Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
After reading Book of the New Sun a while back and feeling most of it go right over my head, this thread got me to go and pick up Urth of the New Sun. I'm liking it more because I know to expect something dense and meandering that gives you clues and leaves you to work out their significance.

I'm only at the second chapter and there's already things that feel very Wolfian: the amazing image of Severian shooting up through the huge masts and sails of the spaceship, and that already something important happened that I had to reread and think about before I figured it out.

Severian overshoots and is floating out into space. He throws out the lead box full of his memoirs, and then "at once my destiny seized me and flung me back." It took me a minute to figure out that it was the momentum of throwing the box that made him move in the opposite direction.

It's funny how his seemingly straightforward descriptions obscure things. I'm kept off balance because I never know whether something he talks about is in fact an invention, like the necklace that gives him a "suit of air" to protect him from the vacuum of space, or something familiar, like the picture someone mentioned that he describes as the knight of a dead world and is in fact the moon landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I just finished Urth of the New Sun, and I have a couple questions about the ending I'm hoping people can shed some light on:

It seems like it's a really odd and random place to end, with Severian walking toward "where the other gods sleep." Is there significance here I'm not getting?

The last appendix about the miracle of Apu-Punchau talks about how Severian held back the dawn (which I hadn't even realized he'd done, drat it Gene Wolfe). It mentions the possibility of an eclipse, with something coming in between Urth and the sun, and says "the thoughtful reader will find little difficulty in advancing at least one plausible speculation." I must not be thoughtful because heck if I can figure it out.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Neurosis posted:

The ship.

Oooh. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.