Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Three-Phase posted:

What about for power purchace/billing? I thought that was handled on a day-by-day basis at the largest plants. (Maybe that's more plant-wide than just a single furnace.)

I used to work for a company that supplies electricity to a number of steel mills in the UK. The supplier's demand forecasting team receives updates of what the plant is planning on doing on a daily basis. This then gets aggregated up into our net forecast of demand, and fired across to our within-day electricity traders, to balance the positions. I've spent the past two years trading electricity, and scheduling power stations based on our trading. I now get to deal with the demand forecasters wandering over on the most expensive day of the year, and saying "This customer is doing another melt at about 5pm, so you'll lose 30 MW over the peak of the day."

Metering is done in the UK based on 30 minute settlement periods for sites over 100kW. These readings are collected on a daily basis, which effectively means that we get 17520 meter readings per site, per day. Multiply by the appropriate tariff that the customer has signed on to, and bill them. All of Europe meters on a 15 to 60 minute settlement period length. I'd be surprised if the US didn't do something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

I think my favourite reason for a power station trip prior to this was "jellyfish ingress". Apparently, if you let them clog your cooling water intake, this leads to pain and suffering.

• Locked thread