Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jows
May 8, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

ELECTRIC ARC FURNACE - Turn your speakers DOWN. You need to phone the power company before you start one of these. I'm not joking.

I hope by "start one" you mean commissioning. Sure, any mill running an EAF will be working with the local power company to make sure that they'll have enough juice while the thing is being built, but the operators don't call them up every time they start a heat.

Even these guys in the middle of a heavily residential Chicago neighborhood don't call up ComEd every time they start melting for the day, although ComEd will tell them to shut down for the afternoon on hot days (bonus: also the first Cubs night game in 1988).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

That sounds similar to US large customers, but the stuff I'm more familiar with is a lot larger than 100kW+, more like 10MW-250MW range. But yeah, there's complicated billing based on peak watts/VARs (I think it's in a sliding 15-minute range) along with total consumption and making sure you don't lag more than, say, 0.95 power factor at any time unless you want to be fined extra.

I've seen some really hot days when major loads cannot be operated, the power company phones up and basically says "we really can't sell you power to do this today, it's 100F out there and we're getting clobbered by the air conditioner loads."

I don't know a whole lot about the billing situation at the mill I worked at. I was an engineer there and didn't get into the business side of anything during my time there.

But based on what some other posters have said, I think it far more likely that the guy in charge of energy purchasing would be more apt to call up the power company and tell them if they weren't going to be melting for a night vs. when they were.

For some more information, the mill I worked at is the last one in Chicago proper, right smack in the middle of the city. They're the 2nd largest consumer of electricity in the city second only to the Sears Tower. They have two EAFs--one with a 12 MVA transformer and one with an 18 MVA transformer. In exchange for a much better rate on electricity, ComEd wouldn't let them melt during the day due to power availability and on hot days could tell them to delay melting or shut down entirely for the day.

More about the Cubs night game thing: Considering the plant is only ~2 miles from Wrigley Field, they were also told to shut down for the night of the first night game at Wrigley because they weren't sure if there was enough juice available to power both the EAFs and the new lights.

• Locked thread