Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So I just finished the Book of the New Sun, and I am both really impressed and really confused, which I imagine is a pretty common reaction. There are just so many things about Urth that I want to know more about, but the mystery is the source of my interest! I'm just going to throw some thoughts out here, if only to get them in some kind of order for myself:
I have to say, the alzabo sequence in Lictor was probably the most tense part of the series for me. The whole thing was just really well-done, especially Severian's thoughts about how the will of the dead and the will of the alzabo interacted. "Father, can't you help me?" and I instantly knew Severa and Becan were dead. I also felt really bad for little Severian when the ring zapped him.

Valeria has like, a page and a half detailing her, but Severian keeps coming back to her. What is it about her that sets her apart? When he returns to the Atrium of time, he talks about the ancient titles that the disembodied voices speak that must mean himself. The ship's announcements? Does the ship know him qua-Severian, or qua-Autarch?

Jonas is the best, but I'm wondering what caused him to start going "sane" in the antechamber. Plus how long was he in space, where he knew what Athens was and could remember Kimleesoong, but when his ship returned it could only crash on Urth? Secondly, how could Jonas be Miles? Jonas was a robot, but had become a reverse-cyborg.

Are all cacogens/Hierodules non-humans? Is Father Inire an alien, or an extra-solar human?

Well, I suppose it's time to buy Urth of the New Sun now and read it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU