Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Popular Human posted:

You've also got to realize that at the time Severian is writing BotNS, (minor spoiler) he's more-or-less the God-Emperor of Urth, writing an account of his ascent to glory. Of COURSE he's going to embellish his sexual conquests. There's also the idea that being a Torturer and all, some of his relations may be somewhat coerced, or at least not as consensual as he'd have us believe. I've always suspected this strongly with (3rd book spoiler) the official's wife in Thrax who he seduces and then helps escape the city, particularly after the reveal that Sev was supposed to execute her.

How about how he actually rapes Jocasta while on the boat after becoming serious with Dorcas? They go on a lovely boat ride and he decides to help himself to her, not even bothering to hide it, so Dorcas starts weeping as soon as she sees them. In Urth he even says "Some people might call it rape, but I maintain she wanted it"

Yeah, Severian was/is a piece of poo poo to the women in his life and gets karmic retribution when tracking down Dorcas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Xenix posted:

I haven't read them all (though someone I met through work recently gave me Castleview when I commented on the Wolfe books on her shelves...), but I really enjoyed Pirate Freedom.

While his intent surely makes him a piece of poo poo, it surprises me that this encounter, of all of them in the series, is the one that bothers you. I don't have the books to look back to make sure it happened like this, but I seem to remember that Jolenta was the one who orchestrated the boat trip between the two of them. During the trip, she just lay there half asleep while Severian went about his business. Afterward, Severian was frustrated over how the encounter went exactly because she didn't fight him. I had the impression that Jolenta wanted sex, though possibly only to make Dorcas jealous. After this, Dorcas and Jolenta have a physical altercation. Am I misremembering this?

It was the most notable incident only because I read Urth of the New Sun which referenced it.

Other then the mention where he says an outsider might call it rape, all of his other sexual encounters are equally sketchy. Nothing else springs to mind other then the general sense that all Severian's sexual encounters were...complicated at best.