Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Now that's a pretty top-shelf failure. Wow. Are there any details on that problem and fixes for that problem? I need to make sure the guys at work know that is a thing.

One of the things we're starting to look at with out SELs is utilizing the IRIG-B GPS inputs to give us extremely accurate times stamps for events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I do have a question that came up recently - some companies are selling synchronous condensers - basically super-overexcited synchronous motors with no attached load. Does anyone know how far you can overexcite those kinds of synchronous condensers?

I was discussing it with someone and they were talking about absolutely huge power factors like 0.2 leading but I'm not sure if that's correct. Plus my understanding is there can be overvoltage and stability issues with running part of a grid at a highly leading power factor.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
As far as that bilge transformer goes you can buy an IP67 or IP68 or NEMA6 rated box to put it in. Those are rated for temporary submersion of the box.

The conduit needs to be sealed and watertight and you also need to be very careful since the transformer could overheat easily in a watertight box.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Those are some aggressively dead dudes.

We were shown those pictures once during a presentation at work - most people didn't recognize there were two bodies in the image until they showed some other views.

The "equipment" used by copper thieves included stuff like rubber gloves used for handling chemicals, dishwashing gloves, stuff like that. The real-deal stuff used for live line work is purpose-built and has to be checked before used and regularly rectified or replaced.

No gore here but still impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfwpF68Di8k

Live-link removal to isolate equipment at an indoor 132,000 volt substation. Things get good around 3 minutes.

Additional fun: step potential
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0i1SxtzPZA

"Slowly move your feet apart. If you feel a tingly feeling in your legs, you are still in the step potential zone, and must continue bunny-hopping."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 23, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
General question:

Does anyone have specific, accepted criteria for the point when a construcion/engineering project can be officially declared a "train wreck"?

In my head it's at least the following:
- Fatal accident or serious injury
- Serious equipment damage (six figures or greater)

Or a combination of a couple of these factors:
- >25% cost overrun
- Significant schedule delay
- Significant modifications or redesigns WHILE things are being put together
- Lawyers or arbitrators getting involved
- Terminations or resignations
- Management or customers declaring the project "a train wreck"
- Requesting different replacement contractors

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Vanagoon posted:

Now that's what you call earning yourself a Darwin Award. God -drat-

I'm guessing 13.8kV looking at the drip shields there. Not the most carbonized bodies I've seen but it's still pretty significant.

CYKA BLYAT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNNa25UGT7U

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 17, 2017

• Locked thread