Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Regarding power factor, I've noticed recently that there is a lot of bitching going on about PF in regards to Compact Fluorescent light bulbs.

Does this amount to anything or is it just people choosing to bitch about anything they can find to bitch about? I'd think that something that draws as little power as a CFL wouldn't really be enough to make someone care one way or the other.

lots of results in google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cfl+power+factor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

tworavens posted:

I worked at an Aluminum smelter.

A bit off topic, but have you ever heard of Aluminum referred to as being "congealed electricity" because it takes so much power to smelt it?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

kastein posted:

Speaking of arcing, a friend of mine on IRC just linked some pictures... the title was "thieves aren't engineers".

:nms::nws::gonk:WARNING: THERE ARE VERY DEAD PEOPLE IN THESE PICTURES - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. That's what happens when you try to steal a live high voltage line for scrap.:gonk::nws::nms:
http://imgur.com/a/AUeZr

Now that's what you call earning yourself a Darwin Award. God -drat-

• Locked thread