Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

movax posted:

What's a good nuclear engineering textbook you guys used in school? Wikipedia's nice, but I'd like a book I can read to improve my knowledge of the reactor types and keep them straight in my head.

Like the other guy said, there aren't any good NukeE textbooks. That said, if you're just looking for a basic introduction to reactor technology, http://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-Engineering-Handbook-Mechanical-Aerospace/dp/1420053906/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317083893&sr=8-5 isn't terrible, as long as you're already fluent in engineer-ese. It's got a decent overview of the major western-world reactors, some history of reactor and auxiliary systems design, and a little bit of reactor physics at the end. My degree is in chemistry, so it was one of the many books I read after coming to work in nuclear land to figure out how things actually work.

Ossetepo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

rainwulf posted:

A question to ask of the Op, or relevant members, what are the typical specs of station batteries?

Size and whatnot? Like all things industrial, im assuming they are massively supersized versions of the battery in your car, but im just curious as to HOW supersized they are!

By station batteries, do you mean backup DC power source batteries at a generating station or substation, or load leveling batteries? I can talk at some length about the first, but know fairly little about the latter.

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

rainwulf posted:

any/both?
backup dc power source at a station, is that backup for the station itself? or backup for generation capacity? are there batteries even that big?

Backup batteries at a generating station or substation are for providing DC power (or AC, via an inverter) to systems that need it in the event of a loss of their normal power source. For example, when the turbine-generator at a nuclear generating station is tripped, it can no longer provide power to the station. The normal 1st backup is the offsite power feed. If offsite power is lost, the 2nd backup(s) are the emergency diesel generators. If one or more EDGs are lost, DC battery banks are designed to provide power to those loads necessary for the safe shutdown of the reactor. I can post more later about the batteries we use for backup if you're interested - they're not really all that exciting, just large series arrays of midsized lead or Ni-Cad cells.

Load leveling, or grid storage, batteries are large battery arrays connected to the transmission grid and used to absorb transients in energy demand - if load drops off the grid, such as when an area is blacked out, that energy charges the batteries. If load suddenly increases, such as when large industrial equipment is placed in service, the batteries are depleted. Chemical batteries are not really the preferred way to do this - compared to other energy storage mechanisms, they're expensive and failure prone. I don't really know enough about the battery technology that is used to say much about it.

While it would be technically possible to locate a load leveling battery at a generating station, and thus provide backup for that stations generating capacity, that is not normally done. It's more economical and failure-resistant to use an off-site load leveling mechanism to support the grid while bringing online more generation capacity at other plants. The exception to that is for more intermittent generation methods, like solar or wind, some locations do have local energy storage to fill in when it gets cloudy or the wind dies, which gives the grid operators more time to bring the peakers online to hold up the grid.

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

helno posted:

Our station batteries look similar to this just in slightly different racks and in seismicly qualified rooms.

Each Reactor has 3 station batteries to back up the uninteruptible station loads (shutdown systems, emergency lighting, back up oil pumps). Two banks are quite large and the third is smaller because it only has to back up shutdown system loads.

They only have to last long enough to get class 3 power back online which is supplied by gas turbines and should start up within minutes, but they are sized to last considerably longer than that.

You work at a CANDU, right? I didn't know you guys had gas turbines as backup power. I imagine that's a lot easier to deal with than the care and feeding of thirty-year old marine diesel engines. I really need to convince my employer to send me on a benchmarking trip up there just to poke around. We had some radiation protection guys from Bruce down here with WANO last year and actually got some useful information out of it.

Those wet cell banks also look pretty similar to our 250VDC non-ESF batteries, but I guess there are only so many ways to design a big rack of cells. The 125VDC ESF batteries are in a different type of racking system, but it's really still just a big rack of cells. At a two unit, four-loop Westinghouse PWR like mine, each unit has one 250VDC battery bank for supplying loads not needed for the safe shutdown of that unit, and two 125VDC battery banks, each independently capable of supporting the safe shutdown of the unit in the event of loss of offsite power. Plants that have diesel-driven auxiliary feedwater pumps also have two sets per unit of 24VDC batteries for starting those, and the plant shares in common two more 125VDC battery banks for security and switchyard loads.

And yeah, the battery surveillances are a tremendous pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

Ossetepo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

Gisnep posted:

How does that work? Do they start and run on DC power until the diesels have time to tie on?

My plant is a Westinghouse four-loop as well, but our motor-driven aux feedwater pumps only use batteries for 125VDC control power.

Whoops - I see the source of the confusion. I wrote motor-driven when when what I meant was diesel-driven. I'm pretty sure all of the Westinghouse designs have motor driven aux feed pumps; it's in whether the second pump is diesel-driven or turbine-driven that the designs differ. Of course, for a diesel driven aux feed pump, the 24V batteries just run the diesel starter.

That's a pretty embarrassing mistake to make, considering the chemistry of the jacket water for the diesel engine in the diesel AFW PP was until recently my direct responsibility. I'm going to edit my original post so I don't look like too big of an idiot.

• Locked thread