Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Arujei posted:

So I just finished the Book of the New Sun, and I am both really impressed and really confused, which I imagine is a pretty common reaction. There are just so many things about Urth that I want to know more about, but the mystery is the source of my interest! I'm just going to throw some thoughts out here, if only to get them in some kind of order for myself:
Are all cacogens/Hierodules non-humans? Is Father Inire an alien, or an extra-solar human?

Well, I suppose it's time to buy Urth of the New Sun now and read it!

Regarding the cacogens and Inire: I think that 'cacogen' was a blanket term for all aliens, as Severian mentions at one point, "for several of the stories in the brown book I carried seemed to imply that colonies once existed here of those beings whom we call the cacogens, though they are in fact of myriad races, each as distinct as our own."
As for Father Inire, I think there was something saying that he was like the Cumaean at the end of Claw, an alien that's taken on human form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Mousepractice posted:

Concerning Jonas: On a purely mechanical (heh) level, my guess is that being hit with the electric weapon at the door of the antechamber sparked some dormant circuit in Jonas' robot brain, which messed him up / made him realise he'd just been loving about wasting time on Urth and flee through the mirror. Furthermore, he doesn't necessarily remember Athens and the Korean names because he's been in space since the days of our Earth, but because his superior computer memory banks contain all of Urth's history and his being messed up causes it to come back in fragments, prompted by Severian's historical story.

Jonas' history: He says that there were no space ports when his ship returns to Earth, with the obvious implication that there had been before he left. I'm not sure how long spaceflight in New Sun takes, but it seems likely that whatever cataclysm that started humanity regressing as they did happen whilst he was away. Weren't there numerous hints that someone planted a black hole in the Sun, starting its slow death?