Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

squeakygeek posted:

By keeping oxygen out.

Apparently the viscosity of water can be a problem around moving parts.

And it's conductivity....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Before I go into this to far, I have never seen a motor cooled by imersion in a fluid. H2 cooling seems perfectly sane, as does air. As does running cooling fluids through the stator. I have heard of rotors having slip rings and cooling water too.

squeakygeek posted:

When conductivity is the problem I think they use mineral oil.

Which looses the benefits of waters high specific heat.

helno posted:

Pureified water is a very poor conductor.

Most generators have the stator cooled directly by water. By directly I mean they pump it through channels cut into the copper buss bars which are running around 24kv.

Water inside a motor casing, interacting with commutators, brushes, and windings, isn't going to stay pure long. And "poor" at 3kv is still "holyshitlotsofpower."

Running cooling water through the stator seems perfectly sane to me. You're not depending on the water being an insulator, so go for it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Frozen Horse posted:

Look on the bright side, it's not a graphite-moderated reactor. My pet favourite nuclear reactor design (not yet implemented AFAIK), remains the sub-critical accelerator-driven energy amplifier.

Chernobyl. That design was (is... as it's still running in some places in the eastern bloc...) at least partially moderated by graphite.

CP1 was graphite moderated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pile-1 So were most of the air cooled reactors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-10_Graphite_Reactor

Graphite as a moderator is scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

rainwulf posted:

Believe it or not, some gasoline pumps in cars are cooled by the actual fuel flowing through them.

They are, they are also typically reciprocating pumps, so the same action that actually pumps the fuel is not wasted on "moving the armature" through the fluid. It's a clever set of design choices!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

that's utter nonsense. That's like using trying to break down an electroplated coin to extract the energy. .... people need to take more chemistry courses.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

grover posted:

There may be some way to recapture some of the thermal energy from the smelting process, but nowhere near what was consumed in the first place.

Yes, scrape aluminum into a powder, combine with iorn oxide and expose to high heat.

Use energy released to produce power.

But that's not exactly easy to do.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I would expect there is. A combination of good thermal barriers and say... letting the cooling piles generate steam ;-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Those orange mats are there as insulation. It stops linesman from being the jumper between circuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The Proc posted:

Yep! Better question: How the gently caress is that guy alive?

He does commercial power installs for a living. Working with high power electrical systems is literally what he does.

He flipped out and deleted his old videos because people didn't understand that he IS THE EXPERT and knows what he's doing. He even understands where what he's doing will cause things like say.. spontaneous x-ray generation and the like.

Most of what he does involves very, very high currents, more than very, very high voltages. Which mitigates the risk somewhat. Unless you're going out of your way to provide low resistance paths to either side of your heart, you're not going to have a heart stopping experience around a couple volts. Big sparks, lots of fun magnetics, hot things, sure. But nothing worse than working around an engine.

VVVV_____ Ooops

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2012

• Locked thread