Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

Wow, I had no clue that they made CF cards that were that fast.

They’re still common in professional camera, where high write speed matters.

CF cards are slowly on their way out. It’s a petty reason, but I’m going to miss them because I like their size. They’re easier to handle than SD cards, but they’re still small enough that they take up an negligible amount of space compared to the equipment with which I use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Kilowatt‐hours in general are kind of dumb when joules exist, but at least I’ve never seen someone misuse the “kilo‐watt” like that before.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Two Finger posted:

You need to tell me more about this amazing unit NOW.

In ye olden days, if you wanted something cooled significantly below room temperature, your only option was ice.

For millennia, only kings could afford to have ice hauled from distant locales to chill their beverages, but in the nineteenth century harvesting, storing, and delivering ice year‐round became a major industry.

If you wanted your building cooled (generally because it was a warehouse storing perishable food), you could contract with the ice company to deliver x tons of ice to you every day. You just let the blocks of ice sit around and melt, cooling your stuff in the process.

That’s where ton comes from in refrigeration context: it’s the amount of cooling provided by one short ton of ice, delivered daily. When mechanical refrigeration came along and you decided to modernise your warehouse, you replaced daily deliveries of x tons of ice with an x‐ton refrigeration unit.

This makes it a unit of power. I have a 0.024‐ton computer.

If you think about it, it’s no weirder than bomb megatons. Only a few hundred tons of TNT have ever been gathered in the same place and detonated, but that doesn’t stop us from extrapolating to rate atomic bombs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 28, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Note to self: don’t pull too hard. :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is a very thorough answer to the question.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 17, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wikipedia’s article on “Amtrak's 25 Hz traction power system” is extensive, if you’re interested.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DaveSauce posted:

The other question is, is NO-OX-ID actually conductive? The meter says no, but I don't know if that's really a valid test.

Wire it to a bench supply at a reasonable voltage and meter off that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has always bothered me that my car has a GPS receiver that knows the time to the nanosecond, yet is unable to share this information with the clock the car shows me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kastein posted:

Setting a clock from the GPS second-of-week is trivial - if you know what timezone you're in and in some cases, whether your county observes DST. Setting the date from GPS is somewhat less trivial.

There’s a service menu I can pull up on the navigation system that shows the correct time in human‐readable format. I think in UTC, but it’s been a while since I pulled it up so perhaps not. So the navigation system’s programmers already took care of that.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is the frequency of the grid still adjusted at night to ensure a correct daily average for clocks that use the 60 Hz (or 50 Hz) signal as a reference? Timekeeping seems pretty related to industrial electricity.

Not at night, but yes, at least for most grids. The Western Interconnection did a study a few year ago about “how much poo poo will break if we stop making time corrections?”. They’re back to correcting, but only when grid time drifts ±30 seconds from true time (used to be ±2 seconds).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delivery McGee posted:

Do enough people still use those clocks to make it worth the effort? What else is there that's dependent on the line frequency? (In the US, specifically -- I wouldn't be surprised if PAL gaming consoles/TVs still base the system clock on the line freq, because :lol::britain: )

The problem isn’t the old punch clocks you know about; it’s all the old equipment tucked away somewhere that you don’t.

Equipment was designed with the expectation that the power grid would keep them within thirty seconds of GMT forever. That wasn’t an unreasonable assumption at the time. Before TCP/IP, before GPS, before cheap, accurate quartz timers, the powergrid was by far the best option for timekeeping.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Once I held a lights witch in the middle neither on or off while watching a TV

Don’t do this. Switches like that are specially designed to minimise arcing. By intentionally making them arc, you are drastically shortening the switch’s lifespan, and potentially creating a fire hazard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those are some aggressively dead dudes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I feel like this is as good as a place as any to ask:

Scenario: my girlfriend and I are laying down in bed with both of us holding our phones that are plugged in to the wall. Whenever I touch her skin with my fingertips only I feel a buzzing sensation and it feels "rough" and hard to drag the finger across. This doesn't happen if one of us isn't holding our phone, if I'm holding my hand still, or if I press hard enough. And I feeling the hertz from the electricity, should I contact the rental company to look at the outlets?

It’s harmless phenomenon that’s a consequence of the design of the power supplies. Your mains wiring has nothing to do with it.

If you’re using name‐brand chargers, you have nothing to worry about. If you really want the effect to go away, using grounded (three‐prong) chargers ought to eliminate it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRaU9zMVyU&t=1353s

There’s this one. Not as exciting as you imply, perhaps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM&t=325s

Explosion @ 6:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think it’s grease.

• Locked thread