Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I just graduated with an EE degree with a specialty in power systems this May, and I've been hoping to break into the energy industry. I received an offer with Schneider Electric as a Junior Engineer which would have put me on that path, but I had to turn them down because of issues with my living situation (renewed my lease the day before I got the offer, still hate myself for that one).

I currently work at a government contractor that specializes in electromagnetic sensor testing and analysis. While it's pretty interesting stuff, I still want to switch over to power systems. Will my work with sensors have any relevant applications for when I apply for those jobs, or am I kind of starting from square one with my time-eroded degree specialty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Power lines do not cause cancer. Cell phone towers do not cause cancer. Wifi does not cause cancer. Same goes with headaches, nausea, Alzheimers, etc etc. Electrosensitivity is complete pseudoscience and anybody who is trying to convince you that your electricity is invisibly harming you is trying to sell you something.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

So, I'm sure everyone and anyone associated with the energy industry is chattering about the Powerwall batteries that Tesla just unveiled. I think everyone saw it coming, but I'm kind of shocked at the low price point. My question is, are they actually viable as an alternative to traditional, central-source power systems? As someone who just started an MS in power engineering, I find the prospect of one of those in every home (and especially implementation in emerging markets) to be a definite threat to my job security in the long term...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Just rediscovered this thread after like 3 years of not looking at it. The PE exam is in 2 days. Studying for it made it so I can actually understand most of this thread now. :cheers:

• Locked thread