your gross pulsating wrist web-hole?), it ADDS nothing in exchange for the stuff you lose I just mentioned, since it's just "something he does", it's basically making a common misconception by non-fans into canon, it's kind of mega-gross and creepy if you think about it at all, Sam Raimi likes them so it's automatically bad.

Also the movie version of the webs were organic and they both looked and sounded wrong, and I can't dissociate that grating too-high-pitched web noise from the in-comic organic webbing now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

I really don't think this is a majorly defining aspect of Spidey; in fact I don't even think it's ever come up in the Ultimate universe.

Peter's a genius, but he's not developing industrial technology at 15. If he did, he wouldn't NEED to be Spiderman, he'd just sell that after spending maybe 2 years perfecting the formula for all the various applications. And then, as a multi-millionaire, he could do FAR more good for all the people he wants to help.

I'm just speaking in general. All those reasons I mentioned besides the big one are little more than personal preferences but I'm not going to ever change my mind about organic webbing being lame and for math teacher dads with pencil mustaches and coke bottle glasses. Organic webbing rides a segway to its job at the farmer's market while texting its mom about the latest episode of Glee.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I cannot wait for more Miles. Even though the comics have been really great, I can't help but feel that this, of all times, should be when Bendis tries to fit a little more story in every issue instead of going for the super-decompressed. Like, I can't really point to any particular scene or panel I'd cut from the first 2 issues because they were great, but it still feels like we're waiting for the story to start. I guess we kind of are? I'm not sure that's the best way to establish a new character.

^burtle posted:

They also don't have 24 packs of abs but Peter got those too? Organic Webs would be reasonable compared to half the poo poo in the Marvel Universe.

Good point, howev-

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates was basically a bag full of air with really cool stuff painted on the bag. but if you try to reach in and find anything of substance, it deflates with a farting noise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is Ultimate Punisher, so maybe not so much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

UFF was alright, but I guess the rest of the zombie shenanigans in other books soured me on the whole thing.

It was a mistake to get Kirkman to do the second mini and the Dead Days thing, because his heart obviously wasn't in it, and it sort of crippled the entire gimmick. He really phoned that one in. That one FF crossover wasn't a bad story but was really unnecessary and removed the hard boundary between the Zombieverse and the regular Marvel-verse, which was a bad decision.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Actually I think that specific version of the Squadron Supreme had absolutely no connection with 616, and was more or less "what if marvel did Ultimate DC". It's a brand new continuity with vastly different takes on many of the characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah for some crazy reason I didn't read a comic written by Loeb and illustrated by Land. What an awful idea using both versions together is.

E: The more I think about it, the less sense it makes!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Actually it makes perfect sense. Why let the two of them ruin two perfect decent titles when you can just stick both of the assholes on the same lovely book? Sounds pretty drat efficient if you ask me.

No, I meant it's a terrible idea that makes no sense to have both the classic Squadron Supreme AND the new, rebooted, isolated one in the same crossover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wachter posted:

Has he even had his own book?

Nope, like a ton of the other street-level Ultimate characters, he's mostly been built from the ground up in the pages of USM. Bendis' small glimpses into all these amazingly interesting versions of established characters are so great, but I can't help but feel that actual solo titles starring them would fumble and drop the magic, whoever might write them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I'm trying to remember any big changes to the characters. Was Daredevil any different, other than being an rear end in a top hat?

Moon Knight and Iron Fist were very different, Daredevil was very established and a completely humorless Batman type (which is interesting since that might be how he'd have ended up in his regular incarnation if not for his friends), Punisher is even harsher than usual and an ex-cop. Elektra is younger and ~has a website~ and Black Cat is pretty different as well.

Much like Spider-man, Bendis didn't feel the need to reinvent the core parts of the character, just update them, give them a spin and give them a more organic place in the world instead of the convoluted continuity-cramming and status quo obeying you have to do with the regular comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah and they're not trying to go "Oh but despite how America was invaded by a coalition of superpowered soldiers from countries that hate us, and the highly publicized presence of literal Gods on earth, Obama still ran and won the 2008 election. :downs:"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's why the organic webshooters never rang true with me. It excludes that part of Spidey, and masks the real tragedy that isn't angst-ridden teenage drama. The real story of Peter Parker isn't a great force built out of tragedy, but that his rich life was destroyed because he never got past the guilt he felt for his Uncle and now playacts a crimefighter. Yes, he does remarkably well as a crimefighter, but he could be doing so much more.

I don't know. I hate to bring up OMD as if it proves anything, but I think the idea that if Peter had never become Spider-man he'd never have learned to get over his frustration and self-doubt and ego, basically everything that drove him when he first was Spider-man and only cared about being famous and making money, rings true. He would probably have become successful and rich, but he'd also have been a major rear end in a top hat who does about as much "good" as the average seller of convenience and luxury items.

Who does more good, Spider-man or Steve Jobs?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I assumed he did properly die, and the smile was just his reaction to knowing he achieved his goal?

I would have too except for what happened the last time we assumed he died, and nobody ever said "Yep, he's definitely dead" during the mourning comics. I'm pretty sure Bendis is planning a Miles vs Osborn fight something, the idea of surpassing the mentor by defeating the dude who killed Spider-man (sort of) is too obvious to pass up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

It's really hard to tell what the timeline of USM is right now because Miles, when he got his power, is obviously sometime before Peter's death, but it's also sometimes before Osborn was imprisoned, and for some reason Ock's name is "not to be mentioned" around Osborn even though Osborn has never had an issue with Octavius until he killed him in Death of Spider-Man, and...and.... :psyduck:

It's clear Bendis gives no gently caress about continuity, even his own/

Nnooo, Octavius and Osborn had some serious enmity going on for most of their appearances (they tried to kill each other in Death of a Goblin if I recall), and I'm not sure how it's difficult to understand that the 42 spider was created before Osborn was imprisoned, then was stolen from the abandoned lab well after the fact. The only thing :psyduck: here is how you seem to have trouble with the idea of a new comic that leads up to the present day taking place in the past of the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

moleman posted:

How depressing that they had a genuinely original premise (Kitty, Iceman and Human Torch living in Morlock Tunnels) and turn it into yet another Nimrod/Sentinel attack and the mysterious return of dead characters.

I maintain my "X-writers are forced by contract law to write a terrible mansion attack type story within the first 10 issues of their run" theory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sion posted:

Don't go all guns blazing at the start.

Man, I really wish this comic had gone guns blazing at the start. It's soooooo slow. I know it's a deliberate storytelling pace being established so that we can know Miles better as a person but holy poo poo can I not wait for him to stop being in the "starting out" phase.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, fair enough. There's really no way to justify a two-panel conversation taking up two pages. I didn't mind USM's original slow start because, like everyone else I knew, I didn't give half a poo poo about the Ultimate line when it was announced and thought it was just going to be some horribly gimmicky sad attempt at being more current. So when I finally broke down and bought USM trades after hearing it praised so much, the insanely slow start was well over with and I was able to read it all in one sitting of half an hour.

Contrast to Miles, whom I loved as an idea as soon as he was revealed, which seems like a billion years ago by now. Why isn't THIS the Spider-man run that comes out 3 times a month? Then we might get a single issue's worth of story every month.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well also, a fair amount of writers seem really angry at the idea that 616 Hulk is anything less than a totally 100% moral hero who's never caused any innocent's death even by accident, and come up with these really stupid super-science explanations of why that's even remotely possible, so it's pretty difficult to be frightened of the Hulk when you know that even if he punches down a building, Banner's super-math or some bullshit will make sure it collapses in a way as to not injure anyone. He might as well be made of Nerf padding.

Meanwhile, Ultimate Hulk has eaten people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Counterpoint: Ultimatum. Either there were just no editors at all or Loeb has some sort of comic book executive order where he can supersede the rules.

Violence and cannibalism are fine and dandy, but criticizing racists or implying the Tea Party isn't a force for good in America? Woah, better go into damage control mode, that's our core readership right there (??).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was the reference I was making, yes. Marvel seems to be weirdly concerned with not offending people that don't really read their books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cap's had a lot of good stories and been written with depth and subtlety since the 60s. Not to say he's not had his lovely runs, but he's very rarely been as one-dimensionally boy scout go-USA as his name and costume implies, at least not since he's been a Marvel character. People just project that poo poo onto him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Not so much in his solo title, outside a few rough patches. But in other appearance written by writers not used to him he's been portrayed poorly a number of times.

Yeah, that's true. But I think you can say that about a lot of characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uh it's pretty obviously Ultimate Peter coming back. It could also be some kind of fakeout, but Ultimate Peter returning is a billion times more likely than a 616 crossover. Plus, instead of having Ultimate in the title proper, the books are now under the Ultimate Comics imprint.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

You could be right but I can't think of any Ultimate Comics that don't have the word "Ultimate" in the title.

I can:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

That comic is named "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" is it not?

I would have said it's "Spider-man" under the Ultimate Comics imprint but I guess it's solicited as Ultimate Comics Spider-man so ????. Either way, I stand by my "Ultimate Peter coming back" thing until proven otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Casao posted:

This is my vote. Or Miles gets trapped in 616 and teaches Peter something. I want something properly hokey and 'passing of the torch' drat it.

616 Peter catches the unconscious Human Torch after he's blown away by a villain, and tosses him at Miles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah seriously I don't want Miles to have to fight every single person who knew Peter for using his name, as if that was somehow a really evil thing to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollis posted:

Can someone explain to me The Hulks deal in Ultimate Comics line right now, I just read the latest Ultimates by Hickman and the hulk goes from mindless to intelligent in a matter of seconds and in the same conversation.

Banner has some degree of control on his Hulk form granted by meditating with monks or something, but it takes some effort, especially in an emotionally volatile state.

This is infered from what we've seen though, no one's gone all Jeff Goldblum and spelled it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

If Ultimate Osborn is still alive, I want to see a scene of 616 Peter confronting him, and beating the poo poo out of him. Maybe have some big Osborn moment of "Ha ha, what are you going to do? I already killed you once!" or whatever and then Peter just outclassing him in every way during the ensuing fight.

Yeah that'd be a good way to take all of Miles' heat away from him, having the already established Spider-man take away his obvious Dragon without breaking a sweat.

The thing is that Miles is so new and green and lacking in confidence so far that I can't see the dynamic being anything but Miles being totally blown away by how awesome Peter is, and I think that's a really poo poo way to build up your new character. Not to mention that even if you want to stick your fingers in your ears about it, there's a racial subtext to it that completely blows.

Before, Miles was the new Ultimate Spider-man, with the potential to be even greater than the original, who was still just a kid when he died. Now he's gonna be a gosh-darned sidekick to a full grown white man, who's an adult version of a guy he worships.

I mean maybe I'm wrong, maybe Miles is gonna clown the hell out of everything they face with 616 Peter not really doing much, but I dunno. I can't see this going anywhere good. Are USM's sales in the shitter or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't buy for a second that this isn't going to go south, considering the themes established throughout the entire series of Ultimate Spider-man, where even slightly bad people do some loving awful poo poo when their back's to the wall, revealing that everything else about them doesn't make up for their inherent selfish and callous behaviour. It's very Ditko.

Uncle Aaron's unfortunately not just a thief, he's a murderer, too. I'm not ruling out possible redemption, but so far he just seems like yet another kinda flawed dude that's gonna go murderously evil and have to be stopped. He cares about Miles, but he's straight-up lying to him and using him to protect himself from the Scorpion.

• Locked thread