Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Nightside the Long Sun took me a while to get into. Not sure why, I think because the structuring of it is more low-key than New Sun and Silk is initially a less gripping figure than Severian. But Wolfe is slow-selling it, and Silk's devotion to the Outsider following his enlightenment is pretty weird once you think of it as a Catholic priest constantly asking people to pray to St. Aristides; not quite heretical but just plain off.

Also I didn't notice there is no "of" in the title for like three solid months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Based on Severian's conversation with Ouen toward the end of Citadel, Severian seems reasonably confident that a woman Ouen slept with was made a prisoner of the Torturers and that Severian was taken in by them as an infant. He mentions earlier, I think in Claw, that the children of prisoners are sometimes kept by the guild, and that female children are handed off to the Witches. So regardless of how old a Torturer apprentice could be, Severian was one from basically birth.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It almost certainly derives from the Spanish alcalde (a title used in Book of the New Sun), or mayor. It derives from the Arabic al-qadi, the judge/magistrate, which can be a bit confusing as the Latin word for "warm" sounds similar but the Spanish in this case isn't borrowing from Latin.

It's literally the mayor of Virion.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Finished a reread of Peace and I'm curious: Does anyone else find the "orthodox" interpretation of the novel to be kinda horseshit? I'm referring of course to the idea that Weer is dead and the story is somehow his ghost reliving things, which is the conclusion of most Wolfe "scholars," who seem to be wrong about nearly everything else Wolfe writes (The Gene Wolfe Literary Podcast guys made more sense of Fifth Head a year or two ago than any of those blowhards have made of it in decades, with a much simpler explanation). The main things that make this dubious to me are the following:
  • There appear to be no meaningful memories of Weer's life from the interaction with Dan French and the journalist to the point where he's in his house. Did nothing interesting happen there?
  • Weer openly speculates twice that he could be dead; once at the very beginning of the story and again when he imagines that he might have died as a kid playing with his chemistry set. It seems a little too pat for Wolfe to just outright say it if that's what he was going for.
  • In a conversation with Lois, Weer mentions the feeling of his skull being turned up by an archaeologist's spade, which people use to point to the idea that he's dead, but immediately thereafter he points out that you can't think about being dead when you're dead. This seems to otherwise be a work grounded in realism, so why should we not take Weer at his word and immediately eliminate the notion that he's dead already?
  • Weer cites his dragging leg as a symptom of his stroke, but Dan French mentions "Do you know what your secretary told me once? She said you could always tell when you were tired, because you started to drag one leg." Short of trying to explain this away with time travel or ghost projection, why would Weer be displaying this symptom long before he believes he's had a stroke?
  • When Weer is in his replicated office, he sees a workman out on one of the towers, which are supposed to basically be pictures or dioramas in fake windows; this suggests he's unable to keep straight whether he's at the plant or at the replica of the plant, and at one point he's even afraid to page his secretary for fear that she'll answer.
  • Weer can't get rid of his intrusive "memory" of Dr. Van Ness, whom he keeps thinking he's gotten rid of yet never does; he also has fairly non-specific memories of people like Van Ness and Sherry Gold dying, yet he can remember much more specifically where people like Dr. Black are buried.
  • While the book is full of ghost stories, most of the stories seem to really be about other things, so how literally we should take the idea of Weer's own story being a ghost story is dubious.
  • The orthodox reading is very poor at explaining certain recurring elements in the text, like the deaths of firstborn, especially firstborn sons (Uncle Joe, Bobby Black, Samuel Lorn, Mrs. Turner's older brother, possibly Ron Gold); practically the only surviving firstborn sons we hear about are Weer himself and Charles Turner the dog man, and it doesn't make much sense of the story of the Chinese ceramic pillow, which ends with the soldier back in the past (and comes up in the last paragraph of the novel); or why Den's father John is barely ever mentioned yet apparently sent him a reel of some kind of recorded memories as a gift which Weer never gets around to examining; or why the story of the lich in Gold's Necronomicon forgery thinks that the narrator is a ghost of an unborn future and that he is alive in the present.
  • American Elms aren't endangered; Dutch Elm Disease is a thing, but it has never made elm trees endangered.
I saw one theory proposed in I think the LA Times that the story is actually set in Weer's middle age, right around the time he's probably gotten Sherry Gold pregnant, which was an interesting take and possibly persuasive, but a bit under-developed; I could see the argument of him having a breakdown -- a loss of peace -- at the prospect of becoming a father when considering the weight of all the deaths he's caused and/or profited from and viewing Olivia's Crime and Punishment reference in his youth as truthful about how his life has gone. Since the book ends with Olivia calling to him as if he's a child after experiencing the ceramic pillow, there's also the prospect that Weer is still only around 9 years old; "Julius Smart" seems like a fake loving name and turning potatoes into Tang is rather absurd, though I don't think this notion holds together as well as the middle age one does.. I'm curious if anyone's had similar thoughts about whether the thing everybody claims is actually what's going on or not.

Also, just a random thought about something else in Peace: Weer mentions "certain financial transactions" resulting in him acquiring Mcaffee's department store which I believe ended up owned by Stewart Blaine, and it's kind of implausible to believe that he inherited Julius Smart's company -- a man who would no longer speak to him after Olivia's death and for the next 25-30 years -- as well as whatever additional wealth he appears to have acquired. Given the running theme of forgery that begins with the women at his fifth birthday party forging the treaty between the Native Americans and the Blaines, and Weer's awareness that Blaine has a fireproof document storage room, I've begun to wonder if maybe Weer and Louis Gold forged Blaine and Smart's wills so that Alden would acquire their wealth, possibly even resulting in Weer murdering Blaine by arson (there's that suspicious bit about Blaine's old house's fireplace and Aunt Olivia mentioning that Den is good at starting fires in the Lorns' house); people would already be inclined to believe that Smart would leave the company to his nephew, as when Weer tells Ron Gold about it he asks whether he expects to receive an inheritance from "Uncle Julius." It just seems very unlikely that Smart actually would leave it to him, absent some kind of fraud, which is heavily textually supported.

EDIT: Another thought that's kind of just thematic rambling: The book is sort of about alchemy, with Smart as the titular Alchemist of the third chapter, but it's interesting that alchemy tries to create gold from nothing and yet it's Gold who creates from nothing. Alchemy also being a fraud, one could say the "alchemy" of the book is Weer learning from all the deception and duplicity in his life to make something of himself by nefarious means.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 4, 2020

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Safety Biscuits posted:

How many people get killed in Peace, anyway? I recently re-read it and made it three - the boy when he's young, the lad in the juice factory fridge or whatever it was, and the girlfriend he was hunting for treasure with - did I miss any? I should have taken more notes...
We can be absolutely sure that Weer killed Bobby Black, because he more or less says so. That was an accident (though Weer was overly aggressive; he attacks Bobby for what he imagines he's going to do), at least as far as we can tell. It's also extremely likely that he killed Lois, but again that was arguably justifiable as she pulled a gun on him. The coldhouse "prank" doesn't specifically have a named culprit, but the framing at least sort of implies Weer is responsible as he knows a tremendous amount about the incident, though it can be hard to make the timeline work out due to Weer's unreliable memory.

In terms of others, Aunt Vi is run over by a car and killed; most people think Peacock was the one who hit her but if the timeline works out correctly it's possible Weer did so instead, which would explain Julius Smart not talking to him anymore. There's also Doris, the carnie Cinderella that the dog man talks about in his letter, who kills herself by electrocution. Other murders are perhaps implied but not stated; there is some reason to suspect Weer might have killed Stewart Blaine, Sherry Gold's death is never given an adequate explanation or cause, Ron Gold may have been the victim of the coldhouse prank or something else may have happened to him as he disappears around the time Weer sleeps with Sherry and isn't mentioned again except that Weer namedrops the man who replaced him at work, and Julius Smart may have actually murdered Mr. Tilly or perhaps was Mr. Tilly, his story a veiled confession of some sort.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Well, I finally managed to make myself finish Long Sun. It's probably my least favorite Wolfe thing so far and I struggled at times to get through it, but I was told Short Sun was really good and I figured I might as well do my best to get through it. Started On Blue's Waters and it's already much more interesting and enjoyable, but there's a lot I would've already missed had I skipped over Long Sun so now I don't know what to think about it.

The parts of Long Sun where incredibly important events got totally skipped over were hilarious though, and it never stopped being funny right up until the very end.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't see any reason to think the azoth doesn't exist, but rather I think the point is that using the azoth is a distinctly non-Silk thing to do, and this is a hint and reminder that we are seeing a character who is more and more Silk over time; the Horn who died on Green would probably have used an azoth without hesitation in his campaign to repair the lander, against other humans and inhumi alike, but Silk has always seen an azoth as a weapon of last resort and prefers to resolve situations with his diplomacy and cleverness rather than fight it out (consider in Dorp how he admits he probably could've escaped with Jahlee and Hide but decides not to even though he knows that the judges are biased against him). Having the azoth and not using it strikes me as thematically similar to having the secret of the inhumi and not using it, even though Silk/Horn find themselves in situations where it might be beneficial to have used either.

Also regarding the azoth specifically: The narrator in Return to the Whorl at one point explicitly refers to retrieving "Maytera Mint's gift." The only thing he could've possibly gotten from Mint is Hyacinth's azoth, as Silk gave the azoth to Mint in Calde and she never returns it during the events of Long Sun, so her returning it to him only makes sense.

As far as the dead woman, it's definitely Hyacinth and Silk tried to kill himself after she died by cutting his wrists. It's mentioned by Hound and Tansy that Silk and his wife moved into an abandoned manteion nearby, the farmer and his wife say the woman who moved in there had been sick, and Silk/Horn feel a sense of impulsive revulsion when trying to touch the knife. Hyacinth died, Silk's "spirit" was dying as the Neighbor who came to Horn on Green said, and either Horn's consciousness was (possibly temporarily) transported into Silk to give him the will to live or Silk suffered some kind of psychotic break that convinced him he was Horn and prevented him from recognizing who Hyacinth was. The latter is a bit dubious though, as Silk knows enough of Horn's life on Blue to convince Horn's own sons of his identity, and he remembers Green which Silk's body should have never been to. On the other hand, Horn knows full well what Hyacinth looks like so unless she changed massively in twenty years, Horn ought to have recognized her.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sekenr posted:

I keep thinking about the azoth and it just doesnt make any sense. He mentions a lot how he hides the azoth from everyone and never uses. Silk used it occasionally, Horn used it not once. I suspect that its a lie and there was no azoth. Note how every mention of it is very deliberate, basically you almost forgot that it even exists and than the author mentions how he hides it from everyone
I just finished Return to the Whorl and I'm not sure how you missed it definitely being there. When Hoof takes over writing the narrative, he mentions that he took the azoth from Silk before they go to Urth and hid it, then gives it back when they're attacked by pirates on Blue; Silk uses it to slice their ship in half. Silk also uses it in the battle against the inhumi at the wedding; given the numbers Hoof/Hide/Daisy/Vadsig estimate for the inhumi forces, it seems implausible that they could've prevailed without it. Notably, both times the azoth is used are when Horn's sons are directly harmed or threatened (Hoof gets shot by the pirates, Hide is attacked by Juganu).

Also, boy that sure was an ending.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I tend to agree, but Long Sun has some ardent defenders. Maybe I'd like it more on a reread, but I'm in no hurry.

That said it's absolutely worth it for Short Sun, which is amazing but complete nonsense if you don't finish Exodus.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I have the opposite reaction to Aramini, I feel like he's full of poo poo but I have no idea how I'd demonstrate him right or wrong, but I know the GWLP guys' take on Fifth Head makes far more sense than anything he came up with.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

felicibusbrevis posted:

So even if Wolfe is waffling in those interviews, there are aliens in fifth head in present day and GWLP says there aren’t??? That’s a lot of useless Chekhov’s guns on the mantle.
The interpretation makes sense, fits the text, is interesting on a more general level than a mere genre level, and doesn't need to pull from extratextual sources (which I don't fully trust and never have with pretty much any creator). Even if you were to definitively prove to me that Wolfe's books are hyper-complex referential puzzleboxes and that Short Sun is, per authorial intention, actually about the biological process of human-tree hybridization or whatever the gently caress Aramini states (and he has claimed that Wolfe kinda-sorta supported this notion in a reply to a Christmas card, of all things), that isn't what I think is compelling or interesting about Short Sun and I will happily ignore those intentions in favor of reading the books and enjoying the interpretation I find more meaningful and compelling.

I don't love Peace because of whatever its "answer" is (and I don't know that I agree with people on that anyway), I love it because of what it's saying and how it says it. If knowing or not knowing the answer does nothing for my enjoyment of Short Sun, then it doesn't matter what Wolfe's intended answer was. If knowing, or thinking I know, enhances the reading, I'm going to be understandably skeptical of an interpretation that has to reach beyond the text to support itself and which makes the work less interesting.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

felicibusbrevis posted:

gwlp is so much better. The only thing I haven’t been happy about was their Fifth Head take with them. Veil’s hypothesis and the ambiguous humanity of the people on ste croix are palpable artifacts of the text.
The ambiguity works in favor of their interpretation, at least in the sense that it doesn't matter. Whether the people of SA/SC are aliens that think they're humans and have forgotten what it means to be themselves, or whether they are humans who use the myth of the Annese (who may or may not have once existed and who may or may not still exist, but have not replaced humans) to form postcolonialist narratives about the identity and humanity of various groups for political ends, the story is ultimately possible to read as the tragic failure of a people to be a people, the Number Five experiment on a human level, an inability to move forward and become better due to the inescapability of the past. Either answer is possible and either answer would require a revolutionary change in the way the people of the planets see each other which no one is prepared for. Marsch, whatever or whoever he is, is the sort of person who could become that revolutionary, so it doesn't matter if his stories are true because he is a threat whether he's speaking of history or symbolic identity.

They may have come down too hard on "it's definitely this way," but the reading they point out is a valid perspective. This can be true even taking into account Wolfe's interview answers: VRT identifies as Annese quite strongly, seeing in his supposed native ancestry a narrative of defiance and non-dependence on the colonizing English-speakers that is not present in the beaten-down, economically marginalized French-speaking human population. The Free People could as much be a mode of thinking or a way of life; possibly there are French colonists who live out back of beyond in a harsh but independent lifestyle. Perhaps they think they are Annese, or identify as such for political reasons. VRT may well have dwelled among them multiple times in his life, or at least wished such a people did exist and realized that living that way was possible from his mother. He could very easily be, metaphorically, a shadow child or native who has replaced Marsch, even if he did so through entirely human means and only ever believed he was Annese. His identity is political as much as it is biological, and the two are entirely indistinguishable per Veil. I think the textual support for this is there, and GWLP pointed much of it out. What you see in the narrative is based on what you're expecting to see, but in the end, they arguably reach the same tragic place.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

felicibusbrevis posted:

Might as well continue the Aggro streak. Man of all the things I see bandied around, Gaiman’s how to read Wolfe essay gets brought up way too much. Wolves in the books wooooooooooo. Limited utility and even more limited cleverness.
Agreed, though I do think Wolfe did it on purpose, mostly as a dad joke. He liked silly puns and inserting his name into his work, but it doesn't really mean a whole lot in most instances and isn't worth focusing on beyond noticing it and groaning or chuckling. That said, some of his work does invite reading meaning into names, notably Long Sun where people's namesakes are considered in relation to their natures on occasion, but I can't remember too many times where finding the wolf reference was thematically relevant in that sense.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Honestly, Peace was immediately engaging to me and I almost read the entire thing in one sitting, so it's hard for me to say much.

One thing that might help is to highlight or jot down the names and descriptions of people Weer mentions. You don't need to keep track of it as such, just consider certain characters as they're mentioned in different contexts. It also helps to keep track of where you are in Weer's memories, just to know "okay, this story is happening at around this point in time."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Osmosisch posted:

I generally love Wolfe's writing, but after just reading On Blue's Waters for the first time, i gotta say i am extremely done with his naive waifish lady companions and all the raping that happens to them, at the hands of protagonists or otherwise.

Besides that, the book seems a bit of a step backwards after the rich cosmogony of the Long Sun. I hope the next two books go somewhere better.
In Green's Jungles is probably my favorite single book in Long/Short Sun, but I wasn't as high on the first or third of Short or on Long Sun in general, so it's kind of weird. It's like absolutely adoring Back to the Future: Part II as an individual film but disliking the first and third movies and not being super high on the series as a whole.

It definitely goes places after On Blue's Waters though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Going back through Peace I can see how it can be difficult to get into initially, as the first chapter is all over the place, it takes a while to get a handle on how Weer discusses his own life, and the meaning of some of his childhood stories doesn't become clear until much later. It really starts to pick up once he starts talking about living with Olivia and her suitors, and the chapter about Julius Smart and the pharmacist in Florida is so bizarrely compelling. A lot of the other (seemingly) digressive stories in the novel are interesting in their own right, but there's something distinctly unsettling about a weird modern American ghost story, with the strange behavior and the carney customers and all of that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm highly ambivalent toward On Blue's Waters and Return to the Whorl, but In Green's Jungles is one of the best genre works I've ever read. I think it's the best individual book in the Solar Cycle, with maybe Claw or Sword competing with it from New Sun, but New Sun is just better overall. I don't feel too much one way or the other about Long Sun, but Short Sun definitely does make Long Sun better in hindsight.

Peace is incredible, easy #1 Wolfe work if New Sun isn't counted as a single book.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Regarding Hyacinth: I think it's never adequately explained, even in Short Sun, because it's an aspect of Silk that Horn just doesn't get. He never liked Hyacinth, he doesn't understand what Silk saw in her, and so Long Sun goes out of its way to try to come up with some kind of vague excuse or explanation that "fits" Horn's image of Silk and reconciles why he'd basically throw away everything for her despite her seeming to not warrant it. In part we can say that Horn and Nettle's treatment of her isn't entirely fair, but on the other hand I think it might be going too far in the other direction to try to find the "real" reason Silk loved her so much, so quickly.

As someone mentioned, sometimes people just have a weird attraction, and though the Pas/Kypris thing might be part of it, it might not explain it fully. I think that's important in humanizing Silk, in proving that there is a real Silk who doesn't just exist "in the book my mother and father wrote" (as Hoof puts it to Gyrfalcon), who was never fully accessible to Horn. And yeah I get the irony of that when what happens in Short Sun happens, but even there some weirdness is going on with the narrator either periodically forgetting about Hyacinth or confounding her with Seawrack. Basically, we never "get" Silk's attraction to Hyacinth, and that shows that Silk isn't solely motivated by goodness and the higher purpose of the Outsider and can just be in love with someone because something about her clicks with him, and that's all we'll ever be able to pull from it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If Vodalus wants to return to the stars, then he probably sees Urth as a lovely hole beneath all contempt. No reason not to hand over the keys to Abaia and friends on the way out the doorbit if they want it so badly. That Urth might be special in some way because it is Urth, because it is the spiritual origin of humanity, is entirely outside his concern. He has no interest in being a good steward or bringing about a renewal of the planet.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lex Talionis posted:

I just want to express the view that In Green's Jungles is just amazing and for me justifies a lot of the sloggy parts of later Long Sun and OBW. Unfortunately I didn't like the last book nearly as much but not in a way that invalidates what came before.
I don't really like Long Sun and I'm mixed on Short Sun, but weirdly In Green's Jungles is maybe my second favorite single volume Wolfe work after Peace and easily my favorite out of the Solar Cycle.

I think it's that it is, in part, basically harder into the "fantasy" part of science fantasy than any other part. The elevator pitch I've always used for the book is "A man who isn't a wizard tries to convince people he isn't a wizard and fails spectacularly."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lex Talionis posted:

Short Sun:

• Because Long Sun is actually just Horn making stuff up years later, I take it all to mean that Silk though broadly speaking a good guy was hardly the perfect saint we see (a saint wouldn't be suicidal for one thing; those moments are very jarring in Long Sun). The merged Silkhorn is basically a synthetic person formed out of Horn's hero worship, as if you trained an AI on the character of Silk from Horn's Long Sun. So the saintly Silk that Horn imagined, though fake, really does come to life. Like Jesus, Saint Silk isn't going to establish a kingdom on earth even though that's what his followers expect and want. Instead he delivers some doctrinal updates to Horn's Old Testament and peaces out.

I'm still tickled by the mutually-exclusive possibilities that either Horn got his wish to imitate Silk but was condemned to act out his perfect fictional Silk until that perfect Silk subsumed what remained of his spirit or that Silk actually was every bit the self-tormenting Good Man that Horn guessed he was, if not significantly moreso, and the story is a subversion of the "Don't meet your heroes" trope by showing that sometimes your heroes are actually better than you expected -- but as Hoof points out in the part he writes, an Actual Good Man is kind of loving terrifying to anyone who does not measure up to the same standards.

I also disagree with most of the sweeping unified theories of Long/Short Sun, and I think the basic core of the books is a meditation on what it means to actually be a good and righteous person in a fallen and deceptive world. Silk is a good man, but to be a good man in a bad world, to attempt to do the will of God and bring good from evil, is a tremendous burden that no sensible human being can possibly handle without their will breaking down.

I think in Long/Short Sun Wolfe accepts the idea common to Christian tradition and Catholicism specifically that the explanation for God permitting evil is that it's there for us to overcome... but reluctantly, and painfully. We can see this in the story Silk tells about the farmer who meets Pas after he dies and says he would have made the world better (to which Pas replies "Yes, that was what I wanted you to do"), and in Hound -- one of the most unambiguously good-coded characters in Short Sun outside of Silk himself -- saying that he and his wife ought to go to Green instead of Blue, because that's where they're needed. The whole thing with the inhumi having humanity's worst qualities only because humanity themselves display them and the Green Man in New Sun being a human being who does not rely on predation to live suggests the remote possibility of overcoming evil once and for all.

Yet I have to think that Wolfe, like Horn and Silk, sees this as a near-insurmountable task even for the very best of us. And the Outsider is not a God of love and comfort; Silk even has to rationalize that he can't expect the Outsider to actually help him in any way and then convince himself that he was receiving help despite the hellish near-death scenarios he faces constantly. That even Silk has to metaphorically strike a deal with the devil in commanding the loyalty of the inhumi at times to accomplish his ends casts a pessimistic view of the Outsider's intentions. Sort of like Wolfe is saying that yes, God brings good from evil, but the process is so painful and wearying that it almost doesn't seem worth it (and when will it ever really end?). It feels like Gene had this issue where he believed but did not understand, and God was to him very much like the Outsider: Inscrutable, hard to trust but impossible to truly doubt, so subtle it isn't clear whether he's doing anything (to say nothing of doing enough).

It's also in some sense a Typhon redemption story of a sort, exploring the idea that a man of his talents and charisma could be an agent of tremendous good even as he could be an agent of tremendous evil, merely by the circumstances of how he was raised, which again fits with the themes of God bringing good from evil. But was it worth having Typhon just to have Silk? Which has interesting theological implications and I don't know if Wolfe was quite wrestling with anything that complex, but the Solar Cycle is absolutely anything but orthodox or catholic/Catholic in its theological suggestions; portraying a Christ figure as an executioner is pretty loving wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think the whole point of the Solar Cycle is a meditation on the nature and relationship of good and evil on the highest, most divine level, as seen from the lowest, most human level. Wolfe correctly diagnoses that evil exists and that the only way to reconcile this that makes sense with the idea of a benevolent God is that all evil is ultimately twisted to serve good purposes. He then explores extremes of this, like New Sun's necessary good act being Severian's execution of the entire Urth to renew it and bring about the Green Man who need not live by predation, or the more obvious Long Sun example of the Plan of Pas serving the Outsider's needs and thus being allowed to succeed, more or less, or Short Sun's inhumi and the way their predatory tendencies are the result of the same tendencies in the humans they prey upon. I think his goal in speculative fiction is to push the envelope and ask himself if these things really can be justified, and if they still allow one to say that God is "good."

Where Long/Short Sun I think is at its most interesting is that he then turns it around reflexively to ask what it means, if the world is full of evil being turned slowly toward some eventual promised (but not presently foreseeable) good, to be a "good man." Silk is a man who is in some sense too good, too sensitive, too helpful, too self-sacrificing, yet he goes down paths that would in most other characters be seen as morally compromising and the reader isn't entirely sure if he actually has been compromised by them, or if he is somehow so good that he is capable of weaponizing evil toward good ends in just the same manner as the Outsider. Hoof sums it up in his brief narrative section when thinking about his father: If you're that good, the rules are different, as if one gains the ability to permit and utilize evil means at a certain level of ethical development.

But I'm not sure that Wolfe himself believed that; I think we'd be right to question whether that is actually true, and if it isn't, what then of God (and I think this may explain Short Sun's development of the Outsider into a more uncomfortable presence, in spite of the narrator's appeals to him)? I don't know what his answer would have been, but it is a troubling meditation when viewed through a theological lens.