Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like some of Wolfe's stuff is non-sensical.

I've read three of the four books in BoTNS. I read the first three in succession and then took a break. I'm struggling to convince myself to finish the fourth. I found the writing of the first three interesting but at times tedious. I hate leaving things unfinished but I can't seem to get up the energy to focus on the last book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Lex Talionis posted:

I'd say that sometimes (maybe even frequently) Wolfe writes too cryptically, so that whatever meaning he intends is unreachable by his readers.

But there is genuine nonsense associated with his books: a lot of what passes for interpretation of his books, in my opinion, are stupid reader theories that get more attention than they deserve because the readers in question are obviously very smart. But even smart people (I'm thinking of people like Borski and Clute) can't help but project their own ideas on what is at times more of a Rorschach inkblot than a picture.

My advice, contra some of the others who have already responded, is if you don't like Wolfe then don't force it. Lots of people don't like Wolfe. It's true that many people have reported a much better experience the second time through BOTNS, but life's too short to read books that aren't for you.

The interesting thing (to me) about my experience is that I did actually enjoy what I was reading. I think the writing (mechanically speaking) is just hard to adapt to. The cryptic nature of the work is frustrating but not entirely off-putting. You're advice is accurate.

I'll read some non-fiction for a bit and revisit it after that :)