Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

magic cactus posted:

Oh man the tunnel chapters in Exodus from The Long Sun are the best/worst example of Wolfe writing at maximum Wolfe-level. I still have only the barest grasp on what went on down there and I read each section three times at a minimum.

10/10 greatest novel ever written.

"Now I'm going to interrupt your description of a thing that happened off-camera with a different interpretation of a thing that happened on-camera and right as I'm about make a cogent point a thing will happen that ends the chapter, and when we return to this part of the plot a character is no longer where they're supposed to be or several months have passed."

I love Wolfe but there's a reason that many people have written many essays trying to figure out what exactly the hell happens in his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
On a kind of similar note, I think the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers may be anti-Wolfe in a very appealing way. The stories are straightforward. Even when the stakes are high, the resolutions come quickly and cleanly. Characters love explaining the worldbuilding elements to each other in simple terms. Wolfe is great when you are looking for a challenge, for something that is going to take a few reads and then be worth discussing afterwards. It's nice to also be able to find stuff that has quality prose but doesn't eat up a big chunk of your life as well.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
It cannot be stressed enough how important re-reads are to enjoying Wolfe. The more you read him, the richer it gets. I loved his writing from New Sun on so maybe it doesn't work if you don't have that initial sense of wonder, but even his books I initially didn't care for have gotten better over the years.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Gaius Marius posted:

I dipped out of Castleview when it seemed to get Knightly. I absolutely do not have the grounding in Arthurian legend that I have in Christianity and Greek Mythology and I got scared I was going to be left clueless as to what was happening.

I only picked up Castleview in the midst of a big Arthur binge and I think it'll still take a second read before I "get" it. For what it's worth, I'd say it's less important to know a lot of Round Table Canon Facts and more to recognize that the entire Arthurian legendry has been a fey, fluctuating thing for as long as it's existed.