Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey - I'm on my second readthrough of New Sun right now. It's pretty good when it's good but I'm getting tired of the remarks on the essential nature of women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just read "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" for the first time and I liked it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

andrew smash posted:

Honestly on reflection and after spending almost two decades now reading his work I think Fifth Head is my favorite.

Now when I posted I had just read the eponymous story, but I think I like the last one in the collection (I'm tired can't remember the title - "JWB"?) best of all/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm reading Peace right now and holy poo poo about 100 pages in this is a disorienting book

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I read Wizard Knight and liked it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Osmosisch posted:

Huh, normally I can find more to argue with in a TED talk

One of the things I find with Wolfe is I often have this period after finishing one of his books (I've also read Peace in the last few months) where I want to roll it around in my head, but then I move on to other things before posting. So this time I wanted to :justpost:.

What's the standard reading of The Wizard Knight? That the narrator is writing to Ben from the afterlife or something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

every time I see any psychoanalytical reading like that I go :chloe:

e.

I haven't gotten into the weeds of Wolfe that way - secondary texts etc - but the only reason to pull something like the Jungian collective unconscious into a reading of a text is if there's some evidence that Wolfe was into that stuff. Any other use of that kind of material to produce a reading is tautological nonsense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So what something you would point out to someone who had just finished reading Urth of the New Sun?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my bony fealty posted:

read the part again about how he thinks he sees his own face in the crowd at the inn when zombie guy is busting in with an axe

some version of Severian travels through time/different iterations of the universe observing his own life!

Oh yeah right - I caught that but forgot about it when he didn't pick it up again later

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody have trouble getting into peace? I've tried twice before and always jumped a couple chapters in. Now the gene Wolfe podcast have hit it and I want to get the drat thing finished.

Ive had trouble getting into his works before but never this bad.

I found Peace to be a bit disjoined and difficult to follow too. I enjoyed it by the time I got through it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Atlas Hugged posted:

Finally finished The Wizard Knight and it is just amazing. I don't know if I have anything more coherent to say about it, but it was a blast to read.

Ya. I swallowed book 2 in what felt like 1 sitting.

Idk why but the line "speed isn't an important thing; it's the only thing" seared its way into my head with fairly close paraphrase accuracy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ccs posted:

Yeah Green Knight is really good and a bit Wolfe-ish. But even if it wasn't, it's still one of the most beautiful looking and sounding movies I've ever exprienced, so worth checking out for that reason too.

I didn't blink for the first act

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Amazing reviews. I feel like the second one is on the verge of getting it but isn't quite there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I used a Gene Wolf quotation for introducing a concept when teaching Judo tonight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it about the kitten and ball or the two apricots

timing "is not an important thing; it's the only thing."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my bony fealty posted:

New Wolfe collection releasing at the end of October

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250846204/thewolfeatthedoor

Hey that's enough time for me to catch up on all his novels and stories I still haven't read.

I'm in the mood to read more Wolfe but so many of his books are hard to get and thus $$$. I have the first have of long sun laying around, which I got for like a buck at a charity book sale, but then the second half, every time I've looked, has been ridiculously bot priced, and none of my preferred new book stores can even order it.

Maybe I'll suck it up and buy the rest and read that this summer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cptn_dr posted:

Read Gene Wolfe in the order God intended — whatever battered paperbacks with gonzo cover art you find at your local second hand bookshop.

I have cleaned them out hardcore

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:wtc:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My local library branch had The Wizard Knight on the shelf so I picked up. I'm like 90 pages into The Knight and its not bad but feels pretty basic so far, cool Norse aesthetics notwithstanding. Just checking if there's a significant change or revelation coming up or if this style just isn't for me.

It has a really complicated cosmology with I found neat and which gets untangled as the story progresses

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whale Vomit posted:

I'm curious about this one but it's a ways down my TBR queue. Is it a spin on Arthurian fantasy?

ahhhh it's kind of a knight errant meets narnia meets norse saga meets dante's divine comedy meets british folklore meets greek myth kind of thing. Like, the basic premise involves fair folk and a geas and and a dude sucked into a different world but poo poo goes psychadellic with multiple layers of reality and stuff, all of it extremely Catholic.

Like I said, I enjoyed it, but I recognized the various component parts and I enjoyed how they were in conversation. If you're not into that kind of thing or into reading those various types of mythology, I can see it falling flat, though.

e. I came here to post that I may have gotten my hands on a copy of Epiphany of the Long Sun to go with my copy of Litany, so I may read those pretty soon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm into book 2/4 of Long Sun. Enjoying myself. I quite like the setting. There's deffo some weird Dark Souls of Reading poo poo going on here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Rob posted:

I decided to start reading Book of the new sun after having Shadow and Claw on my bookshelf for a while now and I’m kicking myself for not having read this sooner. I’m not sure what it is but it’s dragged me in insanely fast. I keep reading how difficult it is but everything moves at a very fast understandable pace. The more obscure words I feel like I can pick up context clues and figure them out. I’m super excited to really dig into it more though.

That's because it's a really good book

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm almost finished Latro 1 rn.

Book good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh yeah there is absolutely no Arthurian canon. It's a vague heap of genre stories made by countless (literally) authors in multiple languages, writing for different reasons in different genres, drawing on disparate folk tales, with a whole lot of separate stories being linked together in subsequent stories typically by different authors e.g. Sir Tristan was entirely his whole thing for a long time before he became a Knight of the Round Table. Lancelot doesn't appear in the first few hundred years of Arthurian stuff. Major characters have different origins and fates depending on the text. Even the temporal setting is a mushy thing depending on who is writing.

I haven't read Castleview (but now I'm going to obtain it) so I can't comment specifically, but Gene Wolfe is absolutely the kind of guy to revel in that uncertainty and do his own thing. I'm guessing that you probably don't need to know more about any given character than you'd get from reading Prince Valiant or The Once and Future King.