Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Personally I only like the 80s stuff, which is botns and soldiers of mist and arete: I think his style changes markedly after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

andrew smash posted:

if you're limiting it to that decade, Free Live Free and There are Doors were both published in the 80s.

It's more of an observation, I haven't liked long sun, wizard knight or soldier of sidon but I should try short sun and those two.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here is the winner of the Gene Wolfe Memorial Thunderdome. If you're interested in the others I liked Djesers and Crabrocks.

Thranguy posted:

The Price of a Blade

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 29, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a symbolic execution, he didn't actually kill anyone.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Autarch means self ruler, take from that what you will.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Italo calvino, invisible cities.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sekenr posted:

I like Wolfe which doesn't mean that every word he wrote is great. The further the series goes, the worse in my view hes prose becomes, like he is paid by the word. Happenings are unnecessarily encrypted like it became a habit rather than adding aesthetical or plain enjoyment value, dialogues unnecessarily wordy and coy.

To quote one of the characters "I think we should be open and honest for a change." Very needed reply which happens exactly once in 3 books full of quite burdensome exchange of words, everyone agrees to just speak their mind which leads to only 5 more pages of dialogue on my kindle.

I love everything he wrote up to a point (~1989) and dislike everything after that, it's extremely binary.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 24, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hethor is v cspam

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gene wolfe is basically novelist Ron swanson

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Osmosisch posted:

Gene Wolfe: these books are basically the Dark Souls of reading

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Totally Huge posted:

I've read through BOTNS twice and Urth once (after the re-read). My first time was around 2010 or so and while I went in blind and missed a ton I loved every sentence. My second read through was probably 5 years ago. In between I read a lot about the books here and other places. I've never read any other Gene Wolfe. My problem is that when I start thinking about him it just makes me want to re-read BOTNS again because it's so good.

So if I want to read more Wolfe what should it be? I've been thinking about The Wizard Knight. Or should I just keep reading the same series every 5-7 years over and over and over?

personally i have a hard line where I love everything before it and everything after it leaves me cold, and it's roughly soldier of arete (1990). He just seems to spend of lot of his later books with characters explaining the plot to each other.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Forlesen.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Past, idk, soldier of arete I don't find Wolfe particularly readable

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mellonbread posted:

I haven't read the third Latro book because I'm afraid it's going to be bad and retroactively color my opinion of the first two, which I really enjoyed.

If you like later Wolfe books you will probably be fine, I don't and wasn't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My local library branch had The Wizard Knight on the shelf so I picked up. I'm like 90 pages into The Knight and its not bad but feels pretty basic so far, cool Norse aesthetics notwithstanding. Just checking if there's a significant change or revelation coming up or if this style just isn't for me.

I found it unreadable but I am not a fan of most of his later stuff because it seems to turn into people just trying to explain the plot to each other.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm also going to recommend the Gideon books to this thread, they have a lot of the same qualities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Old Swerdlow posted:

I think I am going to call it quits reading through Book of the Short Sun. I’m about halfway through “On Blue’s Waters” and just finished reading Horn raping Seawrack and I just can’t deal with this novel anymore.

I hate the prose, I hate the structure of the novel and this book along with revelations made at the end of”Exodus of the Long Sun” has really soured me on the solar cycle.

I loved the first three books of Long Sun but I found the fourth to really drag its feet and waste a lot of the potential of the setting and characters. Silk is such an interesting character along with the rest of the cast. Short Sun seems to me, reading the jist of what happens in that series, to just torpedo a lot the characters and what made them and the setting interesting.

I think my opinion is in the minority of what I can see on the Internet.

I basically draw a line after... Soldier of arete? and stop reading Wolfe, which is maybe a little harsh but I just don't like his later books that much.