Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Some Guy From NY posted:

Hope Three-Phase doesn't mind me jumping in...I am a substation operator and I have what everyone loves to see...PICTURES!

Here is a 345KV circuit breaker built in the 1960s, and later modified. The Contacts are in the football looking section at the top. The 2 columns on either side which lead to those round tanks contain Current Transformers which monitor, you guessed it, current. It is a SF6 filled breaker, something Three-Phase touched upon earlier. The SF6 gas is the insulating medium.

Compare that breaker to a modern 345KV breaker:

This is the Hitachi HVB. Much more compact and less complicated.

What parts of these would be safe to bump into? I've always viewed substations as death mazes where bumping into absolutely anything will kill you instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

The last two explinations made a ton of sense, thanks guys.

Dumb question time again: Can someone please explain the difference between a switch, and a load-interupting switch?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

This thread has really driven home how little I know about electricity.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

grover posted:

That SquareD switch is fine, so long as it's in good condition. It was an exposed knife switch that killed poor Jones.

I can't imagine surviving very long in a place like that. Familiarity breeds complacency and all that. I'd go for one of the upper switches and... *zap* Brushed my hand on one of the lower ones.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

There's also water mist sprinklers.

quote:

With no water mist protection, temperatures ranged in the 600-1000zC range. Fire spread was rapid vertically, then horizontal spread was eventually accomplished at peak temperature, with flames extended up to four meters above the module, and smoke reaching 100% in the test room in 20 minutes. Damage to the switchgear was considerable.

Tests involving water mist protection reduced maximum temperatures to the 350-500zC range, and smoke obstruction was reduced after system actuation, with nozzles under high pressure providing effective results. Nozzles in the switchgear modules were significantly more effective than nozzles mounted at the ceiling. It was noticed that the water mist was able to negotiate some obstructions within the switchgear, depending upon placement of the nozzle. Extinguishment was accomplished within two seconds, using less than one liter of water. The water mist proved to be less conductive than smoke encountered in the unsuppressed tests, and did not damage any electrical equipment within the switchgear module.

The tests were encouraging enough to prompt further testing on other types of electrical equipment, with the intent of providing a water mist system that could be standardized among varying types of electronic equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Excuse me sir, but I believe there may be a short.

• Locked thread