Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Nerobro posted:

Before I go into this to far, I have never seen a motor cooled by imersion in a fluid. H2 cooling seems perfectly sane, as does air. As does running cooling fluids through the stator. I have heard of rotors having slip rings and cooling water too.

Believe it or not, some gasoline pumps in cars are cooled by the actual fuel flowing through them.

Awesome thread by the way, thinking of questions to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
A question to ask of the Op, or relevant members, what are the typical specs of station batteries?

Size and whatnot? Like all things industrial, im assuming they are massively supersized versions of the battery in your car, but im just curious as to HOW supersized they are!

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
The last fuel pump i pulled apart was the EFI pump for a honda, and it was a strange kind of turbine pump that used two wheels with small vanes on the outside.
It wasnt positive displacement, which was even weirder.

This is the closest i have come to finding the exact type of construction.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6799941.html

here is a better image and basically the same as the one i pulled apart.
http://www.tradekorea.com/product-detail/P00019222/Fuel_Pump.html

Anyway, back to electricity!!!

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 30, 2011

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Ossetepo posted:

By station batteries, do you mean backup DC power source batteries at a generating station or substation, or load leveling batteries? I can talk at some length about the first, but know fairly little about the latter.

any/both?
backup dc power source at a station, is that backup for the station itself? or backup for generation capacity? are there batteries even that big?

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
This thread is loving awesome. I am reading each post like drinking a fine scotch, slowly and savouring each word.

I have something bordering on a mental illness when it concerns anything big, loud and concerning stuff that can go bang/boom/crack.

The largest thing i have ever had the chance to work with was a lowly 2RU powerware 3kva UPS using 12volt 9AH cells.

I have only recently found out what the little bell shaped things are that are mounted close to the insulators in HV transmission lines, they are designed to stop wind caused harmonics from breaking insulator strings.

Question again for anyone: does anyone know/work with the high current low voltage DC stuff used in aluminium refineries? I have heard of stories revolving around the current being so high that its magnetic fields can actually bend stuff, but i would like to hear from an expert.
Also what kind of rectifiers do they use for that? Or is it some other form of low voltage high current generation systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
MORE

Feed me more industrial electricity! Anecdotes! Trivia!

Question:
Hv DC to ac, using huge rear end thyristors.

from electronics theory, thyristors when triggered stay trigged until the current through them is brought down to a tiny figure before they drop.

How are thyristors used in a DC circuit to turn the dc back into AC? Once triggered, dont they stay triggered? Or is it some funky use of inductors to do things to drop the current in them to zero or something to let them drop out.

I have always been curious about that.

• Locked thread