Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thinking about "V.R.T." and how much I liked the device of the officer rummaging through Marsch's personal effects. Are there any other books that tread in similar territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm finding myself having a much easier time reading Citadel of the Autarch than with the two middle books. The people Severian talks with are less cryptic and inscrutable.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Segue posted:

Also the Ascians being uncomfortably awful stereotypes of communist states left a bad feeling.

I'm pretty left wing, but the Ascians amused me a lot because the Maoist I've known pretty talks like them.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Did Wolfe ever discuss The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Are there any Wolfe stories that relate to Korea or Korean culture, other than the mention of "Kim Lee-Soong" in Claw?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Other than Seven American Nights, what are his most memorable short stories that aren't halfway to novella length?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was tremendously pleased by "How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion." It helps that it's cheerful. His novels that I've read left me with the feeling of a brick in my chest.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Goodreads reviewer posted:

Gene Wolfe's reputation is overblown. I loved The Fifth Head of Cerberus and enjoyed the collection of short stories in The Death of Doctor Island. But his longer fantasy fiction always put me off, in the same sense that being invited to play Dungeons & Dragons with a pack of socially awkward teenagers might put one off. I threw Pirate Freedom across the room halfway through, when Wolfe abandoned the effort of storytelling and simply had his time-traveling priest/pirate sit on his rear end and explain - over the course of 20 or more pages - a complicated turn of events that was at the center of the story. Wolfe is a charlatan; I'll read no more of him.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
ReReading Wolfe's twitter page is so weird.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finished Tracking Song. Three notes 1) While being its own thing, it does feel a lot like a creative prototype of TBOTNS. 2) I liked it because it felt more tender and humane and hopeful than what I've read before, which were dominated by senses of decline and people meeting ugly, lonely fates. 3) I kept noticing what seemed to be possible allusions to animal-people coming back from the dead?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I knew from the start how important Borges was to Wolfe, but I didn't know that his final story concerns the process of absorbing the memories of and thereby becoming another person.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I liked The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories, a nice way to start his "best of" collection. Great expression of the role fiction and fantasy play in a child's life.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
"Hour of Trust"'s vision of a second American civil war is especially chilling today, as its vision of high definition war broadcasts has come true.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Hardly any discussion I can find of The Hero as Werwolf notes that it may be a play on Wells' Eloi and Morlocks.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I should probably read that and The Day of the Triffids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Seven American Nights' description of American foods as exotic foreign dishes are to die for.

quote:

I had the Number One Dinner—buff-colored fish soup with the pasty American bread on the side, followed by a sandwich of ground meat and raw vegetables doused with a tomato sauce and served on a soft, oily roll. To tell thetruth, I did not much enjoy the meal, but it seems a sort of duty to sample more of the American food than I have thus far.