Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Someone should make an Opeth thread because I want to talk about how pretty I think The Night and The Silent Water is.

fake edit: it is very pretty.

Have you heard the live version on Roundhouse Tapes? Completely redefines the song. (I agree with you.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

hemophilia posted:

I'm glad for that. To me, power metal is perfect at what it does, and for the most part it seems largely above the race to the bottom many other subgenres of metal suffer from. It's not my favorite kind of metal, but I like how consistent it has been over the years.
Man, I like power metal, but you make it sound like oatmeal.

quote:

I like new ideas, but I have a hard time appreciating change for the sake of change. Making your music harder, darker, and tuning down the guitars another whole-step while making your lyrics even more incomprehensible -all for the sake of being different- is not exactly brilliant or interesting, and I can think of a few bands where that sort of philosophy has ruined perfectly good music.
Just because you can't see a reason for change doesn't make it change solely for the sake of change.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

het posted:

Just because you can't see a reason for change doesn't make it change solely for the sake of change.

Haha, I didn't mean to make it sound like oatmeal like you say, I enjoy the hell out of it, and the genre is far from bland, but it really only does one specific thing for me.

I'll concede your second point to a certain degree, I just don't understand how metal is on this perpetual quest to be harder-darker-faster-more brutal-what-have-you, because after a certain point it just sounds like noise to my ears. I listen to metal more than any other genre, but once you start getting to stuff that's harder than, say, Kalmah and Arch Enemy (and I know I'll be laughed at for this, but whatever), I don't get how anyone could enjoy it. I realize tastes are subjective, but I was just remarking that most power metal bands seem to be quite above that race to the bottom, which I can appreciate because I don't care for it at all.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like grindcore because the older I get the shorter my attention span gets.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

het posted:

Like Power Metal, oatmeal is wonderful when freshly made, sprinkled with cinnamon and flax seeds, and served with organic vanilla almond milk :black101:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I'm not really a big fan of power metal but I always have a soft spot in my heart for Finist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqyAQJ08kg8

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Someone should make an Opeth thread because I want to talk about how pretty I think The Night and The Silent Water is.

I remember seeing them live once, and Mikael told the crowd about how he wrote the song after his granddad died, and everyone went 'Awwwwwwwww'. It was a bit of an odd moment.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

hemophilia posted:

Haha, I didn't mean to make it sound like oatmeal like you say, I enjoy the hell out of it, and the genre is far from bland, but it really only does one specific thing for me.

I'll concede your second point to a certain degree, I just don't understand how metal is on this perpetual quest to be harder-darker-faster-more brutal-what-have-you, because after a certain point it just sounds like noise to my ears. I listen to metal more than any other genre, but once you start getting to stuff that's harder than, say, Kalmah and Arch Enemy (and I know I'll be laughed at for this, but whatever), I don't get how anyone could enjoy it. I realize tastes are subjective, but I was just remarking that most power metal bands seem to be quite above that race to the bottom, which I can appreciate because I don't care for it at all.

If you stick with metal, you'll probably start liking the more brutal stuff. Three years ago I thought death metal sounded awful, but I got really into Opeth for their proggier parts, just sort of tolerating the growls and stuff, but after a while I started to appreciate what it did for the music. Now I play Cryptopsy while I'm eating my breakfast. It just takes a while to overcome your initial reaction and be able to break it apart. It's a gradual transition for sure, though.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Someone needs to do this.

And yes, it is very pretty. Patterns in the Ivy II is maybe their prettiest, though (it's a bonus track).

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle

BSchlang posted:

If you stick with metal, you'll probably start liking the more brutal stuff. Three years ago I thought death metal sounded awful, but I got really into Opeth for their proggier parts, just sort of tolerating the growls and stuff, but after a while I started to appreciate what it did for the music. Now I play Cryptopsy while I'm eating my breakfast. It just takes a while to overcome your initial reaction and be able to break it apart. It's a gradual transition for sure, though.

Rock > Hammerfall > Iced Earth > Edge of Sanity > Bolt Thrower > Aborted.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Rock > Hammerfall > Iced Earth > Edge of Sanity > Bolt Thrower > Aborted.

Amazingly enough, you dont stop listening to any of the stuff that preceded.

(Also theres a prog thread around here somewhere. Opeth chat should probably go in there.)

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

Amazingly enough, you dont stop listening to any of the stuff that preceded.

(Also theres a prog thread around here somewhere. Opeth chat should probably go in there.)

That thread's mostly 70s prog, and it Dream Theater gets its own thread, then so should Opeth :colbert:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

BSchlang posted:

That thread's mostly 70s prog, and it Dream Theater gets its own thread, then so should Opeth :colbert:

Well, I love Opeth, so I'd start it if I have time. As a :spergin: though the OP probably wouldnt be complete before the album came out though.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

Well, I love Opeth, so I'd start it if I have time. As a :spergin: though the OP probably wouldnt be complete before the album came out though.

Well poo poo, just make it anyway and edit the OP later.
Honestly, I don't care if the OP is just "Let's talk Opeth." I just want a place to gush over my favorite band.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defiant Sally posted:

What, is there no boring soulless crap thread?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

IRQ posted:

What, is there no boring soulless crap thread?

Why do people hate on Opeth so much?

Say what you will about them, Akerfeldt is a drat good songwriter and their live lineup is one of the most solid in the biz. He's also humble while still commanding an air of arrogance. Watching documentaries and interviews makes him seem like the coolest guy to hang out with.

Granted, their popularity has EXPLODED recently and they seem to be a token band for a lot of insufferable metal kiddies, but they're pretty good at what they do regardless of whether you like the music or not.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

I like both over Bruce "Cat Being Murdered" Dickinson.
Am I going to have to find the article where a classical voice coach wrote about how good Bruce Dickinson's voice was, or can we just agree that you don't appreciate voices with ridiculous range, and he doesn't actually sound like a cat being murdered?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
You want the best power metal out there? You can't go past the first four Manowar albums. I know its cool to hate on them, and the cheese definitely gets bad on the later releases (although there is a shitload of cheesier stuff out there) - but the first few discs? The truest of True Metal. :colbert:

Also you could try some Omen, first three albums are great, especially Battle Cry.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Am I going to have to find the article where a classical voice coach wrote about how good Bruce Dickinson's voice was, or can we just agree that you don't appreciate voices with ridiculous range, and he doesn't actually sound like a cat being murdered?

Here it is anyway because it's important reading.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PimgcBIc90I

Preview snippets from the new Opeth album. I'm...really hesitant about this one. A couple of those tracks sound okay, but the rest are pretty meh. Hopefully these poor quality samples aren't indicative of the whole album.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
A new Detroit band just got picked up by Metal Blade: Battlecross. It's very technical thrash, and they're all very good musicians, but it does have a touch of the "bro" to it.

While it really isn't my cup of tea, it's nice to see this town represented by more than just BDM.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
drat so I don't check the forums for a few days, and we have a brand new metal thread and a lot to catch up on. I'll get started listening to the rec's from this thread after I'm finished listening to loving Bilateral, this poo poo is amazing.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BSchlang posted:

Well poo poo, just make it anyway and edit the OP later.
Honestly, I don't care if the OP is just "Let's talk Opeth." I just want a place to gush over my favorite band.
Just go make the thread, their new album isn't even going to be metal anyway so it would be best to shunt discussion off somewhere else.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
People who think all power metal sounds the same don't really know the genre at all. US and European power metal styles are completely different, and the older US bands tend to have much more in common with thrash and/or speed than symphonic metal.

Unfortunately it's the keyboard and saccharine production laden continental European style that most people picture at the mention of the genre.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Still one of the most amazing songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Y'all should listen to Ancients from Vancouver. It's unusual for a fast metal band to hold my attention, but I like the way they combine melody and swing with precision without sounding lame. They're absolutely one of the best live bands in the city right now, and I've seen them unleash a couple of 9-10 minute monsters at some recent shows.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Juaguocio posted:

Y'all should listen to Ancients from Vancouver. It's unusual for a fast metal band to hold my attention, but I like the way they combine melody and swing with precision without sounding lame. They're absolutely one of the best live bands in the city right now, and I've seen them unleash a couple of 9-10 minute monsters at some recent shows.

I've been rocking their EP a lot over the last few days. Can't wait to hear where they go from here because there's a whole lot of potential in those 14 minutes. I'd love to see them live, but I don't live anywhere near Vancouver right now.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I've been rocking their EP a lot over the last few days. Can't wait to hear where they go from here because there's a whole lot of potential in those 14 minutes. I'd love to see them live, but I don't live anywhere near Vancouver right now.

Kenny and Chris are always telling me about "crushing" new riffs they're working on (their favourite word), and I believe they're supposed to be recording a full length album in January. If it's anything like what they've been doing live, expect great things.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh and if anyone wants an album that's modern, but very much heavy/speed/power metal then look no further than the new Portrait.

Most people will batter on about the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate influences, but this new album really smacks more of Iron Maiden and NWOBHM in general as well as 80s power/speed to me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We can do that last thing. I fully expected to get poo poo on for not liking Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson, so whatever.

Speaking of singers, I saw Diamond Head last night and their current lead singer sounds weird, but the show was still very nice. The setlist was like 85% Lightning To The Nations, which the crowd went crazy for.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

keratas posted:

Still one of the most amazing songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg

Goddamn, I am loving some Riot. Thanks for pointing them out.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I dont recall seeing any discussion about the new Vader album that just came out. What do you guys think of it?

I thought it was fairly average overall, probably on level with Necropolis. There are some definite stand out tracks like "I Am Who Feasts Upon Your Soul", "Come and See my Sacrifice", and the rerecording of "Decapitated Saints" is way beyond sweet.

I've kinda been stuck listening to XXV for the last few months so maybe I'm just into their old songs at the moment.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new Azarath rules. Sadly, it is not pirate metal.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
I'm both nervous and pretty excited to hear how the Lou Reed/Metallica album "Lulu" turns out. My immediate fear was that Metallica would try to scale back and be more hard-rocky and we'd end up with another Load, but they seem really excited about it. Since it seems like they're almost embarrassed to remember their Load / Reload / St. Anger days (they pretty much never play any of those songs live), I have to hope it'll be metal.

If nothing else, it's a really interesting concept.

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/index.php

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Defiant Sally posted:

I dont recall seeing any discussion about the new Vader album that just came out. What do you guys think of it?

I thought it was fairly average overall, probably on level with Necropolis. There are some definite stand out tracks like "I Am Who Feasts Upon Your Soul", "Come and See my Sacrifice", and the rerecording of "Decapitated Saints" is way beyond sweet.

I've kinda been stuck listening to XXV for the last few months so maybe I'm just into their old songs at the moment.

I guess the songs are alright but whoever produced the album can go gently caress himself. They had a completely OTT production job on Litany that sort of fits the frenetic, turbocharged nature of the songs on that disc but this and the previous album sound like they were engineered by an impotent brain surgeon.

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 3, 2011

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
This has been a good year for metal, IMHO.

The new Suidakra (Book of Dowth) and Wolfchant (Call of the Black Winds) are both great. Reminds me of why I used to really like Mellodeath/Gothenburg.

Gr31lly posted:

Oh and if anyone wants an album that's modern, but very much heavy/speed/power metal then look no further than the new Portrait.

Most people will batter on about the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate influences, but this new album really smacks more of Iron Maiden and NWOBHM in general as well as 80s power/speed to me.

This reminds me of Hibria but with more Iron Maiden and less Helloween.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Gr31lly posted:

Played it on the train today after having a few months between listens, enjoyed it way more than I initially did. Still better than the first IMO. Vocalist was trying to be KD way too hard.

Dyscrasia posted:

Goddamn, I am loving some Riot. Thanks for pointing them out.

You're welcome. Still one of the better bands from the USA. Album is amazing, each time I listen to it it's like the first time.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

BSchlang posted:

Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

There's a band called Bethlehem and it sounds creepy as gently caress. Dictius te Necare is a good place to start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoGkDtPqtbY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

BSchlang posted:

Fjoergyn is a band that does both. Also check out Der Herbst Ist Da