Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

...will you be wearing the obligatory Opeth wristband too?

Female-fronted black metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIY7NvhynE
Darkestrah - Cult Tengri

Nah, it's supposed to be outside and it's my only long sleeve shirt.

I realized the goony reference while posting it, but I decided to go for it anyways.

edit: Some new page metal content; I came across a video for Howl's Heavenless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFnLxZwSys

Bloody and fun.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Don't know if anyone here is a fan, but B from lifelover died. :(

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Well that's them hosed then. He wrote everything.

And since i'm pretty tired of the women vocalists thing popping up like clockwork every few months i'll just link to the old thread.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 11, 2011

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gr31lly posted:

Well that's them hosed then. He wrote everything.

And since i'm pretty tired of the women vocalists thing popping up like clockwork every few months i'll just link to the old thread.

We should just add to the OP a list.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I love Leather Leone, her work with Chastain and her solo stuff sounds so vicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3uRNNxnCV4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Late, but my Lastfm list is...weird. It's also not very metal. It's like it only pays attention to only certain things.

The biggest mystery to me is what Evergreen Terrace is doing there, or from the looks of that list why I even read this thread.

Anyways, I saw Chthonic, Skeletonwitch, Devildriver and Arch Enemy tonight. Overall a drat good show. I've been wanting to see Chthonic for a while and they were great but annoyingly the crowd was audibly fixated on how attractive the bassist was. I had never really listened to Skeletonwitch but that will change because they were pretty amazing. Devildriver were dull and generic. It's will always be a mystery to me why they're popular. I actually prefer Coal Chamber, and I don't like Coal Chamber either. Arch Enemy were Arch Enemy, which all I can really ask of them. Man those were some good solos.

It should be noted that a bunch of local bands opened as well. I gave up on them when the second one was a Numetal band. Really...Numetal...in 2011. I was confused. I really wanted to tell them that the genre they picked hasn't really been popular in 11 years and is not really liked by the actual metal community. They hit like every cliche too. They kept trying to start a circle pit and it just wasn't happening.

Oh and lastly, on the topic of female fronted metal, here's my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vghuTrKZJAk

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 11, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Vargatron posted:

I was browsing reddit this morning and I found a pretty cool upstart folk metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAF-fDivfj0&feature=related

They're called Aether Realm and they're out of Greenville, NC! (Just a state away from me!) I think the vocals stand out the most for me. Mid to high register death metal vocals but the enunciation is amazing. So far they just have a 2 song EP out, but the band looks extremely promising!

Whoa I was just visiting Greenville for the weekend and came home to find this! (I live in Greensboro, about 3 hours away).

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have this thing in my head which is either a faint memory or a dream. In this memory/dream, I was reading blabbermouth about five years ago and I saw a split EP between four bands who all had comically similar names. It was something like, a warbringer/battlebringer/warcry/battlecry split. Did this happen? I hope this happened.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Gr31lly posted:

Thanks for the link, I found some good stuff. In the end, I think I'll go with "My Plague" by Kittie and something by Sub Rosa.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Hey everyone, my band's celebrating 9/11 in style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=514xJbSF_z0

hope you like

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cross-Posting from Musicians Lounge.

I needed to do something band related that WASN'T mixing\mastering today. So I put together an album teaser. 10-30 seconds of each song from the album :)

The mix\master isn't 100% yet, but eh, it's good enough for a teaser :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYp4UwY-R_0

This video contains 10-30 seconds of each song from our upcoming album due to be released...eventually

Please note that the album is still going through final mixing and mastering so things may sound a little different (hopefully better!) on the final release.

If you're interested in buying a copy of our album, please contact us through facebook on:
http://www.facebook.com/blackhandaus

Thanks for listening!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dead Man Posting posted:

We should just add to the OP a list.

done

EDIT: Errr, compile a list and I'll put it in the OP. I have no desire to check out any of the bands listed there.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Don't forget :black101:Dark Castle:black101: for female-fronted metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dgUkIVDtl4

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

:allears: stevie floyd

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

:allears: stevie floyd

She's dating Mike Scheidt from YOB too. If they have a kid, he's going to be the heaviest musician.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Neckbeards rejoice- Dillenger Escape Plan, Mastodon and Red Fang tour dates announced.

http://www.theprp.com/2011/09/12/ne...-the-late-show/

side note- "Curl of the Burl"...whenever I read that, in my head I think of a fat stoner neckbeard talking with food in his mouth. "Brah, Curl of the Burl, brah. *slurp slurp*" Ugh.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I wish I could grow a neckbeard so I could go to that show

I don't know what the general consensus on Enslaved's most recent albums is, but I caught Giants on an online radio station a while back and after listening to the whole of Axioma Ethica Odini, I'm really enjoying it. Aside from moving backwards through their catalogue, what else should I check out for what I guess is basically prog metal played to sound like watered down black metal? Feel free to tell me this album is actually poo poo and I should listen to anything else instead.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2011

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I just heard the new ICS Vortex album, and it sounds like Enslaved fronted by Geddy Lee. You might like it, though there are no black metal vocals.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can dillinger escape plan be even called the same band? I liked all their early albums which were just chaos and stopped for a while. Coming back I hear it's some new generic loving crap. What a disappointment.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Can dillinger escape plan be even called the same band? I liked all their early albums which were just chaos and stopped for a while. Coming back I hear it's some new generic loving crap. What a disappointment.

Yeah, I think the only original member is one of the guitarists, but I may be wrong - they may not have any left. They're pretty terrible compared to how they used to be :/

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Monkeytime posted:

I just heard the new ICS Vortex album, and it sounds like Enslaved fronted by Geddy Lee. You might like it, though there are no black metal vocals.

I like Enslaved. I like Geddy Lee. I may have to check this out. How is Asgeir's drumming?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Rumors are floating around that Megadeth has canceled on the Big Four show, in which case, SOMEBODY might have a spare ticket soon...

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.livestream.com/?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=deadend-logo&utm_content=anthrax

EDIT: RIGHT NOW

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Welp, guess I'm gonna be crying myself to sleep tonight.

Revolver Magazine posted:

In an interview with Zakk Wylde for RevolverTV, backstage at tonight’s Metal Masters 2 clinic, bassist David Ellefson revealed that Megadeth would not be playing the Big Four concert on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. When Zakk asked him whether he was excited about the big show, the bassist said that it was hard for him because it looked like they wouldn’t be playing. Vocalist-guitarist Dave Mustaine had injured his shoulder while playing on the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour and was unable to play. He did say that there were two more days and he asked everyone to pray for the Megadeth frontman and maybe somehow they would be able to play. Revolver will keep you posted of any developments as they happen.

edit: :smithicide:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've got a :smithicide: too:

October 18th to 23th: Heidenfest in Italy/Austria/Slovenia
Up to October 25th: I must be in Sweden
From October 26th: I must be in Italy
October 27th: Within Temptation in Sweden

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Within Temptation even still plays at metal shows? Why?

Speewah
May 28, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, I think the only original member is one of the guitarists, but I may be wrong - they may not have any left. They're pretty terrible compared to how they used to be :/

Grandfathers axe. I'm not the biggest fan of DEP, but I'm a sucker for their lighter stuff. Parasitic Twins off the latest album is easily one of my favourites.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IRQ posted:

Within Temptation even still plays at metal shows? Why?

They don't even consider THEMSELVES metal, as far as I know. The mind boggles.

Also,

Blabbermouth posted:

**UPDATE** BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received word that MEGADETH will, in fact, take part in this Wednesday's concert as scheduled. A brand new video message from MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson confirming the band's intention to play the show can be seen below.***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5ILniUYuU

Okay then.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

I like Enslaved. I like Geddy Lee. I may have to check this out. How is Asgeir's drumming?

I'm not familiar with the guy's body of work, but I feel it's pretty appropriate for the material. Very rock n' roll style of writing while remaining on and not behind the beat. I guess you could call it clinical but it strikes me as more not-sloppy. The drum sound, like every other instrument, is pretty highly compressed. Overall I dig the album.

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

I've been getting really into Sybreed the last few weeks. Does anyone know of any other electro/industrial metal out there in the same vein?

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Might try Turmion Katilot for the industrial infused metal. Not totally like Sybreed but it might work. Im curious for some other recommendations too.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Qu Appelle posted:

Very buried by the poo poo production. Really, the album isn't anything to write home about. It has a few strong tracks, with the title track being one of the best things ICS Vortex has ever done, but most of the songs strike me as nothing more than ideas. A lot of the songs go absolutely nowhere, a few songs have some absolutely mind-boggling fadeouts and the production is pretty poo poo. I dunno what it is with Vortex and tinny, compressed production but it seems all his good albums suffer from it (edit: and, really, going by his track record, this would be considered a good album). It's his curse or something.

Anyway, even if it hadn't suffered from the aforementioned production troubles, Asgeir's drumming would still be pretty mediocre. There's nothing on the album to really highlight his drumming style, he could literally be one of hundreds, if not thousands, of other run-of-the-mill drummers.

Still, like I said, it's not all bad. You'd do well to check out the title track (which has been removed from YouTube recently, I guess, otherwise I'd post a link - I'm sure it's not gonna be hard to find, regardless), which literally outshines every other song on the album. I can't help but think that if Hestnaes managed to find the inspiration to write an album full of tracks that strong, he would've had a pretty amazing album on his hands.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 13, 2011

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 22, 2016

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm guessing they're referring to the lack of dynamic range in the mix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwLeLdkYjs

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow! Just found out I get to see Skeletonwitch and Kvelertak on tour together next month. gently caress yeah!!!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Shao821 posted:

I've been getting really into Sybreed the last few weeks. Does anyone know of any other electro/industrial metal out there in the same vein?

You should check out defunct band Red Harvest. Their later albums have this awesome industrial thrash feeling and I really dig it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! Just found out I get to see Skeletonwitch and Kvelertak on tour together next month. gently caress yeah!!!

poo poo man stop that, I don't have spare pants at work.

Any tour dates announced?

edit-- October 20th, Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, NC... Tremont? Really? Fuuuuck I hate that place.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 13, 2011

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What does it mean when a drummer's sound is referred to as "compressed?"

I've seen this mentioned a few times in the last few pages here and don't understand the reference. Is it a dry sound without reverb or something? Maybe a youtube example would illustrate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Compression is an essential part of music production, as it serves to "even out" the volume of a track by increasing the volume of quiet parts and limiting the volume of loud parts (well, actually "limiting" is another, related concept, but let's not worry about that). Too much compression, however, can remove the dynamics between volume levels that you want, leaving a track sounding "squashed."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Juaguocio posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Compression is an essential part of music production, as it serves to "even out" the volume of a track by increasing the volume of quiet parts and limiting the volume of loud parts (well, actually "limiting" is another, related concept, but let's not worry about that). Too much compression, however, can remove the dynamics between volume levels that you want, leaving a track sounding "squashed."

In layman's terms, instead of a drum fill sounding like
BoopadoDAPPA-ba-doopa

It'll sound something like
BOOPADODAPPABADOOPA

No dynamics, no subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, totally going to this.