Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

(I'm not sure of the difference between using GPS and, say, using an atomic clock signal.)

GPS is a pretty convenient atomic clock signal I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I know people have clocks and watches that use a central atomic clock signal, but doesn't that just fire a "reset" signal once a day at a very specific time?

Yeah it does something like that.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

The Proc posted:

230 delta vs 208 wye: What are the pros and cons of each and how do you decide which is better for a particular installation?

Also, what is the difference? I've heard of it but never got a good explanation.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
Sweet, thanks movax.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
Where is this hydrogen coming from?

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Obviously brushed motors are worse since they produce sparks all the time, but in a high power induction motor I can't imagine how they suppress ignition reliably.

By keeping oxygen out.

quote:

edit: also I know that hydrogen has great specific heat, but specific heat is joules per mass, not per volume. Is it really better than water then, when you consider that water is much denser even at high pressures?

Apparently the viscosity of water can be a problem around moving parts.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Nerobro posted:

And it's conductivity....

When conductivity is the problem I think they use mineral oil.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

McJuicy posted:

I get that conductors have expanding and collapsing magnetic fields but I don't truly understand how a hot and a neutral can "cancel each other out" magnetically as to not heat up a conduit and not being able to hook an ammeter around both conductors. Can you explain this concept?

Another way of explaining this is that the flux is the total current crossing through a surface. In this case the surface is the cross section of the conduit or the loop of the ammeter. Your hot and neutral are carrying equal currents through this surface in opposite directions so they cancel out.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

My power was out from abuot 1:45-2:15 cst yesterday.

First summer, non-storm-related outage in my neighborhood of more than a minute or two in the 9 years I've lived here. Not sure what the reason was.

The answer may lie in the last five posts in this very thread.

Rolling blackouts.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

One of my co-workers said awhile back when there were really bad storms, he saw a convoy of a dozen utility trucks heading down the highway to the affected areas.

That's nothing--I was in Carbondale, IL for this storm and they literally filled the dorms and the mall with linemen. There were 1,000 of them or something crazy like that, and they took a week to restore power. It was a sight to see, big parking lots full of the utility trucks--and orchard trucks that they used as utility trucks.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
In surgical operating rooms I see "isolation panels" that read out "hazard current" up to 10ma, and most of the outlets throughout the room are connected to it. What is this?

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
That reminded me of this video of a crane dropping an MRI machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABkjwRQ1ByI

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Frozen Horse posted:

The magnet itself consumes only cryogens once it's powered up.

Doesn't it stay powered up all the time?

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

What is a semiconducting strand screen?

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

grover posted:

I bolded the important bit. I think the problem is that caution tape applies to other people, laymen, not trained professionals who often set up their own caution tape. I widely ignore the tape, too.

Part of the problem is that we don't have clear distinctions between "hey, we're busy here, public keep out" and "DO NOT loving CROSS THIS LINE OR YOU WILL DIE" kinds of tape.

Use red danger tape for the latter? http://safetywiki.pppl.wikispaces.net/Barricade+Tape

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
I just toured a supercomputer and got to see the power and cooling stuff too. The capacity of the building is 24 megawatts. Crazy stuff.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

grover posted:

My favorite, though, are superconducting electromagnetic energy storage. Literally a coil of superconducting wire sitting in a tank of cryogenic helium that can dump out a SHITLOAD of power in a fraction of a second.

This is a really interesting idea--haven't heard of it before. I work in a research MRI lab and was just thinking about how much energy might be stored. Do you have any interesting references off hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

A couple of years ago, I was living in university housing. There was a decent storm, and I noticed that there was a lot of arcing at a nearby power pole at the disconnects (basically about 100 ft from my car :ohdear: and juuuust off of university property), along with my own lights flickering pretty badly (went off a couple of times, then came back on).

Tried calling the local power company; their automated system wouldn't let me report an issue without an account number or registered phone #, and mashing 0 just got a "invalid selection" followed by being hung up on every time I tried (every other option just got a "invalid account number" or "I don't recognize your phone number", also followed by being disconnected). I guess their system actually logs that kind of stuff; someone called me back a few minutes later and said they'd noticed I'd tried to report an issue, but that my phone # wasn't registered to an active account. Explained the issue, they had someone out there within 10 minutes. Still no idea what was causing it, but they did open a disconnect on the line. I'm glad their automated system was smart enough to recognize "hey, someone's trying to report something, but they can't register an issue because they don't have an account with us, maybe we should call them back?".

If only there were a three-digit number you could call to report any type of emergency...

angryrobots posted:

but I think the conductor for the circuit around the eaves of the home (Romex I'm assuming) would not fail that spectacularly unless exposed to much higher than 600v.

Was there necessarily a circuit there? Or could it have been gutters or metal paneling or something?

• Locked thread