Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Goddamn Siemens relays and their DIGSI configuration software are the absolute loving worst. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I'm mostly speaking from a tester's perspective. SELs are king, Multilins are annoying but ultimately not all too bad, SEPAMs are clunky pieces of junk, and Siemens are a loving nightmare. I've somehow never had to test a multiprocessor Beckwith or Basler yet, but afaik they're not too terrible.

It took me two and a half days to test 12 Siemens relays that are only using 50/51 and 27, which would've taken me maybe half a day at most if it weren't for DIGSI being a byzantine piece of poo poo.

And yeah, Multilins seem to have way more failures than any other relay type. There was a quiet to-do a couple years ago when it turned out that some of their feeder protection relays reset themselves to default settings if they saw a particular kind of fault.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 2, 2016

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Three-Phase posted:

Now that's a pretty top-shelf failure. Wow. Are there any details on that problem and fixes for that problem? I need to make sure the guys at work know that is a thing.

One of the things we're starting to look at with out SELs is utilizing the IRIG-B GPS inputs to give us extremely accurate times stamps for events.
iirc they were the 750 feeder management relays, and it was only a certain production run that was affected. Basically what ended up happening is they contacted any customers with relays from that production run and replaced them with new, non-defective relays. If you didn't hear from GE then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

And yeah, been seeing a lot more implementation of IRIG lately, even outside of line protection relays where time sync is an absolute necessity.

freezepops posted:

Have you stumbled across any ERL Phase relays (they make the Tesla fault recorders)? I don't see them to often and have generally liked their settings interface and would be curious to know if they are easy enough to test.

Never heard of them, actually.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Kinda confused why you didn't just use crimp lugs on the low side cables and save yourself a bunch of hardware.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Loopoo posted:

Is this the right place to ask for help regarding Electrician stuff? Ie I'm looking to wire something up (a Nest Thermostat) in my apartment, and it'd be great if someone with electrical experience could help me in that regard.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Depends on where you're using it:

http://content.fluke.com/promotions/promo-dmm/0518-dmm-campaign/dmm/fluke_dmm-chfr/files/safetyguidelines.pdf

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'm really curious why you have to buy your own meter. The 87V is standard issue at my office.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
nope

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
you may have accidentally slipped into the Schroedinger dimension, i recommend consulting your local physicist

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Looks to me like the contractor ran short on the larger conductor and spliced on several smaller conductors to finish the run.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Pander posted:

No corroding at the terminals.

Uhhhh looks like there's a fuckton of it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Either way if you're not doing a PM on those at least once a year then you're loving up.

It's incredible how many places we go to where the customer's batteries may as well be paper weights.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean I guess yeah that could be grease, although if it is then whoever put it on went waaaaaaaay overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Oh poo poo really? lmao, I don't know if it's a code violation but the only places I've not seen batteries in a separate room are oil & gas PDCs.

• Locked thread