Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Arujei posted:

Jonas is the best, but I'm wondering what caused him to start going "sane" in the antechamber. Plus how long was he in space, where he knew what Athens was and could remember Kimleesoong, but when his ship returned it could only crash on Urth? Secondly, how could Jonas be Miles? Jonas was a robot, but had become a reverse-cyborg.

Well, I suppose it's time to buy Urth of the New Sun now and read it!

Concerning Jonas: On a purely mechanical (heh) level, my guess is that being hit with the electric weapon at the door of the antechamber sparked some dormant circuit in Jonas' robot brain, which messed him up / made him realise he'd just been loving about wasting time on Urth and flee through the mirror. Furthermore, he doesn't necessarily remember Athens and the Korean names because he's been in space since the days of our Earth, but because his superior computer memory banks contain all of Urth's history and his being messed up causes it to come back in fragments, prompted by Severian's historical story.

As to coming back, perhaps he finds his way back to his original full capabilities as a spaceship's AI and projects his consciousness into a dead body near Severian in the hope of finding Jolenta again? Maybe not, it seems equally likely that Miles was never Jonas, and simply abandons Severian in disgust after he shows himself to be a total headcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Gotta have faith, in Wolfe!

Nice one

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

I was pretty drat sure that Jolenta cut her own wrist, Severian and Dorcas caught her before she actually bled to death then and there, but she eventually died from that, her degeneration after parting ways with whats his face who's name I've forgotten, and the elements.

Are there any characters in the sequence that really take their own lives? Severian claims he sincerely planned on doing so on at least one occasion, but this is expressed long after the fact. Thecla is compelled to destroy herself by torture, which destruction is sympathetically hastened by Severian - and after her 'revival', Thecla rages against her sense of betrayal and abandonment. It feels like suicide isn't really dealt with on similar moral-philosophic terms to other forms of death in this extremely morbid text - maybe there are instances where it occurred that are elided or hidden, like so much of the narration, or maybe I'm missing a theme here? Good catch tho.

edit: I just half-remembered the Ascians who jam the butts of their weapons into the soil and blow off their own heads. Not exactly characters, are they? How about the zöanthrops? I had better think more on this

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 27, 2018