Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Empowered Hardcover Deluxe Edition. 700 pages of fanservice!
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-720/Empowered-Deluxe-Edition-Hardcover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Are the two Marvel Strange Tales hardcovers oversized, or regular sized?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

redbackground posted:

Are the two Marvel Strange Tales hardcovers oversized, or regular sized?
The first is oversized, at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

The first is oversized, at least.

As is the second.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Oh god I forgot to cancel the Irredeemable slipcase and now I own it :signings:

phelps
Mar 28, 2011

Uthor posted:

Empowered Hardcover Deluxe Edition. 700 pages of fanservice!
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-720/Empowered-Deluxe-Edition-Hardcover

My body is ready.

And just after getting the first Osamu Tezuka Buddha hardcover, I find out some of the others are OOP and overpriced.

Go figure.

Guess I'll just fill the blanks with the paperbacks. Hardcover snobbery can only take you so far in this hobby.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

phelps posted:

My body is ready.

Adam Warren has posted the pencils and inks of the cover on deviantArt and mentioned that he's also working on the cover for the second HC. I bet that comes along fairly quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would really be nice if DC would print a new edition of the Warren Ellis Authority issues so I could ifll these drat special requests.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
The main OSHCs from Marvel for December

quote:

UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC
Written by KURT BUSIEK, G.L. LAWRENCE, TOM DEFALCO, ROGER STERN & FRED HEMBECK
Penciled by PAT OLLIFFE, PAUL LEE, TERESE NIELSEN, ALEXI TAYLOR, GREG LOUNDON, KEN MEYER JR., RON FRENZ, BOB MCLEOD, NEIL VOKES, MIKE ALLRED, TOM LYLE, JOHN ROMITA & FRED HEMBECK
Covers by PAT OLLIFFE
Join acclaimed tale-spinner Kurt Busiek as he weaves an intricate web of “lost” stories from Peter Parker’s earliest days as the Amazing Spider-Man! Swing along with Spidey during a series of untold gems in which he encounters the likes of the Human Torch, Dr. Octopus, the Vulture, Sandman and more classic characters — along with some new ones like Batwing and Bluebird — on his way to becoming Marvel’s premiere super hero! Collecting AMAZING FANTASY (1995) #16-18; UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN #1-25, #-1, ANNUAL 1996-1997 and STRANGE ENCOUNTER; and material from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #37.
800 PGS./Rated T …$99.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6247-6
Trim size: oversized

AVENGERS BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS: HEROIC AGE HC MOVIE COVER
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR., ALAN DAVIS & STUART IMMONEN
Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Brian Michael Bendis brings the Avengers out of the darkness and into a new Heroic Age! Recent events have sundered Iron Man, Thor and Captain America’s long friendship. But when unstable magics cast the heroes-at-odds into the scattered Nine Realms, they quickly realize the world is not how it should be. Can they come together and put it right? Then, as the three heroes reassemble the Avengers, Kang returns from the future bearing ill tidings of a force so powerful even he can’t conquer it! Plus: When the forces of evil begin literally dropping out of the sky, and even Marvel’s master mystics are powerless to stop them, Luke Cage and his New Avengers must step up! Collecting AVENGERS (2010) #1-6, AVENGERS PRIME #1-5 and NEW AVENGERS (2010) #1-6.
448 PGS./Rated T+ …$39.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6198-1
AVENGERS BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS: HEROIC AGE HC ROMITA JR. COVER (DM ONLY)
448 PGS./Rated T+ …$39.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6465-4

X-MEN: SCHISM HC
Written by JASON AARON & KIERON GILLEN
Penciled by CARLOS PACHECO, FRANK CHO, DANIEL ACUNA, ALAN DAVIS, ADAM KUBERT, SALVADOR ESPIN, TIM SEELEY & BILLY TAN
Cover by ALAN DAVIS
The X-Men event of the decade is right here! It’s never been a more dangerous time to be a mutant. Even with their numbers at a record low, the world refuses to trust mutantkind. And after a mutant-triggered international incident, anti-mutant hatred hits new heights. Of course it’s at this moment, when the mutant race most needs to stand together, that a split begins that will tear apart the very foundation of the X-Men. From superstar writer and Marvel Architect Jason Aaron and a full roster of comics’ top artists, this is an X-tale that will reverberate for years to come! When the dust settles, the X-Men landscape will be irreparably changed. Collecting X-MEN: SCHISM #1-5, GENERATION HOPE #10-11 and X-MEN: REGENESIS.
224 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5668-0

INCREDIBLE HULKS: WORLD WAR HULKS HC
Written by VARIOUS
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
The Hulks go to war! Everything Bruce Banner knows has been turned upside-down — and everything he’s ever desired may be just a heartbeat away. Don’t miss the insane action as Skaar faces his most brutal battle, and Bruce his greatest temptation — and the identity of a certain scarlet smasher is finally revealed! Plus: Brace yourself for the coming of Hulkpool! And see what the other hulked-out heroes are up to as the gamma-god of thunder and a not-so-friendly neighborhood Spider-Man tear up Washington, D.C., and Wolverine and Bucky Barnes square off! And what path has led the Savage She-Hulk called Lyra the Wizard’s Frightful Four? Collecting WORLD WAR HULKS #1, FALL OF THE HULKS: SAVAGE SHE-HULKS #1-3, HULKED-OUT HEROES #1-2, WORLD WAR HULKS: SPIDER-MAN VS. THOR #1-2, WORLD WAR HULKS: CAPTAIN AMERICA VS. WOLVERINE #1-2, and INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #312 and #609-611.
448 PGS./Rated T+ …$49.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6215-5

No real surprises as I think all of these were listed in the Hachette PDF a while ago.

Don't think I'll bother with any of these. I did like Untold Spidey but I've still got all the single issues somewhere and I didn't like it that much to warrant an upgrade.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Dark Tower omnibus was in the solicitations as well but that's been covered already.

Also who could resist this:

quote:

SPIDER-MAN: THE PSAS TPB
Written by VARIOUS
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by TODD MCFARLANE
The Spectacular Spider-Man does the Marvel Universe proud in a titanic tome that’s both entertaining and educational! Swing along with Spidey and a gathering of his amazing friends — including Storm, Luke Cage, Power Pack, Jubilee and the Fantastic Four — as they take on a host of important social issues in the inimitable Mighty Marvel Manner! Collecting SPIDER-MAN VS. THE PRODIGY; SPIDER-MAN, STORM & POWER MAN; SPIDER-MAN & POWER PACK; SPIDER-MAN AGAINST VERBAL ABUSE; SPIDER-MAN & THE NEW MUTANTS FEATURING SKIDS; ADVENTURES IN READING STARRING SPIDER-MAN; SPIDER-MAN: CHAOS AT THE CONSTRUCTION SITE; SPIDER-MAN: RIOT AT ROBOTWORLD; SPIDER-MAN BATTLES THE MYTH MONSTER; SPIDER-MAN: SKATING ON THIN ICE; SPIDER-MAN: DOUBLE TROUBLE; SPIDER-MAN: HIT & RUN; SPIDER-MAN: CHAOS IN CALGARY; SPIDER-MAN: DEAD BALL; SPIDER-MAN: HOW TO BEAT THE BULLY/JUBILEE: PEER PRESSURE; SPIDER-MAN: FATHERHOOD; FAST LANE #1-4; SPIDER-MAN ON BULLYING PREVENTION; HEROES VS. PLAQUE: WHEN PLAQUE ATTACKS; and SPIDER-MAN: YOU’RE HIRED!
456 PGS./Rated T …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5978-0

And hey, Marvel's doing their first non-superhero, non-horror Essential with Rawhide Kid! Maybe someday they'll get around to reprinting Sgt. Fury.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The Dark Tower omnibus was in the solicitations as well but that's been covered already.

And hey, Marvel's doing their first non-superhero, non-horror Essential with Rawhide Kid! Maybe someday they'll get around to reprinting Sgt. Fury.

Essential Sgt Fury was actually solicited last month, can't wait for that. And I may pick up Rawhide Kid too, never read it before.

Is the Dark Tower solicit a second print or something? Didn't it come out a few weeks ago?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Essential Sgt Fury was actually solicited last month, can't wait for that. And I may pick up Rawhide Kid too, never read it before.

That's right. I ordered it and I completely forgot about it.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
God dammit. Speaking of forgotten orders, why did I forget that I pre-ordered "Holy Terror" in a fit of madness?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I got some stuff today from Amazon.

For some reason they didn't ship BPRD vol 2 despite it being in stock. It's still preparing to get shipped.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

MrBling posted:

I got some stuff today from Amazon....

Holy mis-folded dust jacket!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

No poo poo, I report stuff like that as damaged.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Glenn Danzig posted:

I've had a few really badly misfolded dustjackets recently. And guess what? They're all on DC hardcovers because of their "We can't be arsed to shrinkwrap stuff" policy.

My Gene Colan Batman HC was mis-folded at a really awkward angle. It took a fair bit of coaxing but I did mange to get it back into a reasonable shape.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I hope the next BPRD hardcover is solicited soon, I need my fix! Volume 2 was fantastic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrBling posted:

For some reason they didn't ship BPRD vol 2 despite it being in stock. It's still preparing to get shipped.

IIRC there was a physical problem with Amazon's shipment of BRPD volume 2 (probably mangled by Diamond ;) ).

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Bloody hell, even the shrinkwrapping doesn't help. Got my New teen titans Omnibus this morning and the spin's about a centimetre and a half askew. I'm not anal about these things so I won't be sending it back, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't get me a bit narked.

Also got the NTT: Games GN, not read it yet but it's a really nice looking book. The old-school GN format has perfect dimensions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I seem to remember hearing about a second Fraction Iron Man omnibus being announced a long while back or something, but I'm not seeing anything onAmazon. When was this supposed to be coming out?

AutoL
Aug 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I seem to remember hearing about a second Fraction Iron Man omnibus being announced a long while back or something, but I'm not seeing anything onAmazon. When was this supposed to be coming out?

Took me a bit of digging to find it when I ordered one but it's listed as simply Invincible Iron Man Vol. 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Iron-Man-Vol-2/dp/0785145532/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317524877&sr=1-1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Much thanks.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeah, they called volume 1 of Fractions's IIM an omnibus but it's just an OSHC.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

Shameless posted:

Bloody hell, even the shrinkwrapping doesn't help. Got my New teen titans Omnibus this morning and the spin's about a centimetre and a half askew. I'm not anal about these things so I won't be sending it back, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't get me a bit narked.
I'm somewhat flabbergasted to hear people getting so worked up about misfolded dustjackets that they *return the book*. I've gotten a fair few misfolds, and I just take the jackets off and re-fold them correctly.

It's not like the jackets are *creased* along their current fold lines -- they're just rounded a bit. You can fold them backwards along the same lines and they'll flatten right out. It's a little annoying, sure, but certainly not return-worthy...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Last week I decided that it was finally about time that I got around to reading Tintin. And given the length of the series I thought the best option would be to order the box set for the series. It arrived today and I was surprised to find out that it lacked three stories: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo, and Tintin and Alph-Art.

I know that the first two are highly controversial at best and supposedly not very good and the last one is an unfinished work but the entire point of a box set is to collect everything. I can understand where they might not want to present the two stories featuring racist caricatures first; they could have shoved them into a volume in the back with an essay explaining their place in the stories. Skipping over both ends of the Tintin stories just seems the wrong way to do this.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Random Stranger posted:

Last week I decided that it was finally about time that I got around to reading Tintin. And given the length of the series I thought the best option would be to order the box set for the series. It arrived today and I was surprised to find out that it lacked three stories: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo, and Tintin and Alph-Art.

I know that the first two are highly controversial at best and supposedly not very good and the last one is an unfinished work but the entire point of a box set is to collect everything. I can understand where they might not want to present the two stories featuring racist caricatures first; they could have shoved them into a volume in the back with an essay explaining their place in the stories. Skipping over both ends of the Tintin stories just seems the wrong way to do this.

But then you would render the box set unsuitable for children, prudes and anyone who just wanted to read Tintin stories. Those three books (speaking as someone who owns all of them) are ephemera at best. There is literally no reason to read them unless you have a deep interest in Hergés development and art, something that most people who read Tintin - hell, that generalises to everything - don't.
Also, they're awful. Dude, you aren't missing anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Hark! A Vagrant Hardcover comes out tomorrow! I'm so excited!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, it doesn't make much sense. If the first 2 volumes are considered controversial, there's also controversial stuff later in the series. I love Tintin but it's clearly full of demeaning stereotypes, for everyone.
Anyway, if you haven't read this yet, you're in for a treat. There's some very good stuff in there, as classic to me as Eisner, Kirby or Tezuka can be (and these guys are my big 3).

drat, I should look for a box set in french or something. All I have are old rear end hardcovers published in 1980.

In other news, my Kamandi HC has shipped. I think it's the collected edition I've been the most excited about this year.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
The most annoying thing about the Tintin box set is they are micro sized. I was expecting fullsize books. It is a shame to have the art shrunk down.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

wildlele posted:

The most annoying thing about the Tintin box set is they are micro sized. I was expecting fullsize books. It is a shame to have the art shrunk down.

Wow, really? That is disappointing as I was going to buy this for Christmas. Guess I'll be saving up and buying the full sized individuals.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

KFCB posted:

Wow, really? That is disappointing as I was going to buy this for Christmas. Guess I'll be saving up and buying the full sized individuals.

Yep, I regret not doing that. You'd think with a movie they would release a hardcover full size box set but my amazon searches have turned up nothing.... Some interesting biographys on Herge are coming out though. Tintin Companion is worth a look and there are a few art books that are fun to flip through.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but are there any plans for a fourth Brubaker Captain America Omnibus?

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but are there any plans for a fourth Brubaker Captain America Omnibus?

Nothing has been solicited (officially announced) but I would be stunned if there wasn't.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really hoping that the hundred bullets hardcovers have nice paper. Like the Fables hardcovers, and not like the Y the last man, and Preacher ones. Wishful thinking on my part?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JackDarko posted:

I'm really hoping that the hundred bullets hardcovers have nice paper. Like the Fables hardcovers, and not like the Y the last man, and Preacher ones. Wishful thinking on my part?
I like the YTLM paper stock. It's not glossy, but there's weight and durability to it, and it's miles above what the hardcover Swamp Things get.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

redbackground posted:

I like the YTLM paper stock. It's not glossy, but there's weight and durability to it, and it's miles above what the hardcover Swamp Things get.

I really don't like how matte it is, and the covers themselves show that quality really wasn't their goal. If the Fables one wasn't so much better in terms of production value I would just assume that's the best they can do.

You're right about the Swamp thing hardcovers though, and i'm sure if it does turn out to be matte plenty of people will still like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 100 Bullets hardcover has excellent paper stock, no worries.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
Just got the first trade of Morrison's JLA(the new printing that they released in hardcover in 2009).

Any word on the second one, because I can't seem to find any information about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know the odds on Jason Aaron's Punisher Max coming out in OSHC/Omni? Thwipster has the regular HCs on sale today, and I need to decide if I want to wait.