Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Beats me then, 4 months after the final issue isn't the worst thing in the world. Either bind your own or suck it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wildlele posted:

Beats me then, 4 months after the final issue isn't the worst thing in the world. Either bind your own or suck it up.

It's bothersome because Flashpoint was released so quickly and Marvel's trades are released within what, a month of the end of the arc? And I don't want shoddy bound books, I want real trades that flow with the rest of my bookshelf.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

How awesome would it be if DC kept the price points the same for the next round of trades? $14.99 for a 7-issue trade is a drat good deal, and hopefully Amazon discounts that their standard ~30% or so. Could be looking at a $10, 144 page collection.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

It's bothersome because Flashpoint was released so quickly and Marvel's trades are released within what, a month of the end of the arc? And I don't want shoddy bound books, I want real trades that flow with the rest of my bookshelf.

DC will finally grant the wish of so many readers: matching spines among trades! Every DCU New 52 book will feature the same trade dress, coloring, font, and all!

Be careful what you wish for, especially from a company whose trade practices are so hosed up to begin with

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Shameless posted:

On the plus side, they are pretty nicely priced and, Batwoman aside, all contain at least six issues.

:ssh: Its #0-5.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

LCQC posted:

:ssh: Its #0-5.

I stand corrected. Even better then. Despite the delay in their release I'm more than happy with the announced trades, like I said the price is the main thing and they've got that absolutely right.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
DC February 2012 solicits

Yes please to the following

ABSOLUTE FINAL CRISIS HC
BATMAN: BIRTH OF THE DEMON TP
BATMAN INCORPORATED VOL. 1 DELUXE EDITION HC
THE FLASH ARCHIVES VOL. 6 HC
100 BULLETS BOOK TWO DELUXE EDITION HC
DMZ VOL. 11: FREE STATES RISING TP
NORTHLANDERS VOL. 6: THOR’S DAUGHTER TP

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think Final Crisis may be my first absolute edition.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

wildlele posted:

How is this different from this:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Incorporated-Vol-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401232124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321310070&sr=8-1

Is the Amazon linked one cancelled?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Beanpants posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Incorporated-Vol-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401232124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321310070&sr=8-1

The solicits for the one in 2012 says it contains #1-8 and Leviathan Strikes #1. I'm guessing the one you linked to wont have the LS special, considering it ships as a floppy the same month.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Beanpants posted:

Yeah, the product updates page at Diamond's site says the original solicit is cancelled.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Any word on an Azz Chiang Akins Wonder Woman hardcover? It's like nowhere to be found on the new 52 trades solicit page.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
WTF?!?!

quote:

FLASHPOINT: THE WORLD OF FLASHPOINT FEATURING SUPERMAN TP
Written by MIKE CARLIN, REX OGLE, DAN JURGENS, SCOTT SNYDER and LOWELL FRANCIS
Art by RAGS MORALES, PAULO SIQUEIRA, GENE HA, EDUARDO FRANCISCO, DAN JURGENS and NORM RAPMUND
Cover by GENE HA
On sale MARCH 14 • 256 pg, FC, $17.99 US
Don’t miss this Superman volume collecting WORLD OF FLASHPOINT #1-3, BOOSTER GOLD #44-47, THE CANTERBURY CRICKET #1 and PROJECT SUPERMAN #1-3.

So this means almost a year after the last Booster Gold TPB collecting up to #38, they're dumping the last few issues of the series in a Flashpoint tie-in TPB? Does that mean Booster #39-43 will never be collected in a proper TPB?

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011
I just ordered the Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker Immortal Iron Fist Omni, hope I enjoy this, I remember hearing tons of positive buzz back in the day, but I was so new to comics when that was coming out that I didn't want to leave my insular DC fanboy bubble.

I'm really torn on rather or not I want the Absolute Final Crisis. I own every issue in singles, loved it when it came out, but haven't read it beyond the second reading. Since then I've grown to sort of dislike it in retrospect. I don't know if this is just the distance between me and the work alongside my exposure to people complaining about it catching up to me, or my actual opinion though. May have to dig out the singles and see if I'll finally cave and buy an absolute edition. But we should certainly try to shame them into including those Batman issues.

Also, does anyone know if they're ever going to solicit Uncanny X-Men Vol.2? Vol.1 came out ages ago to my understanding and I've been debating on rather or not I want to drop that much cash on Vol.1 (at least $175-$200) when it ends in the middle of an arc. Are they just waiting for the Marvel Masterworks line to catch up with them or what? I'm fairly new to collecting Marvel's hardcovers so I don't know much about the behind the scenes going-ons.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Zevin_Mars posted:

I just ordered the Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker Immortal Iron Fist Omni, hope I enjoy this, I remember hearing tons of positive buzz back in the day, but I was so new to comics when that was coming out that I didn't want to leave my insular DC fanboy bubble.

It's a great book, you're going to enjoy it. What's a shame is there doesn't seem to be a second volume coming, which it badly needs.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

These for me:

BATMAN: BIRTH OF THE DEMON TP
LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: JIM APARO HC
THE NEW TEEN TITANS OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC

A decent month from DC. Absolute Final Crisis is a no-no, there's no real reason to upgrade from the exisiting HC as far as I'm concerned unless you want the 3D. I think the art is also a bit too hit and miss to make the oversized format worthwhile. If it was all Jones and Mahnke then maybe but the fill in artists were less than stellar.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 15, 2011

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Is Birth of the Demon just a reprint? I never read the original so I'll grab that one.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Romav posted:

Is Birth of the Demon just a reprint? I never read the original so I'll grab that one.

Yep, it reprints Son of the Demon, Bride of the Demon and Birth of the Demon according to the solicit.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Zevin_Mars posted:

Also, does anyone know if they're ever going to solicit Uncanny X-Men Vol.2?....Are they just waiting for the Marvel Masterworks line to catch up with them or what?

Yep.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/11/15/announcing-the-highly-anticipated-wonder-woman-hardcover/

This answers my question glad it's a hardcover I am really looking forward to it. Best DC book out right now.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
King City drops in February. 440-something pages, golden age sized, for 19.99. That means there's bonus material too. If you don't buy this, you don't like comics.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bairfanx posted:

King City drops in February. 440-something pages, golden age sized, for 19.99. That means there's bonus material too. If you don't buy this, you don't like comics.

My patience/forgetfulness has finally paid off!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

My patience/forgetfulness has finally paid off!

I would've paid double that too. This is 44% off the MSRP of the issues (which means, if your buying via Amazon, you're getting one hell of a deal).

I kind of want to just buy a pile so that I have them as gift options when it eventually goes out of print.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

The third BPRD HC has been solicited. I like the speed they're releasing these at.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
wildlele and anyone else here than does custom binding, I've got a quick question for you: What's the maximum number of issues you'd put into a single volume?

Edit: So a 92 issue collection would be best as 3 volumes?

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 17, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uber Kosh posted:

wildlele and anyone else here than does custome binding, I've got a quick question for you: What's the maximum number of issues you'd put into a single volume?
I'd imagine 20-something is a pretty common upper limit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I went as high as 30 issues with back covers and double-sided ads removed, but it would be better to keep it around 25, give or take. That 30-issue book is a little heavy and awkward now. You live and learn!

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
I've done 37 before, because I've never found a UK binder that could do it for less than £35, so I tend to cram stuff in.
That said, that one had a couple of pages that didn't bind properly and had to be sent back, so I wouldn't do quite that many again.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Absolute Planetary Vol. 1 for a reasonable price (shipping to Canada)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Absolute Planetary Vol. 1 for a reasonable price (shipping to Canada)?

Not gonna happen for under $140 dude. I told everone when it went out of stock! Nobody listened to me!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Uber Kosh posted:

wildlele and anyone else here than does custom binding, I've got a quick question for you: What's the maximum number of issues you'd put into a single volume?

Edit: So a 92 issue collection would be best as 3 volumes?

I'd split it into 4 volumes and find some 'extras' to pad it out a bit, maybe interviews, scripts, sketches etc.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Just received my copy of Batman: Noel. The art blows me away. Going to read it later but I keep flipping through it to check out how great it looks. Hope the story is at least half as good as the art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Romav posted:

Just received my copy of Batman: Noel. The art blows me away. Going to read it later but I keep flipping through it to check out how great it looks. Hope the story is at least half as good as the art.

I found the art to be wonderful but the story to be so lacking. Another case of artist but not writer.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Not gonna happen for under $140 dude. I told everone when it went out of stock! Nobody listened to me!

Even the reprint when V2 came out?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Previews have got the Marvel list up.

No details but I'm guessing (based on price) these are the oversized ones

quote:

AVENGERS CROSSING OMNIBUS HC DEODATO DM VAR ED $99.99
AVENGERS KREE SKRULL WAR HC $34.99
SPIDER-MAN SPIDER-ISLAND COMPANION HC $39.99
VENGEANCE HC $24.99
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN HC VOL 12 $39.99

Might get the Kree Skrull War and Vengeance but that's only if I've got spare cash. Neither are a must-have for me. The Crossing is complete and utter shite and why it's been given the omnibus treatment is a mystery for the ages.

Four Classic Premiere's too this month

quote:

SILVER SURFER PARABLE PREM HC $24.99
THING SERPENT CROWN AFFAIR PREM HC $24.99
HULK RETURN OF MONSTER PREM HC $29.99
AVENGERS PRIVATE WAR OF DR DOOM PREM HC $29.99

Parable's probably a definite buy but it would be nice if it were oversized for the Moebius goodness. I assume there will be some additional content as Parable itself is pretty short, 48 pages or so. Will need to see the contents for the Hulk and Avengers books to see if they're worthwhile.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 18, 2011

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

gently caress yes, was starting to lose faith.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

StumblyWumbly posted:

gently caress yes, was starting to lose faith.

Woooo! Yeah, I was also wondering if the smaller premiere HCs were the only format they were going to do Ultimate Comics Spider-man in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zachack posted:

Even the reprint when V2 came out?

The price bottomed out when the reprint came out but those are long sold out so the demand is back up.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Crossing can sit next to Secret Wars 2 in the "why did they collect this poo poo" pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

The Crossing can sit next to Secret Wars 2 in the "why did they collect this poo poo" pile.

I totally want the Crossing Omnibus just to see if they can make sense out of it. Back when it was being released nobody could figure out what order to read half the drat books in and the "official" read list Marvel put out didn't work.