Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Alright so you guys pretty much ruined the last thread with your terrible opinions. Then I honestly felt like I was in high school again because someone was actually loving talking about Machine Head. So basically I'm rebooting this thread because the other one was getting long anyways. What's going to happen here? You'll probably run it into the ground again.

So anyways I've been off in my own world and there hasn't been a whole lot of legitimate contenders for album of the year except maybe the new Sonne Adam or Necros Christos. Both of these bands put out stellar releases this year, and if you like actual death metal and not some clicky bass drum watered-downed technical pirate-metal jazz-infusion shitfest then check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU650Yc3590

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJpS8NIJFyE

:siren: Oh yeah, and new rules: Gr31lly's and Mrbling's opinions are no longer considered opinions. They are authoritative declarations.

Ready.... set...... go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
I like Warbringer.

Are there any other new bands I should know about that are at a similar level of awesomeness as Warbringer?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
New Toxic Holocaust is pretty good if you like your thrash a bit more metal than most.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Sorry that not everyone loves Black Sabbath, bro.

And no good albums of the year? Protest the Hero, Leprous, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sylosis, and Unearth have all put out sweet albums, and we still get to look forward to new stuff from Opeth, Mastodon, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Machine Head (gently caress you), plus whatever other more underground bands these threads introduce us to. 2011 has been my favorite year for metal in a long time, and Cynic's probably gonna drop something in early 2012.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

BSchlang posted:

Sorry that not everyone loves Black Sabbath, bro.

And no good albums of the year? Protest the Hero, Leprous, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sylosis, and Unearth have all put out sweet albums, and we still get to look forward to new stuff from Opeth, Mastodon, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Machine Head (gently caress you), plus whatever other more underground bands these threads introduce us to. 2011 has been my favorite year for metal in a long time, and Cynic's probably gonna drop something in early 2012.

Holy drat, not four posts in and you're already messing it up.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
The new Opeth album cannot be discussed here since it's not metal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Reposting this here for the new thread:

My friend and I wrote a thrash song about Hurricane Irene. The storm turned out to be mostly a dud, so let the music rip your house apart instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwP70gaWYYY

But back to the thread - I agree about the new Toxic Holocaust. It rules, but it's definitely a slight style change for Mr. Grind.

edit-- And thank you all for the Noctum/Year of the Goat/Graveyard/etc. recommendations, those have been a lot of fun.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 29, 2011

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

QPZIL posted:

My friend and I wrote a thrash song about Hurricane Irene. The storm turned out to be mostly a dud, so let the music rip your house apart instead.

But back to the thread - I agree about the new Toxic Holocaust. It rules, but it's definitely a slight style change for Mr. Grind.

edit-- And thank you all for the Noctum/Year of the Goat/Graveyard/etc. recommendations, those have been a lot of fun.

This was worth being reposted because it's loving awesome and goons in the other thread agreed (which usually doesn't mean its a good thing, but today it is).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The new Opeth album cannot be discussed here since it's not metal.

brb, starting ?new? prog rock thread.

Based on the current trend, all metal is slowly devolving to is basic roots. In the year 2020, Mayhem will have successfully released their newest blues-rock album Death Kvlt (by way of Louisiana).

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I do not have a Korpiklaani tattoo :smug:

But I am covered head to toe in "sunwheel" tattoos.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

QPZIL posted:

I love your stuff, count me in on whatever poo poo you got for you 666 limited edition vinyl in red goat blood print, thanks.

PS im serious, I want more stuff.

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
Does the Misfits count as metal? They're fun as gently caress and bitches don't think I'm a psychopath when I blast 'em from my Impala like they would if I was playing some of the brutal poo poo you virgins have been recommending.

Gimme more fun metal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSLz5FeXUg&ob=av2e

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
^^^what is happening in this thread I don't even get it anymore^^^

Vintersorg posted:

I love your stuff, count me in on whatever poo poo you got for you 666 limited edition vinyl in red goat blood print, thanks.

PS im serious, I want more stuff.

Just for you, I'm starting a song tomorrow called Painted in Goat Blood.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
NO! The Misfits are not metal. They are extremely generic punk. Now quit it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Can crust be granted honourary metal status for the purposes of this thread? There really isn't anywhere else to talk about it. :colbert:

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 29, 2011

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
e: i'm stupid

To make this post not entirely worthless, I listened to Rotten Sound's Cursed about five times last week. Came out half a year ago, but the album rips.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

aliencowboy posted:

Can crust be granted honourary metal status for the purposes of this thread? There really isn't anywhere else to talk about it. :colbert:
Post in the punk thread or make a crust thread if it doesn't fit in there?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
^^^^ While I may not have the largest background in crust punk, I think an exception could be made since crust and grindcore are so closely linked together these days. As mentioned above, you've got bands like Rotten Sound, Mumakil, and Trap Them really doing it right by blending the two elements together. Even though the grindcore is still more prevalent in their music, you can't deny that there are quite a few passages that follows the crust formula, as well. It seems that a lot of modern bands are really beginning to incorporate the two styles and continue to blur the lines between them. Actually, now that I think about it, crust isn't metal. But, that isn't to say that there aren't metal bands that incorporate crust into their music, so I guess you could talk about crust-infused grind and so-forth in this thread.

BSchlang posted:

And no good albums of the year? Protest the Hero, Leprous, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sylosis, and Unearth have all put out sweet albums

There have been some good albums put out this year, but none that would be considered "great" and be contender for Album of the Year or whatever arbitrary poo poo people argue about. Not to mention, those bands are the best you can offer when trying to defend this year? You are doing it wrong. Very, very wrong.

The only album that could have been contender for Album of the Year was the latest Napalm Death that was slated for this coming October, but alas, it was pushed back to February '12, instead.

Now, to bring it back to good music for a second, there was a five-way split released this year under the name of "Split Torso Trauma" and it featured two tracks each by Antropofagus, Prion, Mass Infection, Putridity, and Infected Flesh. It is definitely for fans of the usual Unique Leader-styled brutal death metal bands and is quite enjoyable. I'd say Antropofagus, Putridity, and Prion are my favorite portions of the split.

attackmole posted:

e: i'm stupid

To make this post not entirely worthless, I listened to Rotten Sound's Cursed about five times last week. Came out half a year ago, but the album rips.

I would also like to recommend that you check out "Darker Handcraft" by Trap Them. That album is just pissed off from beginning to end, as long as you like a bit of d-beat mixed in with your grindcore/crust.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2011

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
Alright, Misfits don't count, whatever. They're only the band that was a huge influence on Metallica, but who cares? And the newer Misfits stuff is even better than their old stuff.

Anyway, this is the Metal Thread, not the Cookie-Monster-Vox-ONLY Thread, so can we maybe talk at least a little about some bands for those of us who aren't as tr00 kvlt as the rest of you?

I just got into metal about a year ago, and my favorite bands are Metallica, Anthrax, Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden, a7x, Ozzy, Buckethead, and Dethklok (just because it's funny). What else might I like / got any good recommendations for me?

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
Hey so I know we're still doing the customary first page threadshit here, but I just saw Kamelot live and wanna vent.

The sound engineers at the Trocadero in Philly are the worst goddamn sound engineers ever. It was so muddy I could barely make out the music, and then the singer was made to sound like a broken 8-bit video game. Seriously, to understand what it sounded like, imagine attaching an opera singer's voice to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7VFxIBj84

Then imagine it being ridiculously loud.

As an aside though Alestorm was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

edit:

Sgt. Slobber posted:

recommendations

Judas Priest, Artillery, Therion, Kamelot (just not at the Trocadero), Evile, Exodus, Testament. There are lots more. Seriously though listen to Judas Priest.

edit 2: also if you like Buckethead and funny stuff you should listen to Primus.

Hey guys, can we also not turn this into a lovely "NO THAT'S NOT METAL WAAAH" thread? Thanks.

Dr. Notadoctor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 29, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't worry, I'll attempt to save it with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5aj0AZ-xg

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I would say that Devin Townsend's Deconstruction certainly qualifies for album of the year. Some tracks are stronger than others, and people tend to be torn how he chooses to portray his message (through farts), but it is overall the very solid and original musically.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Alright, Misfits don't count, whatever. They're only the band that was a huge influence on Metallica, but who cares? And the newer Misfits stuff is even better than their old stuff.

What the hell does this have to do with the Misfits not being metal? No need to get all butthurt about it because they don't fit in this thread. Nobody is taking away what the Misfits have contributed to music as a whole. Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf are huge inspirations to lots of metal musicians, but guess what? They aren't metal. Am I taking away their achievements to the world of music? Hell no. They are incredibly talented individuals and enjoyable to listen to. They just aren't metal.

quote:

Anyway, this is the Metal Thread, not the Cookie-Monster-Vox-ONLY Thread, so can we maybe talk at least a little about some bands for those of us who aren't as tr00 kvlt as the rest of you?

Well, holy poo poo, I guess it's our fault for discussing music that the majority of posters in this and previous threads listen to and enjoy rather than rehashing the same bands (even if they're good) over and over again. If you can't deal with the harsh vocals that a lot of these bands that we're discussing at the moment have, then bow out and don't whine about it.

quote:

I just got into metal about a year ago, and my favorite bands are Metallica, Anthrax, Sonata Arctica, Iron Maiden, a7x, Ozzy, Buckethead, and Dethklok (just because it's funny). What else might I like / got any good recommendations for me?

Definitely check out Judas Priest as they basically fit every band you listed. Rob Halford is a God, and the mans pipes are still just as awesome as they were decades ago. Nuclear Assault would work perfectly with your mention of Anthrax, too; "Handle With Care" is my favorite album of theirs. For Dethklok recommendations, I would definitely say check out At the Gates, Amon Amarth, The Crown, Satariel, Canopy, Vehemence, and a lot of other melodic death metal bands that I'm missing off of the top of my head.

Efilnikufesin posted:

Hey so I know we're still doing the customary first page threadshit here, but I just saw Kamelot live and wanna vent.

The sound engineers at the Trocadero in Philly are the worst goddamn sound engineers ever. It was so muddy I could barely make out the music, and then the singer was made to sound like a broken 8-bit video game. Seriously, to understand what it sounded like, imagine attaching an opera singer's voice to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7VFxIBj84

Then imagine it being ridiculously loud.

This reminds me of when my old Peavey amp from '98 blew a tube, yet it still worked. It sounded just like this.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 29, 2011

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Try Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Pantera, Fear Factory. You might like some of that.

e: Why do metal music videos always suck? I admittedly don't watch many of them because unnecessary shaky-cam drives me nuts. Can you guys recommend any cool videos? Some cheesiness is okay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bCRG3CG0 -like this kind of cheesiness is good, and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfdcepWlQM -this kind of cheesiness is good too but not at all what I'm looking for.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 29, 2011

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The official video of the metal thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aQXt61Hfks

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Check out the video Mastodon made with [adult swim] for Deathbound.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The official video of the metal thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aQXt61Hfks

Reminds me of these dudes (went to high school with them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFjghL6EXA

They do a really good job at generic 80s heavy metal, but I really don't give a poo poo about throw back bands since I could like listen to an album from 30 years ago instead of them

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Gimme more fun metal!

Like others have said, Judas Priest is fun, especially British Steel. You might also like Municipal Waste, a thrash band that loves to party.

Gaggins posted:

e: Why do metal music videos always suck? I admittedly don't watch many of them because unnecessary shaky-cam drives me nuts. Can you guys recommend any cool videos? Some cheesiness is okay.

Queensryche - Queen of the Reich

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Gaggins posted:

I think this is a cool video and the song is great too. The lyrics are in Finnish though and are obviously important for you to "get" the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4YJwCnTDw

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I've been on a prog rock kick the last few month, have there been any decent metal releases in the last few weeks? And what did people think of the latest Deceased album? Last new metal albums I bought were the latest Argus and Necros Christos if that helps influence suggestions.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I would say that Devin Townsend's Deconstruction certainly qualifies for album of the year. Some tracks are stronger than others, and people tend to be torn how he chooses to portray his message (through farts), but it is overall the very solid and original musically.

I'm with you on that one. Although the new Wolves in the Throne Room still needs to be released, and unless it's a steaming pile, it might overtake my love for Devy's latest.

The new Fear Factory is kicking me around like a lame puppy. I've never been that familiar with them, but this latest offering is absolutely killer! (I figure I'll post about it here rather than the industrial thread because that one's way more geared to purely electronic music).

E: And since apparently "folk metal owns", the metal website/festival organiser I work for recently hosted these guys from upcountry in Gauteng, Balyios.
After hearing them I'm quite annoyed that they didn't feature on the Ensiferum tour dates down here, since they are a much better shoo-in then the other bands that were on the bill(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdlSmDqR1G

They're still pretty young and their influences are obvious, but it's better than most of the crappy deathcore nonsense coming out of this country at the moment.

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 29, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Folk metal does own, especially with female sing/screamers (Arkona)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DE6-5rKLY

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Bolt Thrower.

landuros
Sep 22, 2010
Upon a Burning Body were just going to play in Pennsylvania but it got cancelled due to the hurricane. I am friends with them and they told me after the tour wraps up they're spending a month in New Jersey recording the new cd. I got an invitation down to the studio to listen to some new music and will update everyone when I go =)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think the Misfits' biggest influence was on black metal... at least their recording methods and production quality.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Sgt. Slobber posted:

And the newer Misfits stuff is even better than their old stuff.

Oh my god what is wrong with you

Danzig's songs are the only reason the misfits exist today. Post-Danzig misfits is post-nikke anderson Entombed: pure poo poo.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QPZIL posted:

Folk metal does own, especially with female sing/screamers (Arkona)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DE6-5rKLY

Pro click pro listen. Even if you hate folk metal, just listen to this song. You may not be amazed, but maybe you'd be impressed at all the artist that contributed to this!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

keratas posted:

I've been on a prog rock kick the last few month, have there been any decent metal releases in the last few weeks? And what did people think of the latest Deceased album? Last new metal albums I bought were the latest Argus and Necros Christos if that helps influence suggestions.

New Deceased is great. Pretty much the flipside of As the Weird Travel On... in that it's death/thrash with heavy metal influences, and it's still got that oldschool heavy metal guitar tone going through all the riffs.

And well it's hardly the "last few weeks", but I recommend Venenum (everyone from Excoriate except the singer), Stench of Decay, Corpsessed, Vanhelgd, Morbus Chron, Gorephilia, Bone Sickness, Disma, Desolate Shrine.

That should cover you for death metal, aside from the obvious stuff like Autopsy and of course, if you dig NC, you've got to check Sonne Adam.

Fans of power metal should Probably check out the new Satan's Host.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 29, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gr31lly posted:

That should cover you for death metal, aside from the obvious stuff like Autopsy and of course, if you dig NC, you've got to check Sonne Adam.

Both of which are in the OP :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New video of Seraphim playing in Orlando.

Seraphim on bandcamp.

If you like your metal with some experimentation, check these dudes out.