Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Most wrestlers cannot wear a suit.

Old school luchadors looked great in suits, but otherwise yes this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

;

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The two people with the biggest pops pre-Covid were Cody and Hangman, therefore everyone should either wear a suit or chaps and a leather vest with no shirt. The Village People look is a draw, brother.

Third option: everyone puts their hands in their pockets.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

all this Colt saving money talk and no one has linked to the CM Punk and Samoa Joe shoot where they talk about how much of a grifter Colt Cabana is, and that was 15 years ago

"FOR UPWARDS OF 45 DOLLARS"

The carniest of the carny, bless his heart.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Seams posted:

Only a matter of time until Q infests AEW as well unfortunately.

Sadly, I think Jericho would be patient zero for that if it happens. He's dumb as hell and just online enough to possibly get sucked into it. I'd say Hager but I don't think he's online enough.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

The real breeding ground is facebook and Jericho seems like he sticks to IG and Twitter for his real loving around stuff. It's huge in mom groups now.

Good point! There's always the outside chance that he'd dismiss it as nerd poo poo, too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shanna isn't even a chud. A doofus, sure, and definitely someone with too much faith in the US government. But she's not anywhere in the same league as Hager and (arguably) Jericho.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

She came out in support of Trump on Twitter and then deleted it. Sounds pretty chuddy to me.

More specifically, she told people on Twitter not to automatically poo poo on his coronavirus treatment suggestions (which were bad) out of a genuine (and stupid) belief that every idea during a crisis is worth humoring. She was very rightfully dunked on for this because it was a dumb thing to say, but I don't think that makes her a chud.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Pretty sure if your response to anything Trump says isn't an automatic "what the gently caress is this idiot talking about now", you're probably a chud

Probably, yeah. I'd personally categorize Shanna as someone who is a bit dim and has a crazy quilt of political beliefs that all contradict each other (which describes most people, sadly) before I'd lump her in with guys like Hager, but I understand why people here don't trust her.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's also Jericho and I've not no time left for him either.

That's absolutely Jericho and I can't say that I blame you in either case.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I think Bully was pretty great when he was in that dumb TNA stable Immortal.

He was, but he wasn't even in the same universe as Eddie is now. Eddie's promos are up there with Cody, Mox, and Jericho, in my opinion.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Draxion posted:

he and Trent used to wear Against Me shirts as basically their entrance gear all the time too

Chuck wore Andrew Jackson Jihad and Lucero shirts a lot in Chikara.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vagabundo posted:

Where is Corbin's barony, and how often does he sit in the House of Lords? Is his title hereditary, or is it merely honorary?

Will he ever be upgraded to Viscount Corbin?

I'd love a character whose noble titles rose or fell in importance as he won or lost championships.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vagabundo posted:

Yes. Give Corbin a stable, dress him up like a dandy in a powdered wig, and have his proxies wrestle for him.

So basically a foppish Raven's Flock? I'm in.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

stab posted:

This is so, so, SO true about Sami hahaha.

Larry David is an unlikable New York phony so now I'm concerned.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Not only is The Rock a white supremacist, he's also a red!

Which makes him a full-blown pinko!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know when it stopped being an issue for me, but having "weird arms" was never anything anyone made fun of me for or even brought up, it was all just invented in my own brain. Body issues are loving weird!

They really are! I feel like non-WWE wrestling in general has become more body-positive in recent years, and I'm for it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

This could have been an all timer of a gimmick had they handled it right. R Truth is ruined beyond repair, but imagine Eddie Kingston stopping to light up in the middle of beating someone's brains in.

I mean look what it did for Sandman.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

I hope OC puts Cody into a shock headlock out of nowhere and plays his head like a bongo.

I hope the match starts with OC being too lazy to lock up and Cody getting incredibly flustered about it, then they have a good match that OC wins.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

Kinda bizarre at how much, well, everything has changed in the last 3 years.

Jericho's physical condition, especially. Dude looks ten years younger in this photo.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The actual best match for Rush in AEW would be Cody as Cody is more than willing to bleed and do the crazy stuff Rush loves to do in his matches

So is Mox. They'd both be great, one as a gritty semi-hardcore brawl and one as a melodramatic southern-style movie fight.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I wonder where Cody Hall would be if he had Cody Rhodes's professionalism

Rotting in the Performance Center because he's tall and built but isn't very good and his oafishness has injured at least one opponent.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

STAC Goat posted:

I understand tradition and all but I gotta admit that actually caring about it feels kinda Quackbushian.

Losing your mask in lucha libre used to mean getting paid so it's the least Quackbushian thing ever.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

In my very limited interactions with him, he's EXACTLY what you'd expect from interviews. Just wonderful.

He comes off like a strange but down-to-earth man who genuinely loves his wife, so this is great to hear.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's a travesty that we don't have a reality TV show that just follows their home life. Mox shouting about hockey, laughing about deathmatch scars, and shooting blowguns while Nene is desperately trying to finish 20 different pies for book photos

Renee would spend at least one episode setting elaborate traps all over their house to keep Jon from eating the pies before she can take pictures of them. Eventually Jon would suggest baking a gimmick pie to distract him so she can document the shoot pies without interruption.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was already fine with her never coming back now I'm actively hoping for that outcome.

Me too, after seeing that. Gross. Sucks, because I like her as a wrestler and thought she was just wine-mom stupid and not actively bigoted, but showing support for Marine La Pen is a bridge too far.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

STAC Goat posted:

She's mediocre in the ring at best. She really, really connected with the Impact audience as a character, was really over when she won the Knockouts belt, and then did a lot of fun stuff with Rosemary and the Bunny stuff. She's definitely way more character than wrestler.

Her first few AEW matches were really bad, but her tag matches with Brandi and singles Dark matches since the tag tournament were decent. As long as they keep her matches relatively simple and give her room to do character stuff, she's fine.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

stab posted:

Oh this game is cute haha

(Yes I know who lovely nick is, no its not dolph ziggler)

So who is it?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChrisBTY posted:

I sorta feel like, minus Brock Lesnar of course, Sami has the best grip on 'the grift' IRT Vince McMahon. I don't quite understand how though. Like at some point he decided he wanted WWE but didn't need WWE the way his coworkers do. Probably just shooting gas out of my rear end but he definitely seems to have a different relationship with the fed than most others.

The key difference between Sami and most of his peers in the company is that Sami is outspoken and willing to stick up for himself. He had that rep on the indies well before he signed with WWE, and that's saved him from the kind of slobbering company loyalty we've seen from Ricochet.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Alaois posted:

eddie kingston's promos on AEW have focused far more on his love and dedication to professional wrestling than "im a violent street thug"

Not to mention that even violent street thugs have individual interests and hobbies. Eddie's just happens to be the golden era of AJPW.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Eddie's had lovely gear at every other stage of his career so why break tradition now?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

From what I gather his co-host, Brian Last, had an email/letter that purported to be from someone on the production team for the Elite Deletion that said Reby was an absolute nightmare to work with and wouldn't let people look her in the eyes or talk to her at all.

Why would they share that information with Brian loving Last, of all people?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think her medical history is the stopper more than her age. She had what was believed to be a stroke awhile back and I think it turned out to be a congenital heart defect, she had cervical cancer a couple years ago, she had some sort of knee problem (I think severe arthritis) that led to her saying she was retiring last year. From what I understand she's putting on good matches again, but there's just a lot of medical red flags that probably lead to major promotions not wanting to sign her for anything long term.

Yeah, the stroke alone would make me think twice about hiring someone for a job where they're at constant risk of concussions.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Germansimp posted:

Having watched the first one, yeah, it's exactly that. Plus, as Gallows and Anderson themselves have said, you have to be absolutely drunk (or stoned) to actually enjoy it.

Untrue, as I watched the first one sober and thought it was great.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChrisBTY posted:

Have we forgotten about Clementine Cassidy so soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh48YbTCGsw

Clementine Cassidy was/is cool, but most adult superfans are annoying dorks.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

harperdc posted:

I love how earnest and excited so many guys sound, but both Tony Schiavone and Taz sounding so loose and upbeat is so good. Really throws years of WWE into sharp relief.

and I love that AEW allows things to have more than one note - for Taz to have his promos, to analyze moves in the pre-taped packages, and to show a bit more during commentary. It's a much better tone.

It also helps that AEW commentary isn't a gapless wall of noise and fake enthusiasm. Even NXT commentary is terrible now because the desk isn't allowed to ever stop yelling and they have a billion different brand extensions to shill during every match. I don't know how people stand it.

Really, the "more than one note" observation extends to the rest of AEW's product too. It's refreshing to see variance in a wrestling product and it's worth a clunker match or segment here and there for me. Everything in WWE looks and feels exactly the same, and if any match or segment rises above that flat constant it's by mistake and/or reserved for the talent Vince likes. It loving sucks and I'm glad AEW is less predictable.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

He is lifelong friends with Chris Jericho, on the other hand.

Lance Storm is also good buddies with Jericho and manages to avoid that poo poo, so there's still hope for the Original Kiss Stealin' Death Dealin' Kingdom of Nyein' Third Eyein' son of a gun, Doctor Luther MD.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

By all rights I should hate Grinch Penelope and I'm mad that I don't.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 21, 2020

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

This match rules but it has to have been a major contributor to Necro's mental/physical decline.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Did nobody tell Necro Butcher wrestling is fake?

He was trained by Black Bart in exchange for cases of cheap Army base beer, so maybe not.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hasn’t Necro turned out to be a pretty big piece of poo poo? I remember reading something about him being an abuser and lovely father, and I’ve seen him in a MAGA hat, maybe someone can clue me in.

He has, and at least some of that is due to obvious brain damage from years of getting his unprotected head bashed into things. Not the only factor by any means, but it's a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cavauro posted:

isn't marko stunt knowingly brothers with a known creep?

Wait till you hear about who Drew Gulak is brothers with.