Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Now defunct German grindcore band Japanische Kampfhorspiele do. It's pretty groovy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gr31lly posted:

Oh and if anyone wants an album that's modern, but very much heavy/speed/power metal then look no further than the new Portrait.

Most people will batter on about the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate influences, but this new album really smacks more of Iron Maiden and NWOBHM in general as well as 80s power/speed to me.
The really remarkable thing is that there's a good band on Metal Blade that doesn't have Harry Conklin in it.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

BSchlang posted:

Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

Belphegor do some songs in German and it pretty much always sounds awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMPidQe4VOM

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

BSchlang posted:

Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

Forest of Fog.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

BSchlang posted:

Unheil sings in German, and I think Jack Slater might have some German songs in there. I second Bethlehem. Checked them out because they're on MDF, and holy poo poo.

Yaku
Dec 7, 2010
Any good folk metal recommendations? I prefer to listen to female fronted folk metal but I'm fine with either as long as it's good. :v:

I mainly listen to Arkona, if that helps any.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Menhir/Odroerir, Pagan Reign, Korpiklaani, Trollfest (altho they are all over the place), umm, I am not at home right now but others will have some suggestions too.

EDIT: Tverd is also good, they are on my iPhone now, I totally forgot about them. They are the remnants of Pagan Reign.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 3, 2011

Yaku
Dec 7, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Menhir/Odroerir, Pagan Reign, Korpiklaani, Trollfest (altho they are all over the place), umm, I am not at home right now but others will have some suggestions too.

EDIT: Tverd is also good, they are on my iPhone now, I totally forgot about them. They are the remnants of Pagan Reign.

Thanks!
That should be enough to hold me over for awhile.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Yaku posted:

Any good folk metal recommendations? I prefer to listen to female fronted folk metal but I'm fine with either as long as it's good. :v:

Nokturnal Mortum's last album, The Voice of Steel, is probably one of my favorite folk metal albums. Here's the title track.

Seconding the Pagan Reign recommendation, Ancient Fortress/Tverd is a really great album. Check this song out.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Yaku posted:

Eluveitie. As a matter of fact I believe they've collaborated with Arkona.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Yaku posted:

Just listen to Moonsorrow. Who needs anything else?

The new Falkenbach, Tiurida, is also excellent. Here's an album preview thing.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Of all the folk bands, the ones I actually like are Tyr, Kampfar and Vried (kind of folky, I guess).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BSchlang posted:

I'm both nervous and pretty excited to hear how the Lou Reed/Metallica album "Lulu" turns out. My immediate fear was that Metallica would try to scale back and be more hard-rocky and we'd end up with another Load, but they seem really excited about it. Since it seems like they're almost embarrassed to remember their Load / Reload / St. Anger days (they pretty much never play any of those songs live), I have to hope it'll be metal.

If nothing else, it's a really interesting concept.

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/index.php

Wanting Metallica to come out with a good album is like wanting hook back up with an ex that's been cheating on you for years. For 20 long years they've put out nothing but garbage. Even if they did come out with something "good", who cares about those poo poo bags? There are plenty more metal fish in the sea.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Haggins posted:

Wanting Metallica to come out with a good album is like wanting hook back up with an ex that's been cheating on you for years. For 20 long years they've put out nothing but garbage. Even if they did come out with something "good", who cares about those poo poo bags? There are plenty more metal fish in the sea.

You never forget your first time rocking the gently caress out

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BSchlang posted:

You never forget your first time rocking the gently caress out

Yeah but you can always go put on Master of Puppets, or the far superior Dream Theater cover, and not bother with trying to deal with modern day Metallica.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I really, really like Dark Tranquility's Damage Done album, is there anything else out there like that or should I start going down this list and see what grabs me

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

RentACop posted:

I really, really like Dark Tranquility's Damage Done album, is there anything else out there like that or should I start going down this list and see what grabs me

Have you listened to In Flame's old stuff? Anything Clayman and before is some pretty kick rear end melodic deathmetal.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Yaku posted:

The only other folk metal band I listen to with female vocals is Lumsk, check their album Troll. Their album Det Kilde Vor (esp the track Lad Spille Med Vaar Over Jorden) is good too, but not very metal. Asmegin's first album also has occasional female vocals.

Other than that, Metsatoll, Korpiklaani's first 2 or 3 albums, Kroda's first 2 albums, Trollfest (Korpiklaani worship, kinda corny)

edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention Leprechaun. Their demo The Ultimate Dance is classic all the way through and the track Rusalka has female vocals too.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

BSchlang posted:

Sorry that not everyone loves Black Sabbath, bro.

And no good albums of the year? Protest the Hero, Leprous, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sylosis, and Unearth have all put out sweet albums, and we still get to look forward to new stuff from Opeth, Mastodon, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Machine Head (gently caress you), plus whatever other more underground bands these threads introduce us to. 2011 has been my favorite year for metal in a long time, and Cynic's probably gonna drop something in early 2012.

BSchlang posted:

If you stick with metal, you'll probably start liking the more brutal stuff. Three years ago I thought death metal sounded awful, but I got really into Opeth for their proggier parts, just sort of tolerating the growls and stuff, but after a while I started to appreciate what it did for the music. Now I play Cryptopsy while I'm eating my breakfast. It just takes a while to overcome your initial reaction and be able to break it apart. It's a gradual transition for sure, though.

BSchlang posted:

I'm both nervous and pretty excited to hear how the Lou Reed/Metallica album "Lulu" turns out. My immediate fear was that Metallica would try to scale back and be more hard-rocky and we'd end up with another Load, but they seem really excited about it. Since it seems like they're almost embarrassed to remember their Load / Reload / St. Anger days (they pretty much never play any of those songs live), I have to hope it'll be metal.

If nothing else, it's a really interesting concept.

Look at all these terrible words

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

catbread.jpg posted:

Look at all these terrible words

Sabbath debate? What is it, last week?

Anyway the new Dream Theater owns really hard if you like Dream Theater back when they were good. I can't stop listening to it.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Yaku posted:

Kalevala. Female fronted, Russian (i think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8DxULmjHuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIwfB6O_Ac

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008

BSchlang posted:

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter. Get their albums "All you need is love" and "Have a Nice Trip".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D15H1-TKjSw

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Semprini posted:

Kalevala. Female fronted, Russian (i think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8DxULmjHuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIwfB6O_Ac

Kalevala is a Russian band.

Confusion might come in when Kalevala is also Finland's national poem and also a city in Karelia which was once owned by Finland, now occupied/owned by Russians.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So, anybody have any real hopes for TH1RTE3N (god that is such an awful name)? Honestly, after Endgame I'm really not expecting much at all from Megadeth anymore.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

ThePutty posted:

So, anybody have any real hopes for TH1RTE3N (god that is such an awful name)? Honestly, after Endgame I'm really not expecting much at all from Megadeth anymore.

I really liked Endgame :colbert:
or at least half of it

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible
Sol Niger Within is one of the best metal albums I know of. It's Fredrik Thordendal's (Meshuggah guitarist) solo project of sorts. It's not exactly brand new, and I don't know if its existence is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share it with those unfortunate enough to never have heard this brilliant album! You can hear the whole drat thing on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kXLkJA6g0, so please do so.

grandma why fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2011

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

BSchlang posted:

Dornenreich are quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYGR2Ljygw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYNhXNNlBWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPbl1ZJvm78

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

grandma why posted:

Sol Niger Within is one of the best metal albums I know of. It's Fredrik Thordendal's (Meshuggah guitarist) solo project of sorts. It's not exactly brand new, and I don't know if its existence is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share it with those unfortunate enough to never have heard this brilliant album! You can hear the whole drat thing on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kXLkJA6g0, so please do so.

The video of Fredrik and Morgen (?) their drummer doing a medley from that album is pretty much the best drum performance I've ever seen. Really worth checking out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BSchlang posted:

I really liked Endgame :colbert:
or at least half of it

I really like three songs from Endgame, and the rest are good and listenable, though not great. I have high hopes for the new album, and I think each Megadeth album after Risk has been increasingly good. Who knows though, maybe I'm a fangirl or something

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

maybe I'm a fangirl or something

I see The Offspring at the bottom of your list. Would that be the delicious self-titled album?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I really like three songs from Endgame, and the rest are good and listenable, though not great. I have high hopes for the new album, and I think each Megadeth album after Risk has been increasingly good. Who knows though, maybe I'm a fangirl or something

I'm curious to know what other people's all time charts look like. This is from 3 years of mine:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Haggins posted:

I'm curious to know what other people's all time charts look like. This is from 3 years of mine:

Sure, why not.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

The video of Fredrik and Morgen (?) their drummer doing a medley from that album is pretty much the best drum performance I've ever seen. Really worth checking out.

That would be Morgan Ågren, probably my favourite drummer in existence. He's in a great prog band called Kaipa, but my favourite stuff of his is by his band Mats/Morgan Band. And yeah, he played on Sol Niger Within, which is also brilliant.

He's also done some stuff with Zappa plays Zappa.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'd post my last.fm thing, but a lot of it's dictated by basically the bands that I've listened to the longest, so there's a disproportionate amount of Opeth, Enslaved and Katatonia compared to everything else, even though I'm not that into any of them these days.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Haggins posted:

I'm not the most regular poster in this thread, but I lurk a lot and have had a last.fm account running since the gently caress-end of forever.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

MrBling posted:

Sure, why not.

That's a pretty good list

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hellwuzzat posted:

I see The Offspring at the bottom of your list. Would that be the delicious self-titled album?

I think it's probably a random assortment of songs off Smash, Ignition, and their self-titled, mostly for nostalgia. When I was 12, I used to spend most of my free time playing The Offspring (and sometimes Metallica) on my cheap guitar, thinking I was hot poo poo. Memories...

Haggins posted:

Here's my all-time chart, and I've been a member since 2006 (I listened to David Cross routines while I did homework, and I graduated college in '09 -- I can't really explain the mc chris though):

Fun fact: My top overall tracks contains three Megadeth songs. My top tracks from the last 12 months contains 14 (and the one straggler is a Metallica song).

Another fun fact: I am so stoked for the Big Four show that I had a dream about it. :blush:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

From February 2009 to now.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

The Perfect Element posted:

I'd post my last.fm thing, but a lot of it's dictated by basically the bands that I've listened to the longest, so there's a disproportionate amount of Opeth, Enslaved and Katatonia compared to everything else, even though I'm not that into any of them these days.

Yeah same here. My Last 12 Months chart is pretty different from my Overall chart. Gonna post anyway though because I may have claim to the worst overall chart of any poster in the thread. This is since March of 2005.

Anyway I saw Kamelot in Toronto last night. Anyone who is wondering about how they are with Fabio probably won't be disappointed, he fits great with the band.

Also based on the interaction he had with the crowd before their set started, I think the Alestorm frontman might be a little weirded out by the band's fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

My itunes/ipod hasn't scrobbled in over a year. I should really just delete Last now...since my computer time doesn't match last, I will never be able to scrobble again. Bummer.

But if I had to guess, my all time top scrobble would be Acid Bath or Agents of Oblivion.