Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Let's talk hardcovers...and trade paperbacks, Absolute Editions, Library Editions, Ultimate Collections, Premieres, Deluxes, Masterworks, Archives, Essentials, Showcases, Omnibuses, Compendiums, Gargantuas, Whole-Shebangs, Custom Binds, and anything else with two covers and a bunch of comics in-between.

There's a lot of books out there (I mean seriously, you have no idea how mind-bogglingly many books there are out there. I mean, you look at your walls and go "Hmm, that's a fair 'mount!" but then Glenn Danzig posts some pics, and well, now you're a sorry sausage) and there are a lot of versions of the same collected material because moneymoneymoney, so it can get confusing. Here are a few helpful resources:

Collected Editions: often updated with reviews of new trades/hardcovers, and has a pretty extensive review archive. New solicitations are posted here as well.

Collected Edition Release Schedule: Kept up to date (kinda sorta), so you'll never miss the newest Bomb Queen trade.

ComicbookDB: Want to know, for example, what issues the trade of Batman R.I.P. collects? Easy cheesey. Or likewise, look up an issue and see what books include it.

:slick: TERMINOLOGY BREAKDOWN :slick:
Each publisher likes to use their own special made-up terms for their collected editions, so there's a lot of marketing-speak to wade though.

:flashfap: DC:
• Absolutes: Those gigantic slipcovered beasts that weigh 5 pounds, and are a good 13" high. You want to see every character that George Perez drew, here's the way to do it. They can get pricey, and you're probably not going to take them down off your shelf anyway.

• Deluxe Hardcovers: DC's standard oversized hardcover, usually released a good 6 months after the last single issue contained within, and god knows when the paperback version will follow. Sometimes, DC puts a lot of love into them, with special gold or silver foil stampings on the front and ooh, how pretty! Sometimes, they release the Batman and Robin volumes.

• Archives: Beautiful HC reproductions of DC's Golden and Silver Age comics. There are a lot of them, and pricey, so don't go nuts trying to buy them all. If you do, toss a Batman volume my way.

• DC Omnibus: So far, a pretty random grab-bag of reprints. A lot of Jack Kirby, to be sure. And Starman! Why not! Unlike Marvel's Omniboo, these are not oversized, because DC hates you. Unless they are! I know the Green Lantern Omnibus is printed larger than the GL Archives, but if you want more accurate information, you'll just have to ask, mister.
*direct link to someone who knows a lot more about these than I do*

• Showcases (aka Showcase Presents): Thick, cheap, black-and-white reprints of older material, and DC's version of Marvel's Essential volumes. Each book includes over 500 pages of reprints, primarily from the Silver Age, but there is some slightly more modern fare represented (Ambush Bug, Booster Gold).

:spidey: MARVEL:
• Premiere Hardcovers: Same size and contents as a standard trade paperback; these often arrive very shortly after the arc finishes its initial run, and trade versions will generally come out about 6 months or so after the HC drops (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• Oversized, or Super-Sized Hardcovers: Same height as DC's Deluxes, but often collect more issues (but definitely not always). These are pretty fantastic, and hit that sweet spot of size, price, and usability. Marvel OSHCs are my favorite types of books out of all of these.

• Marvel Omnibus: Break-your-wrists thick, oversized, will often collect 30+ issues. Actually says OMNIBUS on the spine. That's bonafide!

• Essentials: 500+ black and white pages, phone-book sized, cheap, and often focus on a certain character or team. Perfect for taking a million issues of The Punisher with you on long bus rides.

• Masterworks: The high-quality HC (and later paperback) reproductions of classic Atlas/Golden/Silver Age Marvel. Here's the full list.

• Ultimate Collections: Thicker paperbacks that generally collect longer runs--each book often contains the same amount as 2-3 standard trade paperbacks, and are a great alternative to tracking down OOP Omnibuses (see: Alias, New X-Men, Daredevil). I wish DC did more stuff like this, as they'd be perfect for Hitman or Suicide Squad but nooOOOoooo they have to release those in tiny chunks :(

:wotwot: Custom Binding
You have maybe also seen talk about taking those piles of old comics you never take out of your longboxes and smashing them together Big Barda-style to create your own custom Hardcover binds. Many times this is done to collect stuff that's not going to be collected otherwise, due to licensing or lack of overall market interest. It's also done to create better versions of books the publishers actually did put out (I'm looking at you, DC One Million). Or maybe you don't feel like re-buying the same material twice. There's a bunch of reasons. This seems to have taken off in the last few years, and there are a few resources out there to help you get started.

First off, there are two forums purely dedicated to this mad hobby, here and here. This page in particular will probably answer most of one's initial questions about what the hell custom binding is all about and how to get started. It really just boils down to prepping your comics for binding (ripping out double-sided ads & back covers mostly; don't worry, your comics aren't worth anything anyway!), sending what you want bound to a reputable bindery, waiting a few weeks, and then receiving a brand-spanking-new hardcover of your very own, personalized to your specifications. Please feel free to ask away though, there's a few of us who will be able to help you bring those back issues back to life! Once you get into it, you may find it really hard to stop:

2012 UPDATE: :ocelot:
jimcunningham has started up a separate binding thread here.

:20bux: Retail Bits
If you're looking to buy/sell/trade books from/to/with your fellow goons, hit up this thread over in SA-Mart.

Amazon is easily one of the best places to go to buy books for low, low prices (often ~40% MSRP). Any order over $25 gets you free shipping as well, so go ahead and pick up that copy of Chew Vol. 1, future-starter! An Amazon Prime membership nets you unlimited free 2-day shipping with no minimum order size, so if you buy a lot, it might be worth it! I've not used DCBS myself, but I know a lot of people here use it all the time.

If you do have old trades, and can't get rid of them, and they're not full of Lingerie Specials (you creep), think about donating them to your local library! Get your hometown kids hooked on X-Men, not Ecstasy!

:h::h: In Summary
Feel free to post pics of your libraries, sagging shelves and weekend hauls, ask questions about replacement shelving because your last one cracked under the weight of 12 Marvel Omniboo and crushed your cat, inquire where you can get a new cat, post deals and steals, share your Amazon fishes (see below on how to do this), and ask away about whether anyone thinks it's weird that you mix your DC and Marvel books together. It is.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Nice OP :)

One thing I feel is worth mentioning, the best places to buy trades/hard covers are usually either Amazon or DCBS. Their prices are typically way better than Barnes and Noble or other places, and if you get stuff on Amazon you can get free shipping with Amazon Prime

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Nice OP :)

One thing I feel is worth mentioning, the best places to buy trades/hard covers are usually either Amazon or DCBS. Their prices are typically way better than Barnes and Noble or other places, and if you get stuff on Amazon you can get free shipping with Amazon Prime
Good idea. I've added some additional info.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
UK specific info: http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/ are the best binders I've used so far, but far pricier than their US equivalents (just over £30 a book). Amazon & Forbidden Planet International are the two best online retailers, and really only use the latter when they do their 40% discounts. If you're a UK comic fan and don't read something from 2000AD, you're basically making GBS threads on the queen, so start buying those Judge Dredd phonebooks. And arrange your comics alphabetically by Author or Artist - character worship is stupid.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
For both UK and foreign buyers thebookdepository.co.uk is another good place to buy from as the prices tend to be the same as Amazon.co.uk and also has free worldwide shipping.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Great OP! Maybe bold DC/Marvel and put a bold binding title?

How about including a blurb on Omnis by DC (though it is super confusing) ala Jack Kirby/Starman type omni vs. GL/NTT Omnis?

Masterworks also includes Golden age and soon if not already Bronze age.

Also DC has the Showcase line ala Marvel Essentials.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

wildlele posted:

Great OP! Maybe bold DC/Marvel and put a bold binding title?

How about including a blurb on Omnis by DC (though it is super confusing) ala Jack Kirby/Starman type omni vs. GL/NTT Omnis?

Masterworks also includes Golden age and soon if not already Bronze age.

Also DC has the Showcase line ala Marvel Essentials.
Thanks. I've made some further revisions. If anyone sees anything else that's blatantly wrong or should be in the OP, please let me know.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 30, 2011

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
Maybe something list this for the DC Omnibus Info:

DC has released 2 types of Omnibu so far. Creator Spotlight on Silver Age Creators. Jack Kirby's Fourth World Series, Jack Kirby's OMAC, Jack Kirby's Green Arrow, Steve Ditko's Creeper and Steve Ditko miscellaneous sorties collected in 2 Omnibu so far. These books are generally in the 300-500 page range, use non glossy paper and are normal trim size. Also in the category are the Starman Omnibu. These 6 volumes collect all of the James Robinson Starman series along with tie ins, mini series, and specials, all in reading order.

Then there are the "Marvel style" DC Omnibu. These are oversized (just like the "DC Deluxe HCs, Marvel Omnibu/OSHCs) they are printed on glossy paper and with 1 or 2 exceptions are all in the 600 or more page range. This seems to be the direction DC is heading with their Omnibus program, save for the lines that have already started ie. Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

The "Marvel Style" DC Omnibu include:
Silver Age Green Lantern Vol. 1
Flash by Geoff John's Vol. 1
New Teen Titans Vol. 1

There are Amazon place holders for:
Silver Age Green Lantern Vol. 2
Flash by Geoff Johns Vol. 2
New Teen Titans Vol. 2
Hawkman by Geoff Johns Vol. 1
Teen Titans Omnibus by Geoff Johns Vol. 1

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

Maybe something list this for the DC Omnibus Info:
Fantastic. That's a lot of info for the OP, so I just added a direct link to that post.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 30, 2011

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
The only other real thing I can think of would be amazon fishing. To see what may or may not be coming out prior to the solicit, go to your amazon.com/ca/co.uk of your choice and search for 'dc comics' or publisher of your choice (marvel comics, idw comics, dark horse comics, fantagraphics, etc.) then choose books, graphic novels and sort by release date. You should be able to see the next 4-6 months of releases and sometimes get some insane pre-order deals.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I figured this is the best place to ask - Is the new Hardcover for Snyder's run on Detective his full run on the title? It says it's 288 pages, if that helps. I just wanted to be sure before I preordered that sucker.

It's this one, by the way.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/140123206X/
I just noticed that the page count has since increased to 304 pages--so uh, that's pretty awesome.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
I know binding is the cool thing to do this year, but would it be possible to move all binding discussion to its own thread? Frankly, they're all custom, one-time jobs, aren't solicited in advance via the content publishers, and can't be purchased through normal retail distribution channels. I know a great deal of work goes into trimming, organizing, stacking, and shipping books to the binders, but I'd rather see information on commercially available mass-marketed hardcover/softcover goodies in this thread than a discussion/photo essay of which Annuals are deemed worthy in a custom Catwoman binding.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This thread came from the old thread specifically because people wanted more information about binding.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Someone go buy the New Teen Titans omnibus that came out today and tell me how awesome it is so I can feel bad about buying all these stupid Archive Editions.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Uthor posted:

This thread came from the old thread specifically because people wanted more information about binding.

Then, with respect, go to the Masterworks messageboard. They already know everything there is to know about binding over there. and seriously, people posting book maps is the most boring poo poo ever.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

Then, with respect, go to the Masterworks messageboard. They already know everything there is to know about binding over there. and seriously, people posting book maps is the most boring poo poo ever.
That is why I linked those two other forums in the OP. I honestly don't expect people to do any real map listing here, and those other forums are honestly much better suited for it. However, if anyone has questions about the process as a whole or anything, or wants to share photos of books they've created, they are free to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For all you DCBS users, you should know that their general manager has just left the company. He was the single reason they had such good inventory control and with his departure I expect things to begin to slide.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Does anyone know why BPRD vol 2 is "Under Review" at Amazon? I got my copy yesterday and have only flipped through it, but I can't see anything wrong with it.

Hopefully it's not something like a few pages out of order that I won't notice until way later.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

...with his departure I expect things to begin to slide.

Might be just a hair bit premature to say things like that. I have already gotten my shipping notification for this months shipment which is earlier than normal.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Somehow, I was completely unaware that the Waid/Wieringo run on Fantastic Four had been collected in OSHC until I saw the first volume at a used book store this afternoon. Picked it up for a steal, and now it's on to grabbing the other volumes!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

Might be just a hair bit premature to say things like that. I have already gotten my shipping notification for this months shipment which is earlier than normal.

Honestly I expect IST to slide more than DCBS. IST utilizes their store inventory which he was responsible for. With him gone their already sorry employees will almost certainly let things go.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
EC Archives are back baby!

First-generation EC Comics fan Russ Cochran and second-generation EC Comics aficionado Grant Geissman have established a boutique imprint called GC Press, LLC. The imprint is dedicated to the high-quality preservation of the 1950s EC Comics—in book form, and presenting complete issues, the way EC originally intended!

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17958/EC-ARCHIVES-GC-Press-LLC-Press-Release

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
First up I'd like to thank Glenn Danzig for providing me with a 'how to spot sewn binding' guide in the last thread.

Secondly I'd like to make fun of all the silly ways he tries to pluralise the word 'omnibus' when it's already a plural.

Thirdly a thank you to Rhyno for checking out whether the Wolverine omnibus is out of print or not as it seems to have vanished from the UK (hopefully temporarily).

Fourthly - I just got my Acts of Vengeance cross-over omnibus from amazon.co.uk for a verging-on-mispriced £27 so thank to whomever in the last thread thread flagged that up.

Fifthly - hooray for the new thread!

Jeremys Iron fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 2, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I figured with a new thread this is a good time to ask this. How do you orginize your shelf? I used to do publisher/character name alphabetical. Then for a while I went author's last name alphabetical. Then I wanted to see all my Ult. FFs next to each other so now I do publisher/ book title alphabetical.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I do it by title ... mostly.

I've got all my digest sized books together because they tend to get lost on the shelves if I mix them in with bigger things; by title. Then, all my other books by title, excluding Marvel (Marvel is separate as it works as a "universe", DC is not because I mostly only have Batman and it doesn't make sense for me to have a DC section). I make an exception when books are tied together. For example, under "H" I have all my Hellboy and BPRD next to each other. Under "B" I have my Batman books; these are generally by published date.

Then, all my Marvel books are collected together, generally by subject and published date. Eg, all my space opera under "A" for Annihilation, followed by Annihilation: Conquest, etc. All my X-Men under "X" starting with Age of Apocalypse, New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, etc.

I have oversized books elsewhere as they don't fit on the shelves with everything else.

I do it this way as I usually look for books based on title. "I want to read 'X'". If you think of books more based on the author or artist you want to read, collect them that way. Or do a hybrid: sort by title except keep all your Frank Miller together under "M". Whatever feels most natural.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!
I organize my books right to left because I mentally always stack them and like to read them top-down. That's what I tell myself anyways.

I'm moving house again and hate myself for buying so many omnibus and absolutes. Speaking of which, hasn't it been a while since any new absolutes have been announced/come out?

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Neep posted:

I organize my books right to left because I mentally always stack them and like to read them top-down. That's what I tell myself anyways.

I'm moving house again and hate myself for buying so many omnibus and absolutes. Speaking of which, hasn't it been a while since any new absolutes have been announced/come out?

Last new one was Absolute Identity Crisis due out in October. DC is also reprinting Absolute Hush and Watchmen.

Oh and Absolute Promethea Book Three in December.

Inkslinger
May 23, 2001

wildlele posted:

Last new one was Absolute Identity Crisis due out in October. DC is also reprinting Absolute Hush and Watchmen.

Oh and Absolute Promethea Book Three in December.

Wasn't Absolute Authority Vol. 1 getting reprinted as well? (He says, fingers crossed...)

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Inkslinger posted:

Wasn't Absolute Authority Vol. 1 getting reprinted as well? (He says, fingers crossed...)

Not even close.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Inkslinger posted:

Hopefully it does, I enjoyed selling my Absolute Planetary v1 and Walking Dead Slipcase v1 for triple the reprint price. I then pour that profit back into more hardcovers :D

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I organize by publisher/size (they usually go hand in hand). My collection isn't big though - I only really have ~30 hardcovers, and I really only collect in that format.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I didn't expect Borders to have anything I wanted, but there were a few things I snagged at 60%. They had a LOT of Siege books, Naruto, Doonesbury hardcovers, etc. Also like 20 copies of a comic called The Griff which I've never heard of.

I may go back and get some more of Monster, and the HC of Stumptown.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jeremys Iron posted:

Thirdly a thank you to Rhyno for checking out whether the Wolverine omnibus is out of print or not as it seems to have vanished from the UK (hopefully temporarily).

Did I tell you?Well in case I didn't, Diamond is indeed sold out of it.

Sea Monster Attack
Aug 28, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

I didn't expect Borders to have anything I wanted, but there were a few things I snagged at 60%. They had a LOT of Siege books, Naruto, Doonesbury hardcovers, etc. Also like 20 copies of a comic called The Griff which I've never heard of.

Thanks for the heads up, I totally forgot the Borders liquidation. Picked up a bunch of Pluto, Biomega and Transmet. Between this and ridiculously cheap poo poo with free shipping at gohastings I'm pretty much broke now.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I figured with a new thread this is a good time to ask this. How do you orginize your shelf? I used to do publisher/character name alphabetical. Then for a while I went author's last name alphabetical. Then I wanted to see all my Ult. FFs next to each other so now I do publisher/ book title alphabetical.
I have a Marvel shelf in ordered alphabetically by title - so Captain America then Captain Britain etc.

Then another bookshelf for stuff that isn't Marvel (Swamp Thing, Starman, the couple of Absolutes I own etc.)

Also Alan Moore gets his own section (but the Captain Britain omnibus is in with rest of the Marvel stuff - some sacrifices had to be made).

Rhyno posted:

Did I tell you?Well in case I didn't, Diamond is indeed sold out of it.
You didn't tell me. This is bad news. Balls.

What are the odds of a reprint come the next Wolverine movie do you reckon? It feels to me like this should be like the Spider-Man omnibus rather than the more obscure stuff, but that may be wishful thinking.

(amazon.com have it for $99 but unless the dollar takes a nosedive of Bush-era levels - which we all pray it will - that'll remain over my limit of what I'm willing to spend on an omnibus - especially after shipping).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jeremys Iron posted:

I have a Marvel shelf in ordered alphabetically by title - so Captain America then Captain Britain etc.

Then another bookshelf for stuff that isn't Marvel (Swamp Thing, Starman, the couple of Absolutes I own etc.)

Also Alan Moore gets his own section (but the Captain Britain omnibus is in with rest of the Marvel stuff - some sacrifices had to be made).

You didn't tell me. This is bad news. Balls.

What are the odds of a reprint come the next Wolverine movie do you reckon? It feels to me like this should be like the Spider-Man omnibus rather than the more obscure stuff, but that may be wishful thinking.

(amazon.com have it for $99 but unless the dollar takes a nosedive of Bush-era levels - which we all pray it will - that'll remain over my limit of what I'm willing to spend on an omnibus - especially after shipping).

The book took years to finally sell out. It's far more likely they'll do a second volume rather than a reprint since most of the contents of the first one are available in smaller books.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

You just reminded me that I need to finish getting Monster... but apparently the majority of the series is retardedly expensive and OOP! :argh:

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The book took years to finally sell out. It's far more likely they'll do a second volume rather than a reprint since most of the contents of the first one are available in smaller books.
Why you gotta do this to me man?

I thought they kept printing it? It used to vanish from amazon, the book depository etc. for a couple of months and then magically reappear (though that may just be indicative of poor stock management).

Ah well - saved me some money I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jeremys Iron posted:

Why you gotta do this to me man?

I thought they kept printing it? It used to vanish from amazon, the book depository etc. for a couple of months and then magically reappear (though that may just be indicative of poor stock management).

Ah well - saved me some money I guess.

Marvel probably sent replenishments from their warehouse. If it's drying up everywhere it means they've finally run out altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
In the previous thread, Jeremy's Iron asked:

Jeremys Iron posted:

(also what the hell happened to keeping the letters pages, very few of my recent omnibuses have had them).

Only the Silver Age Omniboo -- or more properly, the Omniboo that used to be 3-4 Masterworks volumes -- have letters pages. All the rest don't. Basically, it's the Masterworks editor slipping in a little bonus material.