Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KelJu
Jul 18, 2004
IT WAS A MISCLICK
Awesome thread! I have always loved industrial scale electricity since I was a kid. My dad was an instrumentation tech at a coal power plant, and he would take me though the plant looking at things. When I got older, I eventually worked there for contractors during shutdowns as a way to make really good money. It was convenient to quit school for about two semesters to every other year or so to stock-pile cash.

I had no formal training, so I had to learn drat quick. My brother is a journeyman electrician so he tried to make sure I didn't end up a greasy spot on the floor from messing around with the switchgear. I was in the next room once when we heard something like a bomb going off. He felt like an earthquake. When we investigated the power distribution room, we found that one of the 480 breakers shorted out. Well, that is what we assumed since we never actually found it. The drat thing vaporized. It's things like that which make me respect electricity.

Another interesting anecdote was the day some goob in the control room engaged the turbine before it had spun up to the correct RPMs to match the load on the lines. The jolt went down the lines and shook every power plant in the state drat near. Plants over a 100 miles away felt it.

I would love to hear other people's stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread