Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Frozen Horse posted:

Interesting. This is making me wonder about the usefulness of designing sound, lighting, and power-generation equipment for portable-generator driven outdoor festivals (or raves, etc.) to work at 400 Hz. Lighter amp-stacks to load and unload, less of the expensive copper wiring and permalloy in the amps, easier-filtered mains hum, and one can always run it off of some sort of inverter when there is mains power available. Is this complete crack-pottery?

It'a a decent thought, and applied on aircraft where weight savings are important, but as grover already covered, you'd have to compensate in your cabling and you would see a more pronounced skin-effect through the conductors.

Thanks for this thread Three-Phase, I only took two high-power classes back at school, I'm mostly high-speed signals / digital electronics these days.

And whoever posted that beer analogy for S/P/Q, that is amazing, I stole it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Proc posted:

230 delta vs 208 wye: What are the pros and cons of each and how do you decide which is better for a particular installation?

Bit rusty...

Wye (208V)
208V between any two legs
120V between any leg and neutral

Delta (230V)
230V between any two legs
115V between two legs and ground**
some higher voltage for the last leg to ground (180V?)

** - some Delta systems are not grounded

So Wye delivers three 120V rails for your goodies, Delta can only deliver two (obviously). Delta would deliver a higher voltage. Note that Wye provides two voltages: 208V between phases, and 120V between a phase and the neutral. Useful for a large installation, I would imagine. Delta only* provides 230V between phase-to-phase.

*I am not an electrician, I am an EE, but the stories I've heard about some guy picking the "wrong" leg from a delta to get some 115V scare the poo poo out of me, so I'd leave it to an expert to say something about getting phase-to-ground/neutral voltages out of Delta.

squeakgeek: Wye vs Delta referring to the circuit topology of each and their resemblance to the Greek letter delta and the letter Y, respectively.

References
[1]
[2]

movax fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 13, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grover posted:

I think you're confusing delta with center-tap delta, which is a special case and not all that common. Delta and Wye are a lot simpler than that:

Delta and wye are both 3-phase it's just "hot" phase conductors, with line voltage measured phase-to-phase. Wye is when the load is placed between the phase conductors and neutral.

Whoops, yeah that's it, thanks grover. :downs:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's a good nuclear engineering textbook you guys used in school? Wikipedia's nice, but I'd like a book I can read to improve my knowledge of the reactor types and keep them straight in my head.

• Locked thread