Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

TerryLennox posted:

I am aware we are running two ACs at night (non-inverters) but what worries me is the climb in our bill. We have 3 PCs running intermittently (they go to sleep mode when we are not using them) but most of the day, there is no one home to use that much power. Recently my brother has come to live with us and as a pilot, his work schedule is kind of irregular and he is a heavy sleeper so my AC is probably being used 12 hours a day. Is that the only cause of the power increase? Is there a way to calculate our power usage?

A smallish portable AC unit (maybe 1 ton or less) is using 5-10x as much electricity while operating as a computer. AC is by far the biggest user of power in homes that have it, and the moderate increase in usage is where the extra is coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Speaking of arc furnaces:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXzNMoea5E&feature=related

.. and yes, they do have to call the power company when they turn these things on. They are such a large load that they can potentially gently caress with generation and transmission capacities.

The same is true of very, very large motors. They can only start them at certain times of day because the inrush is so high. They need to coordinate the start up with the loading of the surrounding transmission grid.

I spent a few months working in the same campus as one of north america's larger high power test labs. Supposedly they were capable of putting up to 10% of British Columbia's power output through the DUT, although they generally didn't since as I recall they didn't have a generator-motor style isolation setup and so maxing it out could cause blips as far as california.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Doesn't hydrogen gas have a tendency to be absorbed into metals and make them brittle? Or is that only at very high pressures?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

347 lighting? You in Canada?

All of the big buildings here seen to have 347V lighting, is this only a thing in canada?

• Locked thread